Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 02:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Phil is not a Christian or even a “cultural Christian.” I’d have to know more about him to determine his worldview.

There are a lot of non-Christians who rarely enter a church except for weddings and funerals. What does that have to do with the number of Christians?

What are you implying the ‘numbers’ of Christians means?
I know when I sit down and have a conversation with Christians many of them concede they believe in something more (undefined because they are not sure what it is) and just follow Christianity because it is just easier for now.

Kind of like they believe in god (but they arenmt sure what it is) but religion is just where I born kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 02:27 PM

50,975 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Phil is not a Christian or even a “cultural Christian.” I’d have to know more about him to determine his worldview.

There are a lot of non-Christians who rarely enter a church except for weddings and funerals. What does that have to do with the number of Christians?

What are you implying the ‘numbers’ of Christians means?
Please don't tell you never heard a christian say or imply that since you folks are in the majority that you must be right. I'm not going to bother to look for it, but just that has been posted in this forum either yesterday or the day before. The numbers game.

First of all, I have never believed that numbers make something right or best.

If we take the OT and NT and make a list of all the teachings christians are supposed to fulfill, what percent of christians would you make an honest effort to fulfill all those teachings? What grade would you give yourself at fulfilling all the teachings in the NT and OT?

Old 01-02-2021, 06:29 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Oh yes, the people who follow Ayn Rand and Jordan Peterson.
Harry we belong to two different tribes. I recognize the tribalism, I hope you do too.

In my tribe we like to have a friendly discussion and smoke the pipe of peace. Your tribe is less friendly amd full of acrimony.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Desmond Tutu did not fight Apartheid to replace his religion, did he?
That is a confusing statement, Can you expand that?

Old 01-02-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Please stop trying to assign motives to me. I am asking because I am curious. If you don't wish to answer, then you can say so, or ignore me.

I too enjoy beautiful music, architecture, and lovely decorations. I can see appreciating those things. However, I can appreciate them just fine without attending any religious services.
I hear! You are correct!

However, the appreciation is greater if there is an emotional connection. Or if the activity evokes childhood and teen years. The reaffirmation of the past glory is beautiful.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I've been to a Christmas Mass and several Jewish services although I do not understand Hebrew. I also enjoy Gregorian Chants. You, just like AA and others, seem hell bent on pigeon holing everyone into some arbitrary box in order to make your personal stance seem both the most logical and most balanced. It drags down discussions to a stand still.
The Jews have awesome traditions, no doubt! The tradition is a great unifier.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
So no philosophical answer to why are we moral?
I provided an explanation in earlier posts. Go to my statistics and study my writings.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
People like Julian use the phrase 'echo chamber' to imply the arguments are repeatedly asserted without rational thought, but it would also echo truths such as 2 + 2 = 4.

It is an irrational dismissal used to avoid making a rational response. Normally Christians who's religion is like a cult use this type of argument, and it is amusing that someone attempting to educate us is using the same tactics.
You are the first person I have ever seen that justifies the concept of staying in the echo chamber.

An echo chamber refers to situations in which beliefs are amplified or reinforced by communication and repetition inside a closed system and insulated from rebuttal. WIKI

Last edited by Julian658; 01-02-2021 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 08:40 PM

2,962 posts, read 867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please don't tell you never heard a Christian say or imply that since you folks are in the majority that you must be right. I'm not going to bother to look for it, but just that has been posted in this forum either yesterday or the day before. The numbers game.

First of all, I have never believed that numbers make something right or best.

If we take the OT and NT and make a list of all the teachings Christians are supposed to fulfill, what percent of Christians would you make an honest effort to fulfill all those teachings? What grade would you give yourself at fulfilling all the teachings in the NT and OT?
Numbers don’t influence my beliefs. That’s the ad populum fallacy.

Do you think the behaviour of some Christians is a factor in determining whether or not the God of the Bible is real?

Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 PM

50,975 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Numbers don’t influence my beliefs. That’s the ad populum fallacy.

Do you think the behaviour of some Christians is a factor in determining whether or not the God of the Bible is real?
I'd say the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism