Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 06:04 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not to convert you in anything like the sense that you are familiar, but certainly you get to be a 2nd and maybe in the south, 3rd class citizen. The key, as usual, is to avoid substantive discussion of theological matters. Probably doable up here, not so much down South, since, as you print out, everyone down there is endlessly triangulating to figure out if you're in-group or out-group, bless your heart!!

As long as I walk this earth, even gently expressed atheism will be like farting at the dinner table. Someday maybe it will be different.
The reason being, unlike agnosticism, atheism is a polarized position. The announcement would be like a whistle call. You've made a stance and desire to debate with those who care.
Perhaps the mark of a devout atheist is one who has no regard for a potential afterlife or any Creator Gods, which in turn leaves a vacuum for some atheists to be consumed by their fellowman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 06:33 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
The reason being, unlike agnosticism, atheism is a polarized position. The announcement would be like a whistle call. You've made a stance and desire to debate with those who care.
Perhaps the mark of a devout atheist is one who has no regard for a potential afterlife or any Creator Gods, which in turn leaves a vacuum for some atheists to be consumed by their fellowman.
It need not be a polarizing position, anymore than preferring a Chevrolet to a Ford or sports team A to B needs to be. Well in the case of atheism it might be more like preferring walking to driving a car, but the point holds, lol.

The real problem is not atheism but many people's over-identification with personal beliefs, to the point that to question or not accept the belief is an attempt to annihilate their very identity.

I'm a perfectly harmless and kind person and if no one ever is told about what I actually don't hold beliefs about, I'm literally indistinguishable from the next person, particularly outside the Bible Belt where it's unremarkable that people don't go to church.

I virtually never offer up info on my (dis)beliefs in real life for just this reason. The closest thing to a quality debate concerning weighty matters happens in places like this for me, so this is how I work out the nuances of my own thinking. In real life I'm just a slightly eccentric software developer with a wife who is probably out of his league, nothing more. It endlessly fascinates me how, should I ever reveal my actual thoughts on the divine, I would suddenly transform into a hideous gargoyle with an agenda to destroy society itself. That is why I am convinced the problem is in between other people's ears. I certainly didn't put it there.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:41 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
It need not be a polarizing position, anymore than preferring a Chevrolet to a Ford or sports team A to B needs to be. Well in the case of atheism it might be more like preferring walking to driving a car, but the point holds, lol.

The real problem is not atheism but many people's over-identification with personal beliefs, to the point that to question or not accept the belief is an attempt to annihilate their very identity.

I'm a perfectly harmless and kind person and if no one ever is told about what I actually don't hold beliefs about, I'm literally indistinguishable from the next person, particularly outside the Bible Belt where it's unremarkable that people don't go to church.

I virtually never offer up info on my (dis)beliefs in real life for just this reason. The closest thing to a quality debate concerning weighty matters happens in places like this for me, so this is how I work out the nuances of my own thinking. In real life I'm just a slightly eccentric software developer with a wife who is probably out of his league, nothing more. It endlessly fascinates me how, should I ever reveal my actual thoughts on the divine, I would suddenly transform into a hideous gargoyle with an agenda to destroy society itself. That is why I am convinced the problem is in between other people's ears. I certainly didn't put it there.
It endlessly fascinates me how, should I ever reveal my actual thoughts on sex, I would suddenly transform into a hideous gargoyle with an agenda to destroy society itself.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:57 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
It endlessly fascinates me how, should I ever reveal my actual thoughts on sex, I would suddenly transform into a hideous gargoyle with an agenda to destroy society itself.
Ah, so Certain Things are simply Not Said, lest reality itself begin to unravel.

The parallel to sex is interesting, as it seems like a more personal topic than religion. The latter is certainly discussable at least by mutual consent with persons outside your immediate family. Or so one would think.

Ah but it IS discussable ... as long as it's the fine points of one religion, not different ones and certainly not NO religion.

I think I have that about right ...

This is really just about what society is or isn't ready for. It is not ready for too much difference. It is not even really ready for different skin colors, though we have tried to manage it.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:07 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
It's perceived as a polarizing position. I listened to Meghan Phelps call herself an unbeliever because of the baggage attached to atheist. There is much discrimination but I think it's getting better.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:19 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Not to convert you in anything like the sense that you are familiar, but certainly you get to be a 2nd and maybe in the south, 3rd class citizen. The key, as usual, is to avoid substantive discussion of theological matters. Probably doable up here, not so much down South, since, as you print out, everyone down there is endlessly triangulating to figure out if you're in-group or out-group, bless your heart!!

As long as I walk this earth, even gently expressed atheism will be like farting at the dinner table. Someday maybe it will be different.
LOL! That reminded me of the scene in "The Nutty Professor" where they are all sitting at the dinner table, farting. Here's hoping that one day we won't be seen as devil worshipers and evil but I don't think that's going to happen in my lifetime. We are, after all, in the end times so when we're "left behind" we can enjoy our time without those annoying Fundamentalists. I do need some sort of social interaction but honestly if someone says god, I'm out. I guess I have to get out of the South to meet like-minded people. Because there aren't any here.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:06 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
I briefly went to a Universalist " church " as a child when my acedemic parents ( college professors ) were searching for some meaning.

I learned about dinosaurs in sunday school. Was kinda cool for me at that young age, compared to other churches they tried.

What would attract me now, is the search for truth.

Personally. I believe "Truth " to be synonomous with the divine.
I know many do not share that view.

But a group, any group, searching for truth, has my vote

Last edited by Oakback; 09-17-2022 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-17-2022, 01:04 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I briefly went to a Universalist " church " as a child when my acedemic parents ( college professors ) were searching for some meaning.

I learned about dinosaurs in sunday school. Was kinda cool for me at that young age, compared to other churches they tried.

But a group, any group, searching for truth, has my vote
Do you think that devil worshippers are searching for truth?
Do you think that witches are searching for truth?
Do you think that those who were following Jim Jones were searching for the truth?

Old 09-17-2022, 01:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you think that devil worshippers are searching for truth?
Do you think that witches are searching for truth?
Do you think that those who were following Jim Jones were searching for the truth?
Yes. But unfortunately their road was going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Oakback; 09-17-2022 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 01:51 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

Roughly 1.2 billion and more do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism