Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2023, 10:35 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm gonna say this ONE more time, in case you actually don't understand it (even though I'm 90% sure you do understand it and are just willfully misrepresenting):

Some of us atheists criticize some of the religious IDEAS out there, specifically the ones that we see actively enabling HARM to human beings. We criticize aspects of the content of the dogma and fundamentalist viewpoints thereof, and we criticize the organized social aspects that these religious ideas bringing about.

It is not about Muslims or Hindus, as when you use those words you are talking about people. If anything, it's concern for those people. Like, when we point out abuse in the Catholic church, obviously those are Catholics that are being abused. And it's gay Muslims that are being executed in Islamic societies.

Got that through your head, yet? Can we actually have a fair discussion about the topic, or are you just here to annoy and attack and misrepresent atheists and anti-theists? I would prefer the discussion, but you've got to listen and acknowledge when we explain things directly.
Actually, the bolded...is pretty much impossible when one is trying to have a discussion with a person who virtually always 'sticks up' for religion. Those are the people who are infatuated with religion. Who can't see any weaknesses, any faults...and therefore see no need for holding the religion responsible. It's whitewashing of those who should be held to the highest responsibility, who should be setting the example.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:41 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
The only people to bring reform to any religion are those who are within it. Anything else is the old orientalist approach towards cultures and communities that thinks it can impose its ideas on other people whose cultures it neither understands or respects. That approach is what has radicalized those same communities. this is such an old way of thinking that only the deluded would think of.
when religion is attacked and judged it is ALWAYS about the people. Always. Maybe that can penetrate a few heads.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Got that through your head, yet? Can we actually have a fair discussion about the topic, or are you just here to annoy and attack and misrepresent atheists and anti-theists? I would prefer the discussion, but you've got to listen and acknowledge when we explain things directly.

You, Cb2008, AND Phetaroi do not represent me as an atheist…or my husband & family. IMO, there are more atheists with normal lives like us & way less anger than ppl who think like you. But you are part of the “chosen few” in the thread, I know. Seriously tho, why are you so intolerant? Isn’t intolerance for the religious?

I am being sincere. It makes it look like atheists can’t be loving & “healthy” ppl. It’s disturbing. “You’ve got to listen & acknowledge when we explain things” or “Got that through your head yet” sounds like an abusive husband yelling at his wife.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
You, Cb2008, AND Phetaroi do not represent me as an atheist…or my husband & family. IMO, there are more atheists with normal lives like us & way less anger than ppl who think like you. But you are part of the “chosen few” in the thread, I know. Seriously tho, why are you so intolerant? Isn’t intolerance for the religious?

I am being sincere. It makes it look like atheists can’t be loving & “healthy” ppl. It’s disturbing. “You’ve got to listen & acknowledge when we explain things” sounds like an abusive husband yelling at his wife.
Chosen few? For what???? Wow i am in the wrongest of wrong company. how did that happen?

Old 04-07-2023, 11:15 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:

I am being sincere. It makes it look like atheists can’t be loving & “healthy” ppl. It’s disturbing. “You’ve got to listen & acknowledge when we explain things” or “Got that through your head yet” sounds like an abusive husband yelling at his wife.
Before you wrote...

"ITA. It’s like it’s not enough to be an atheist & want to share in a forum FOR ATHEISTS. You have to be accepted into the cult & think like the chosen few…OR you’re ridiculed, scorned, imitated & harassed. It’s like they want to emotionally beat us into submission. I’ve been reading some of the other threads too. Weirdest thing ever."

I am not sure what forms of atheism you are referring to here or the source of your heartburn, but as one atheist to another, I don't think it makes much sense to take this forum as seriously as you seem to do. There are some common basic lines of agreement that most atheists share, but of course there are always the slight differences of perspective that forever bubble up in this forum.

What has me scratching my head a bit about your comments is this about having to be "accepted into the cult & think like the chosen few...OR you're ridiculed, scorned, imitated & harassed."

I've never felt anything of the sort, and I've been wasting lots of time in this forum for a long time now. It's likely I haven't been following along in this thread close enough to know what you are referring to, or who you're complaining about, so I don't know what the actual source of the ridicule has been. To be imitated is considered a compliment by some I might add...

Old 04-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:

i feel tainted by wrong association.
The abusive husband bit? Spot on, couldn’t have said it better.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:13 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

I agree with the bold but I believe you have misidentified CB2008. Militant atheists and anti-theists seem to be working through some prior issues originating with religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Chosen few? For what???? Wow i am in the wrongest of wrong company. how did that happen?
It is not unusual for someone trying to stop a fight or mediate a disagreement to get hit in the process, CB.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:18 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:

What in the hell are you talking about? I don't represent... someone I don't even know? Okay? When did I say I represented anyone else, let alone you? I'm honestly glad I don't represent you. Very glad. JFC...

Of course atheists are healthy people, including me- thanks, and I really don't appreciate your personal insults, when you don't even know me at all, and your off topic posting which is not appropriate for my thread. I'd say what I REALLY want to say to you, but it would be against the TOS.

I'm plenty tolerant of plenty of things, including having to do with religion and faith. I'm intolerant of intolerance and actual harm. Yes, I'm not very tolerant of the Jihadism which enabled 9/11. Because I'm a decent person. Try it sometime, you might like it.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:21 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, the bolded...is pretty much impossible when one is trying to have a discussion with a person who virtually always 'sticks up' for religion. Those are the people who are infatuated with religion. Who can't see any weaknesses, any faults...and therefore see no need for holding the religion responsible. It's whitewashing of those who should be held to the highest responsibility, who should be setting the example.
Thank you. I'm not a regular around here, so you all know more than me, but it's pretty obvious and easy to spot when someone is coming to the atheism forum to just be hostile and argumentative, instead of engage in well-intentioned debate about ideas and concepts and the thread topic. It's quite telling.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree with the bold but I believe you have misidentified CB2008. Militant atheists and anti-theists seem to be working through some prior issues originating with religion.

It is not unusual for someone trying to stop a fight or mediate a disagreement to get hit in the process, CB.
I was not even trying to stop the fight, not that i could even if i wanted to. It was a bit of fun actually.
I also wonder what happened to the C.Cowboy. Does he know his wife and baby-to-be are defending him mightily!
Congratulations to both by the way, good luck and God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism