Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2023, 08:42 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't understand the context of what you posted there at all.

What I'm saying is, if you visited the Christian forum you would find PLENTY of them believe in hell.
Being 'saved' means exactly that.
I am sorry i cant help you then. You do know how to follow a link and a thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 06:01 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am sorry i cant help you then. You do know how to follow a link and a thread?
Oh look, it's cb2008 once again ducking, dodging, and deflecting with a snide-ass comment.

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me where I've been wrong in regards to WWII history.

After all, you don't have much faith in what I say - but you'll have faith in ancient myths. Heh.

Or was it the fact that Texas is trying to pass a bill requiring public schools to display the 10 commandments. Was THAT what you didn't believe?

Well, in case you missed it the first time thanks to a sudden surge in fascism, here you go:

AUSTIN, Texas (NewsNation) — A Texas Senate bill that would require displaying the Ten Commandments in public schools is renewing the debate on the separation of church and state.

Supporters of the bill say the Ten Commandments are part of the United States’ history, while opponents say it would violate religious freedoms.

The bill would require the Ten Commandments to be displayed in each classroom on a poster or frame that is at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall. These posters could be displayed in classrooms across Texas as soon as this fall if the bill is passed.

Currently, the bill is pending in the state Senate Committee on Education, which just heard public testimony on the proposal Thursday. Seven members voiced their support for the bill, but one member expressed concern.

Texas bill could require 10 commandments in classrooms

My favorite is how they even require the commandments to be a certain dimension. It reminds me A LOT of how a law in North Korea requires every home to display a picture of Kim Jung-un which has to be a certain size and distance above the floor. But then again - that's where we're heading, isn't it.

As for Israel being secular - yeah - non-religious but cultural Jews are the largest demographic group in the country. Look it up.

Next time you want to shoot your mouth off about how I "don't know what I'm talking about," you had best think long and hard about how badly you want to be embarrassed. I do not type a single letter on this forum unless I know I can back it up.

I would await your apology - but I know you'll just weasle out of it as per usual, so I won't.

Quote:
No Christian has commented on my thread quite like the above, no Christian has ever told me I will burn in hell ever.
Wow, hold the train! Stop the presses! Okay, atheists, we should all apologize and admit that we've been lying all along about Christians and their hell-threats.

Why? Because cb2008, here, has NEVER been told he/she (who knows) will burn in hell. I guess that means no Christian anywhere ever used the hell-threat against even an atheist. I guess all of those times I've been told about burning in hell was an optical illusion. Of course they rarely come out and say "You're going to burn in hell!"

Of course not. They approach it from this oblique angle so it doesn't sound so -- hostile. They'll say things like, "Well, if you die an unbeliever well ... you'll end up going to that other place." Or they play this cutesy little deflection game like, "You know exactly what will happen if you don't believe." Or they'll pull out the Bible quotes like:

"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” Revelations 21:8

Or

"and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:50

Yeah, the "gnashing of teeth" one is a hell-threat favorite. They like to quote the Bible regarding hell. That way it makes it look like it's the Bible and not the actual Christian who is making the threat.

Never mind, however, that tossing non-believers into Hell is one of the single most immoral acts ever discussed anywhere in the Bible. Any Christian who believes in this tripe is admitting that millions of good, moral, charitable, altruistic, conscientious, caring people actually DESERVE to burn forever simply because they didn't conform to their religion and worship their god.

But forget all of that because cb2008 has never been threatened with hell, remember. Which means it has never happened - ever - to anyone. We're just making it all up. Not that it matters. If you're not a Christian, cb2008, then Christians still think you deserve to burn. Keep in mind what I just said - that you DESERVE to burn. Because Christian dogma says that even the tiniest sin is worth burning in a lake of fire forever. Even if you just told a little white lie to, perhaps, spare someone's feelings. Or maybe you lied to a bad person to protect a good person - yep, for that you deserve to burn. Not just that you WILL burn, but you deserve to. But hey, who cares, that's still better than being an atheist, right? You'll still defend even the most fundamental fire-and-brimstone preacher because at least they believe. You'll defend those nasty televangelists stealing money from little old ladies on a fixed income because at least they believe. Religion must be defended from we evil atheists at all costs! Which just goes to show you why I consider the religious position the truly immoral one.

Quote:
The only ones who love to remind me of this special deal are atheists, always. I don't know what to make of it other than fear of hell-threat hangover from when they were Christians.
I don't have any issues with people who use anecdotes to add a little color while making a point. As long as they don't try to use a single anecdote as a way of painting a situation with an earth-sized brush. Kind of like what you're doing. Of course it's only the atheists who talk about hell-threats, right? Because it's never happened to you, it must have never happened to anyone in the history of humanity. Can we possibly get any more disingenuous here? Wait ... forget I asked. I'm sure you'll find a way.

Quote:
You tell me. Here is a typical interaction with an atheist on the thread "Define God"
Whenever I see someone use the word "typical" before a noun representing an entire group of people, I know I'm going to find a steaming pile of crap at the end of that sentence.

Last edited by Shirina; 04-10-2023 at 06:11 AM..

Old 04-10-2023, 08:24 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
You tell me. Here is a typical interaction with an atheist on the thread "Define God"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65117818-post189.html
Which one seems fundamentalist to you?
Because you can not give a valid, honest reason for your assertion, you imply I am a fundamentalist for asking a simple question?

Quote:
Why would what I hold as truth for myself and share in such a thread matter to an atheist?
Why would you post your personal belief, and then throw a tantrum when someone asks a simple question?

Quote:
No Christian has commented on my thread quite like the above, no Christian has ever told me I will burn in hell ever. So I don't need to take it up with Christians, no. And I don't visit the Christian forum or post there.

The only ones who love to remind me of this special deal are atheists, always. I don't know what to make of it other than fear of hell-threat hangover from when they were Christians. That must be a terrible burden to carry around, and must surely color one's view of the world and people.
Or you have been lucky and no Christian has threatened you personally with hell (only others <<< BIG clue for you). This moving the goal posts from what Christians actually argue to some straw man atheist hangover must be deliberate.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm a bit unclear what you mean?
That atheists are holding on to some deeply fundamentalistic religious position, or that theists are?
It is a dishonest game to pretend that when atheists point out the fact that religious people have different beliefs, then we atheist must somehow be irrational, emotional people with religious baggage. Because CB is afraid that if other religions are false, then so can hers.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
There is no need to read minds. It is not difficult to know the different beliefs atheist have because they express it clearly right here.
So which atheist clearly expressed they are Christians who hate a god that is NOT your god, and deny this god exists?

And watch the CB dance of evasion, in 3, 2, 1 ...

Quote:
Religion and its practice change with time and bends towards spirituality. The principles and teaching of Eastern religions are adopted and adapted by Christians and others who find inspiration and recognition in them. This is nothing new, it has always been thus, And the transformation is individual and takes different forms, at different rates, it is an evolution.
Yes, we heard your evasion the first time. And STILL different religions have different beliefs.

Quote:
Your fear about this kind transformation is that atheism will become irrelevant if believers do not stay in their lanes, hold on tightly to their texts so you can explain to them what their texts mean. All these changes, these shifting and adapting, are confusing you. And thus this fear and anger.
Again you are attacking an irrelevant straw man Harry instead of addressing the fact that different religious people have different beliefs. Your constant evasion is most amusing.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:50 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

Or you have been lucky and no Christian has threatened you personally with hell (only others <<< BIG clue for you). This moving the goal posts from what Christians actually argue to some straw man atheist hangover must be deliberate.
The key phrase here is "you personally".

I have had christian evangelizers tell me, literally, 'If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you will go to hell'.

I suggest the other poster do a simple Google search of the following: "do churches believe that if you don't accept jesus christ as your personal savior you will go to hell". While not every person or christian sect believes the above, the results of such a search will clearly point out that it's not an isolated belief. One belief is that it isn't god that sends you to hell, it's that if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior you are a follower of Satan, and it is Satan that leads you to hell.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It is pretty routine for posters on either side to accuse the other of being afraid or having a deep-seated need for others to join in their belief systems. It is all demonstrably childish and anti-social.
That is why one needs to look at the evidence.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:17 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
The purpose of life is up to each of us to decide for ourselves. In my case it was to teach my children to be good caring people.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:04 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The key phrase here is "you personally".

I have had christian evangelizers tell me, literally, 'If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you will go to hell'.

I suggest the other poster do a simple Google search of the following: "do churches believe that if you don't accept jesus christ as your personal savior you will go to hell". While not every person or christian sect believes the above, the results of such a search will clearly point out that it's not an isolated belief. One belief is that it isn't god that sends you to hell, it's that if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior you are a follower of Satan, and it is Satan that leads you to hell.
I'm sure you - as well as everyone else here - is familiar with that old phrase, "If only I had a nickel for every time ..."

Well ...if only I had a nickel every time some believer threatened me with hell.

Atheists remain the most disliked religious minority

40% of Americans disapprove of non-religion

27% of Americans say that atheists “don't share my morals or values.”\

Ironically, atheists really aren't a minority given that there are more atheists than there are people in any given religious demographic group. For instance, there are more atheists than there are Catholics. More atheists than there are Protestants. Etc. etc.

I wonder how atheists became so disliked? Probably because a) we have steadfastly fought against the encroachment of religion into our government and into our private secular lives. No good deed goes unpunished. And then there is b) the vile poison, lies, slander, and intolerance often displayed by religious groups. Note: I said "groups." Because it isn't unusual for an ordinarily nice person to start acting like a feral dog once they get in with a group - and then the lynch mobs and witch hunts start.

It's that 27% that I find amusing. Yes, we atheists don't share their values or morals. Not that any of those idiots KNOW what our morals and values actually are, mind you. And this is a FACT. Because if they had any idea what our morals and values are, they would find that they are virtually identical. The ONLY difference is - we don't believe in Yahweh. This has NOTHING to do with our morality or value system.

Well - let me clarify. That isn't the only difference. Truth be told is that the morality and values of an atheist are far and away superior to that of those 27% - and they are absolutely right. We DON'T share their warped moral compass.

Because, you see, we don't believe that anyone deserves to be tortured for all eternity in a lake of fire.

That puts we atheists on a pedestal that rises far above the morality of fire-and-brimstone Christians. Anyone who believes that I, personally, do not share their morals and values, they will be 100% correct. I don't share them - nor would I want to. No one deserves eternal torment simply for not being a Christian. How repugnant - and it SHOULD be repugnant to any rational, free-thinking, empathic, and compassionate person.

Yet I am constantly surprised - and not in a good way - just how many Christians have thrown the hell-threat at me. And I'm not talking about just here on the forum - nor am I talking about someone using it during a heated debate. What's more is the number of Christians who actually boast about it. They come at me with a sickening exuberance as if they're happy about it. I suppose it's stems from that smug sense of pride some people get when they have something "cool" that their friends and neighbors do not. "Nyah, nyah, I'm going to heaven and you're going to hell. Ha - ha!" Like it's a way for them to feel better about themselves - which has nothing to do with being a Christian and everything to do with having a fragile ego. However, getting all excited because someone is going to be tortured forever makes me question a person's morality - if you know what I mean.

For instance, I remember some years back when I was first getting into playing Dungeons & Dragons with some friends from school. I was standing in line at a book store with several of the rule books cradled in my arms. Next thing I know, this shrew standing behind me decided she was going to lecture me about how Satanic that game was - and how I was going to burn for playing it. As if I ever asked for her opinion in the first place. Or ... back in high school, during our Homecoming dance, a group of roughly a dozen of us were sitting out in the hallway dealing with the usual teen romance drama - when the janitor shuffled down the hall, telling us that we were all going straight to hell. He never said what for - dancing, maybe? Listening to music that wasn't about god? Wearing clothes that didn't cover us up from our chins down to our ankles? But you get the idea.

Unfortunately, there are those Christians who would rather identify with Muslim terrorists than atheists because "at least the Muslims believe in a god!" As if that makes all the difference - that believing in a god, no matter if it drives one to violence and barbarity - is better than peaceful atheists who are just trying to live their lives as best they can - just like Christians.

Last edited by Shirina; 04-11-2023 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: I guess because all my posts are going to hell for being longer than 240 characters.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:13 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm sure you - as well as everyone else here - is familiar with that old phrase, "If only I had a nickel for every time ..."

Well ...if only I had a nickel every time some believer threatened me with hell.

Atheists remain the most disliked religious minority

40% of Americans disapprove of non-religion

27% of Americans say that atheists “don't share my morals or values.”\

Ironically, atheists really aren't a minority given that there are more atheists than there are people in any given religious demographic group. For instance, there are more atheists than there are Catholics. More atheists than there are Protestants. Etc. etc.

I wonder how atheists became so disliked? Probably because a) we have steadfastly fought against the encroachment of religion into our government and into our private secular lives. No good deed goes unpunished. And then there is b) the vile poison, lies, slander, and intolerance often displayed by religious groups. Note: I said "groups." Because it isn't unusual for an ordinarily nice person to start acting like a feral dog once they get in with a group - and then the lynch mobs and witch hunts start.

It's that 27% that I find amusing. Yes, we atheists don't share their values or morals. Not that any of those idiots KNOW what our morals and values actually are, mind you. And this is a FACT. Because if they had any idea what our morals and values are, they would find that they are virtually identical. The ONLY difference is - we don't believe in Yahweh. This has NOTHING to do with our morality or value system.

Well - let me clarify. That isn't the only difference. Truth be told is that the morality and values of an atheist are far and away superior to that of those 27% - and they are absolutely right. We DON'T share their warped moral compass.

Because, you see, we don't believe that anyone deserves to be tortured for all eternity in a lake of fire.

That puts we atheists on a pedestal that rises far above the morality of fire-and-brimstone Christians. Anyone who believes that I, personally, do not share their morals and values, they will be 100% correct. I don't share them - nor would I want to. No one deserves eternal torment simply for not being a Christian. How repugnant - and it SHOULD be repugnant to any rational, free-thinking, empathic, and compassionate person.

Yet I am constantly surprised - and not in a good way - just how many Christians have thrown the hell-threat at me. And I'm not talking about just here on the forum - nor am I talking about someone using it during a heated debate. What's more is the number of Christians who actually boast about it. They come at me with a sickening exuberance as if they're happy about it. I suppose it's stems from that smug sense of pride some people get when they have something "cool" that their friends and neighbors do not. "Nyah, nyah, I'm going to heaven and you're going to hell. Ha - ha!" Like it's a way for them to feel better about themselves - which has nothing to do with being a Christian and everything to do with having a fragile ego. However, getting all excited because someone is going to be tortured forever makes me question a person's morality - if you know what I mean.

For instance, I remember some years back when I was first getting into playing Dungeons & Dragons with some friends from school. I was standing in line at a book store with several of the rule books cradled in my arms. Next thing I know, this shrew standing behind me decided she was going to lecture me about how Satanic that game was - and how I was going to burn for playing it. As if I ever asked for her opinion in the first place. Or ... back in high school, during our Homecoming dance, a group of roughly a dozen of us were sitting out in the hallway dealing with the usual teen romance drama - when the janitor shuffled down the hall, telling us that we were all going straight to hell. He never said what for - dancing, maybe? Listening to music that wasn't about god? Wearing clothes that didn't cover us up from our chins down to our ankles? But you get the idea.

Unfortunately, there are those Christians who would rather identify with Muslim terrorists than atheists because "at least the Muslims believe in a god!" As if that makes all the difference - that believing in a god, no matter if it drives one to violence and barbarity - is better than peaceful atheists who are just trying to live their lives as best they can - just like Christians.
As is often the case...you are right on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism