Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 09:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
And what if there is?
And what if there are invisible kittens living under your bed working on the problem of cold fusion?

Or what if stuffed animals come to life at night and chase each other around in a big furry orgy?

What if ... ?

What if ... ?

Evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
So you want me to answer, what if God does exist? If that is the case, then look around.
Which god?

I noticed you capitalized the "G" in god - so you must be thinking of a specific one. Which one?

Old 03-23-2023, 09:51 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Which god?

I noticed you capitalized the "G" in god - so you must be thinking of a specific one. Which one?
As far as I know there is only one. People can believe otherwise, im not one to stop them.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
As far as I know there is only one. People can believe otherwise, im not one to stop them.
What if there is a God - but it's not the one you think exists?

Old 03-23-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
What if there is a God - but it's not the one you think exists?
That is why its called faith.

Old 03-23-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
That is why its called faith.
The belief in something for no good reason - yes, I'm quite familiar with what "faith" is.

But you haven't answered the question.

You can have all the faith you want - it doesn't guarantee you're right. In fact, I'm so convinced you're wrong that I'm willing to bet my eternal soul on it - should I actually have one.

What I find amusing is that you have at least as much chance of being wrong as I do. I would argue that your chance of being wrong is quite a bit higher.

So again, what if the god you think exists ... doesn't?

Old 03-24-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
The belief in something for no good reason - yes, I'm quite familiar with what "faith" is.

But you haven't answered the question.

You can have all the faith you want - it doesn't guarantee you're right. In fact, I'm so convinced you're wrong that I'm willing to bet my eternal soul on it - should I actually have one.

What I find amusing is that you have at least as much chance of being wrong as I do. I would argue that your chance of being wrong is quite a bit higher.

So again, what if the god you think exists ... doesn't?
Ill guess well find out. Let me ask you a question. Why are you so insistent on trying to make me think I am wrong? Does my belief bother you that much? Im not challenging your beliefs. Believe what you want. Neither of us can know for sure.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:02 PM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Asteroid discovery suggests ingredients for life on Earth came from space

"Two organic compounds essential for living organisms have been found in samples retrieved from the asteroid Ryugu, buttressing the notion that some ingredients crucial for the advent of life arrived on Earth aboard rocks from space billions of years ago.
Scientists said on Tuesday they detected uracil and niacin in rocks obtained by the Japanese Space Agency's Hayabusa2 spacecraft from two sites on Ryugu in 2019. Uracil is one of the chemical building blocks for RNA, a molecule carrying directions for building and operating living organisms. Niacin, also called Vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid, is vital for their metabolism."

https://www.aol.com/news/asteroid-di...201205918.html

God is non-existent. There's no evidence at all to suggest a god had anything to do with life on earth. It came from space. There's the evidence.
You sure have a penchant for pushing atheism my friend...

I'm an atheist and I enjoy some of the discussions that come from the differences between religious thinking and atheism, but I'm not sure I've even known anyone to promote atheism like you do.

As for this discovery, the theory that life came to earth from outer space is not a new one by any means. Just like all the other elements that coagulated and eventually formed into what is the earth today. I mean, especially for an atheist, from where else could life have come? The next best competing theory is that some sort of miraculous combination of atoms came together in some sort of combustion of life after the earth's environment had settled into a life-supporting state.

Can't wait to find out how life began, anywhere, but unfortunately it doesn't seem the answer will be revealed before I'm around to find out. Shucks, but at least I've enjoyed a great book about this if anyone else is interested. It's called, "A Brief History of Creation: Science and the Search for the Origin of Life," by Bill Mesler and James Cleaves II.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:09 PM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think the only possible 'God', is one that created the universe, and then peaced out.

No other claims about God really make any sense. We've already identified that all species alive today (whether today or in Biblical times) were not created, but evolved from earlier forms of life. The original life was probably just a self-replicating simple cell. Life probably existed even before DNA, which is actually pretty advanced and evolved.

The Bible says that God created Man, and therefore the Bible is factually wrong. People in the Iron Ages just didn't know what we were, and the stories and myths gave them comfort and social organization. Religion served a purpose at one point. That need has diminished as science as advanced.
Trying to make sense of God claims is like trying to make sense of life itself in all it's many forms. Not easy, but at least trying to make sense of life itself has far more in the way of what to consider than religion has to offer. More productive an effort in my opinion too. While at the same time I always keep in mind these words from Neil deGrasse Typson.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-25-2023 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2023, 04:40 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Ill guess well find out. Let me ask you a question. Why are you so insistent on trying to make me think I am wrong? Does my belief bother you that much? Im not challenging your beliefs. Believe what you want. Neither of us can know for sure.
The vast majority of unbelievers, including myself, really don't care what others believe (though we often care about the many subtle and overt ways in which some believers try to impose belief on others, and manipulate and gaslight around it). But people come here to discuss and debate, for various reasons: we enjoy the repartee, it helps to sharpen our thinking, we have a religious past that informs our interest in the topic, etc. So the question could just as well be asked of you: why does our unbelief bother you that much? Believe what you want.

Or maybe you're just here to have an exchange of ideas and better understand why (for example) people don't believe in the same things you do. I certainly wouldn't assume more than that. So why would you?

Based on my fundagelical past, I'll tell you why I think we get this kind of annoyed query from believers as much as we do: it's because we have some pretty good points, and it requires effort to deal with the cognitive dissonance and internal resistance to not believing and the fear of consequences thereof. I have no idea if it's true of you personally because I don't know you -- nor if it's true of any specific person here. But I would be unsurprised to find it's in the mix often. If a logical argument with actual evidence is presented, and all you have to respond with is illogic and unsupportable assertions, that is enough to chafe anyone's hide. It's understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism