Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is atheism to you?
My atheism is simply a lack of belief in God 39 84.78%
My atheism is more than simply a lack of belief in God. 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 06:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm not terribly concerned with what "some atheists" do or think, honestly.

I wasn't answering for them, nor would I ever try to. I was answering for me and only me.

Yeah, many people are only worried about themselves. People like me are just trying to sort out the noise and use the best information we can to form a belief. In a belief forum that is.

If we are trying to be as logical as we can. Then its simple.

What is more reliable? What matches what we see better? What matches our experiences better?

There is some thing more.

vs

the reverse claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 04:17 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above, ahhhhhh would that be the way atheists "ask theists what they think and feel, and then actually believe them" ????
As we are responding to religious claims, we already usually (emphasis on that usually) know what they think and feel, because they tell us.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
bold above, ahhhhhh would that be the way atheists "ask theists what they think and feel, and then actually believe them" ????
"... we are only responding to theists ..."

lmao, can you imagine trying to even sell atheism as that? "just trust me" on this, it feels so good it must be right." Its like selling a dude died and rose.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:13 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As we are responding to religious claims, we already usually (emphasis on that usually) know what they think and feel, because they tell us.
And in any case you are responding to an ad hominem. If it is right for theists to listen and respect atheists, and some hypothetical atheist doesn't do the inverse, that neither justifies nor excuses theists continuing to not listen or be respectful to us. So "what-about-ism" is not the thing for theists to deploy here. You can always find or invent a specific counterexample to wag your finger at but that does not invalidate the actual point under discussion. It is either valid, or it is not.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:37 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
There is a large difference in discussing belief between a believer that thinks and feels and the believers who know and their belief is a fact. The former one accepts their feelings and thoughts and the latter not so much so.

Do you accept an atheist saying they do not believe in a God due to lack of sufficient evidence? Have you personally ever told them that there was sufficient evidence for they to believe in a God? Never done that?

Old 06-19-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There is a large difference in discussing belief between a believer that thinks and feels and the believers who know and their belief is a fact. The former one accepts their feelings and thoughts and the latter not so much so.

Do you accept an atheist saying they do not believe in a God due to lack of sufficient evidence? Have you personally ever told them that there was sufficient evidence for they to believe in a God? Never done that?
Yes, until such time as we start listing observations for what we believe in. "I don't know that stuff so ... " is fine for the first 100 or so posts. But when we get to years and years and thousands of them, at some point we have look in the mirror and be honest.

But we both know that doesn't bode well for the faithful. Be them my-god-only or no-my-type-of-god-only believers.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yes, until such time as we start listing observations for what we believe in. "I don't know that stuff so ... " is fine for the first 100 or so posts. But when we get to years and years and thousands of them, at some point we have look in the mirror and be honest.

But we both know that doesn't bode well for the faithful. Be them my-god-only or no-my-type-of-god-only believers.
Once again I do not really understand what your post means

Old 06-19-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Once again I do not really understand what your post means
I believe you do. I believe your are willfully ignoring logical processes to sway people to your statement of belief about god.

I deal with open and honest evaluation of all belief using all evidence. List the claims. What one matches what we see better.

Does "I honestly don't know squat about anything" match what we see better than my belief in some thing more is going on around us? When does the position "I don't know squat." actually hold any weight in evaluations?

Ask yourself this badland .

At what point do we tell people that don't know squat to sit down and be quite or go try and learn something and come back to discuss what we are saying?

100 posts?
5 years?

h0ow about 1000's of posts overs years and years across many sites?

Last edited by Arach Angle; 06-19-2022 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I believe you do. I believe your are willfully ignoring logical processes to sway people to your statement of belief about god.

I deal with open and honest evaluation of all belief using all evidence. List the claims. What one matches what we see better.

Does "I honestly don't know squat about anything" match what we see better than my belief in some thing more is going on around us? When does the position "I don't know squat." actually hold any weight in evaluations?

Ask yourself this badland .

At what point do we tell people that don't know squat to sit down and be quite or go try and learn something and come back to discuss what we are saying?

100 posts?
5 years?

h0ow about 1000's of posts overs years and years across many sites?
How can I determine whether I don't know to some unclear claim? Something more must mean something to you but lacks any substance.

And repeating something more for thousands of posts across various forums does nothing to explain what you mean. To me there is no logical difference between I don't know and something more without any idea what is meant by that.

Can you see my problem in accepting a undefined and undefinable word plus more than what. No it is not rational or logical to simply accept a undefined claim by an unknown person on the Internet.

Especially from a poster making all kinds of accusations of me and other unknown posters.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
How can I determine whether I don't know to some unclear claim? Something more must mean something to you but lacks any substance.

And repeating something more for thousands of posts across various forums does nothing to explain what you mean. To me there is no logical difference between I don't know and something more without any idea what is meant by that.

Can you see my problem in accepting a undefined and undefinable word plus more than what. No it is not rational or logical to simply accept a undefined claim by an unknown person on the Internet.

Especially from a poster making all kinds of accusations of me and other unknown posters.
Lets not be coy badland. I do not respect you and I know you don't respect me. And I do not care. I only care about what you are saying in terms of a belief.

Do you think the belief that there is something more going on around us is reliable or that the reverse claim/belief is more reliable.

Where does "I do not know squat" fit/relate to these discussions. Keep in mind, I mean after thousands of posts over years and years.

Its a simple question badland. We are atheist that do not do god belief so don't even think about a deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism