Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 10:23 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, I apologize fore the word cult. All I am trying to point out is that any extreme ideology can cloud reasoning. You and Mensa had no problems answering the question whereas others are paralyzed.
To a large extent, the phrase "extreme ideology" is in the eye of the beholder. Your attitude toward solving racial inequality would seem extreme to MANY people, but it is to the point of worshipping the status quo. I know you don't see it that way, but many would.

And you intentionally sprinkle your posts with 'extreme words' with the intention of provoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I have answered the question. I will tell you if you are correct when you explain how we determine what is moral. Instead of your usual opinion, try making a rational argument for once.
Morality is a social construct, there is no point of reference. What is wrong for you may be seen as correct for others. There is no such thing as good or evil. However, the origins of morality are related to evolution.

The origin of morality is about passing DNA to the next generation. In that context one helps anyone with kinship. Obviously an identical twin is preferred over a sibling. (100% shared DNA versus 50% shared DNA). next comes the cousins, and last the distant relatives.

Quote:
Another invention. You are confusing amusement with anger.
OK, I am glad you are not angry!

Old 01-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To a large extent, the phrase "extreme ideology" is in the eye of the beholder. Your attitude toward solving racial inequality would seem extreme to MANY people, but it is to the point of worshipping the status quo. I know you don't see it that way, but many would.

And you intentionally sprinkle your posts with 'extreme words' with the intention of provoking.
Racial inequality will be solved when the a negative stereotype is changed into a positive stereotype. That is not an extreme position. Can you see why it may work? Is this immoral for an atheist?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Falsely accusing someone of labeling someone a troll is against the rules of the forum.

But lying is expected behaviour from dishonest posters.
I am not interested in a battle of insulting remarks. Carry on!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:05 AM

15,865 posts, read 6,342,681 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken I thought you chastised someone else for not making comebacks.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Racial inequality will be solved when the a negative stereotype is changed into a positive stereotype. That is not an extreme position. Can you see why it may work? Is this immoral for an atheist?
You miss the point of my post.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
You miss the point of my post.
Way to go Phet!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm going to remember that you said that.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I'm going to remember that you said that.
Sometimes I will contradict your argument. You may take that as an insult, however, in my book is just free speech.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Morality is a social construct, there is no point of reference. What is wrong for you may be seen as correct for others. There is no such thing as good or evil. However, the origins of morality are related to evolution.
No, morality is not just a social construct, although our culture does influence it. We also have an innate morality, which is why this thread asking atheists is irrelevant. And when we ignore what you call tribalism, we get a better system of morality, the point I was hoping you would come to if you thought about morality more philosophically and rationally.

You may not like that system of morality, as it leads to conclusions such as you may need to pay more tax, or tolerate the people you do not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism