Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 10:39 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That makes it two of us.
Do only buddhists earn karma? Atheists never do … because why? What does your Buddhism say about atheists?
Did I ever say only Buddhists earn karma? No
Did I ever say atheists don't earn karma? No
Buddhists generally are atheists (although we have the right to think and therefore have a different opinion).

Old 04-06-2023, 10:58 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because it is used in common language without it's religious meaning?
I agree it is commonly used by theists and religious folks as it is ‘a profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.’ Folks often use it to imply ‘the devil is at work’.

Hence the irony re: religion is evil. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see the word "god" there, or any other word or phrase that implies "god" or "godly force".
Didn’t you say at one point you were a principal? God’s counterpart, per definition, i.e. a ‘wicked supernatural force’. Are all of you going to take ownership and argue/defend the use of ‘evil’ now? Too funny; I simply stated as an atheist, I find it amusing when other atheists use the word, particularly in the context of describing religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
More broadly, it's clear to me that religion keeps the world ignorant and controlled.
There is ignorance everywhere.

Quote:
But not because they are secular people. That is the important difference.
There is no difference. Sick human beings are sick human beings, whether they are religious or not. A priest who is a pedophile isn’t a pedophile because he is a priest anymore than someone’s gay cousin Joe is a pedophile because he is an atheist and a loner. Misguided trust has simply given them opportunity, but it didn’t make them who they are.

Quote:
The irony is CorporateCowboy appears to admit this himself.
Actually, you don’t understand the simple (legal) concept I’m presenting or you’re being willfully ignorant, as it does not fit your narrative of anti-theism. One more time. It is person(s) who cause harm (or commit a crime), not religion in and of itself; however, it certainly can be related to hyper-religiosity and psychiatric disturbances. Obviously, the first amendment speaks to (and protects) religion (and atheism) in and of itself relative to one’s belief/disbelief - not religious (or any) folks who commit a crime.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:16 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Are all of you going to take ownership and argue/defend the use of ‘evil’ now? Too funny; I simply stated as an atheist, I find it amusing when other atheists use the word, particularly in the context of describing religion.
Ok, well Sam Harris is surely one of the most prominent intellectual atheists out there, and I know he uses the word evil, all the time. It's a core part of much of his philosophy he argues for, including his (controversial) arguing for there being objective concepts of secular morality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-hkpqVlYw

I believe Richard Dawkins, and plenty of other prominent atheists use the term 'evil' as well.

Religious people definitely don't have sole ownership of that word or concept.

Quote:
A priest who is a pedophile isn’t a pedophile because he is a priest anymore than someone’s gay cousin Joe is a pedophile because he is an atheist and a loner. Misguided trust has simply given them opportunity, but it didn’t make them who they are.
I've highlighted your own words here, which describe the harm that the organized Catholic church does to innocent children. It doesn't make predators- it provides the context for which predators can be predators.

Quote:
It is person(s) who cause harm (or commit a crime), not religion in and of itself
And the gun is an inanimate object and doesn't get up and walk out the door and decide to go shoot people. But the gun is surely directly involved in the ability for someone to go shoot dozens of people in 5 minutes.

Surely some ideas are better than others, and I don't see how that could not be the case. Atheism/secularism/humanism, vs traditional religion, is a modern war of ideas.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:18 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
And just to be clear, even if morality is subjective (which is the position of most atheists), evil is just a descriptive word and can still definitely be used to communicate a concept.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Ok, well Sam Harris is surely one of the most prominent intellectual atheists out there, and I know he uses the word evil, all the time.
If your goal is to be like Sam Harris, then go for it; however, surely you realize he’s not a god or the final authority on a matter of opinion. Hence, it’s a bizarre ‘defense’. I find it amusing when atheists reference ‘evil’ to describe religion, as theists use the term to describe atheism i.e. we are evil/the work of the devil (and we’re all going to hell). As an atheist, I don’t see the world (or people in it) as ‘good/virtuous’ or ‘bad/evil’. It’s too simplistic; and from my perspective, it’s a religious judgement - not one of legality (which is what matters as a society). Hence my (continual) point re: the first amendment (and why I’m anti anti-theism, so to speak :-).

Then again, I’ve never been one to jump on a bandwagon relative to others’ thoughts or choice of terminology; hence the reason I’m an atheist (and a lawyer) i.e. I’m capable of thinking for myself and have no need to emulate others.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:10 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

Didn’t you say at one point you were a principal? God’s counterpart, per definition, i.e. a ‘wicked supernatural force’. Are all of you going to take ownership and argue/defend the use of ‘evil’ now? Too funny; I simply stated as an atheist, I find it amusing when other atheists use the word, particularly in the context of describing religion.

No, that's what you're making up.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, that's what you're making up.
No, I’m not - lol. Reference the Oxford Languages (English) Dictionary i.e. ‘profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force’; it’s one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of languages today.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:38 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
If your goal is to be like Sam Harris, then go for it; however, surely you realize he’s not a god or the final authority on a matter of opinion. Hence, it’s a bizarre ‘defense’. I find it amusing when atheists reference ‘evil’ to describe religion, as theists use the term to describe atheism i.e. we are evil/the work of the devil (and we’re all going to hell). .
It is interesting how atheists in this forum use the Christian tropes in several posts. Quoting Sam Harris and the other 3 Horsemen is the same as the many quotes from Mathew et al all over the Religion forums. Both hold the adherents in thrall. Is it that much of " free thinking" when ideas are formed and expounded based on these texts and lectures? Not that different as quoting teachings of Quran, Gita, or the Bible is for the religious.

Is it because religion gives a nice blue print to build on? The vocabulary is already available? Is that being lazy or just not very inspired? After all atheism has been around for a long time, as long as religion. In any case following the same model does not seem very free or original thinking to me.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:57 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
That makes it two of us.
Do only buddhists earn karma? Atheists never do … because why? What does your Buddhism say about atheists?
What I find so laughable about this is: Buddha himself was an atheist. So I guess he didn't get any karma, either (LOL).

There are plenty of Buddhists who are, for all intents and purposes, atheists. Buddha is not necessarily a god, and there are a lot of Buddhists who do not consider him a deity. Some Buddhists do - some Buddhists don't.

Which makes Buddhism one of the few religions I have nothing whatsoever against.

I only despise religions that teach people to put their God before everything and everyone else. Gods that demand love and praise and worship and constant genuflection as if these particular deities are forever suffering from Alzheimer's.

"Oh, uh, I'm the Lord God of Everything? Oh! Uh ... thanks for reminding me. For the last two thousand years, I thought I was a 10 year-old girl with pigtails - named Tiffany. Without all of that praising and stuff, I never would've known who and what I was!"

Old 04-06-2023, 12:58 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
It is interesting how atheists in this forum use the Christian tropes in several posts. Quoting Sam Harris and the other 3 Horsemen is the same as the many quotes from Mathew et al all over the Religion forums. Both hold the adherents in thrall. Is it that much of " free thinking" when ideas are formed and expounded based on these texts and lectures? Not that different as quoting teachings of Quran, Gita, or the Bible is for the religious.

Is it because religion gives a nice blue print to build on? The vocabulary is already available? Is that being lazy or just not very inspired? After all atheism has been around for a long time, as long as religion. In any case following the same model does not seem very free or original thinking to me.
Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism