Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2023, 06:44 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
When someone breezes in, drops a turd like this one, and then leaves without any further commentary.
I knew a guy who in a business context called this "the seagull theory of management -- fly in, crap all over everything, and then leave."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 06:48 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Jesus H. Christ.

Really? People still make this stupid argument? That atheists who are pro-active against religion and its encroachment into politics - oh yeah, we're secret Christians who believe in God. I thought even the biggest Christian apologists abandoned this toilet full of crap years ago.

This is what is called "shyting on the carpet." When someone breezes in, drops a turd like this one, and then leaves without any further commentary.

"Oh, I just dropped by to see how this thread was doing ... but I'll post a debunked argument first."

Why the hell am I still here? Even the A&A forum is filled with theists - as if this thread is now the R&S thread - and the theists have ALL the rest of the forums, from the main forum and all the subforums. You might as well have this one too. Screw it.
Calm down. I said there are different types of atheists. Don't get mad at me because I am sharing my observations.... Am I not allowed to take a break from reading forum posts and then come back and say hi?

Old 04-08-2023, 07:01 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
A lot of atheists tend to stereotype Christians.
*blink*

Wow. Are you really this clueless? Or don't you even care how hypocritical you're being?

I mean - you're stereotyping atheists throughout your entire post ...

And you have the friggin gall to say THIS?

Old 04-08-2023, 07:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Calm down. I said there are different types of atheists. Don't get mad at me because I am sharing my observations.... Am I not allowed to take a break from reading forum posts and then come back and say hi?
But you're actually not dropping in to just say a friendly 'hi', are you?

Old 04-08-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Did I say you weren't allowed? No, that's the theists' job - to tell we atheists we're not allowed to post here or there or somewhere else.

By the way, you can share all the observations you want. Just be prepared to have people like me call you out when your observations are nonsense.

Obviously several people already have regarding atheists calling ALL Christians stupid - or ANY Christians stupid. Why is it that so many Christians are incapable of separating the religion from the person? Thus if an atheist calls Christianity stupid - somehow that translates in Christianese to: "All Christians - the people themselves - are stupid." And I don't think anyone here has even called Christianity stupid. Are there some ridiculous parts of the lore that are ridiculous? You bet your ass there is - and for an atheist to respond to it does not equate to "All Christians are stupid."

So yeah, I'm pretty well sick of people misrepresenting atheists here.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I knew a guy who in a business context called this "the seagull theory of management -- fly in, crap all over everything, and then leave."
A-haha, I'll have to remember that one.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
*blink*

Wow. Are you really this clueless? Or don't you even care how hypocritical you're being?

I mean - you're stereotyping atheists throughout your entire post ...

And you have the friggin gall to say THIS?
Yes...yes, I friggin do....thank you VERY much so apparently an observation is a stereotype....ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But you're actually not dropping in to just say a friendly 'hi', are you?
sorry.....I wanted to say hi but a few posts caught my attention and I had to respond back. but putting all of that aside.....hello to you!

oh jeez.....this thread went way off topic. though in all honesty, there was some good posts. I'll have to spend time reading the whole thread.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think the reason life appeared was that the conditions were right. Our evolution happened the way it did because that's how it happened. I wouldn't call that random. Very lucky sounds more like it.
going back to the actual topic...

"because that's how it happened" again.....this is another way of saying things happened because "just happened". science has a way of making things happen but there are things in the universe that science, in my opinion, cannot explain or it tries to explain but struggles to prove. I agree....the conditions were right but I believe living organisms evolved the way that it did due to adaptation, but I really do believe that we didn't just "pop" into existence for no reason. there is some kind of "order" in the universe but I can't quite pinpoint it...

Old 04-08-2023, 07:40 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
going back to the actual topic...

"because that's how it happened" again.....this is another way of saying things happened because "just happened". science has a way of making things happen but there are things in the universe that science, in my opinion, cannot explain or it tries to explain but struggles to prove. I agree....the conditions were right but I believe living organisms evolved the way that it did due to adaptation, but I really do believe that we didn't just "pop" into existence for no reason. there is some kind of "order" in the universe but I can't quite pinpoint it...
I never said anything about "popping into existence". I recognize this as a diversion tactic for someone who has even more consulted logic than what they are straw-manning.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A good summation.
I would add another variety to your lists. The atheist who is afraid of unity in spirituality, of those who see one Divinity, who see truth in the teachings of religion other than their own. This scares them. They will without fail point out my god is not their god and they believe you will go to hell because you pray to a different god.
Of all things about believers this scares them the most, this unity of vision about goodness, truth, divinity.
Why is it that theists always have to invent what atheists think or what we value or what we are afraid of.

Knock it the hell off.

What was that verse in the Bible about how you should worry about the plank in your own eye before worrying about the mote in the eye of your brother?

Mmhmm.

I do find it rather amusing though: MOST atheists found their way to unbelief because the tenents, dogma, stories, lore, laws, rules, and the things you are expected to believe are so monstrously ridiculous that they eventually and inevitably fall out of belief. Usually because they actually used a bit of critical thinking on their own religion - something you're not supposed to do.

(Incidentally, the religious-right in Texas (again) had an education platform some years ago that actually said, straight up, that they were against the teaching of higher order thinking skills - like critical thinking - because it might interfere with parental authority and - get this - "traditionally held belief systems."

In other words, the religious-right desire to keep our children stupid and unable to think so that their heads can be filled with fundamentalist religion - essentially creating the first generation of the Christian Taliban. You know, people who only care about religion and religious matters but are incapable of dealing with other issues - a big reason why the lion's share of the Islamic world has fallen into a sea of darkness. Only those nations who have embraced Western values have managed to progress and succeed.

The religious-right wishes to drag America back to the same era as the Islamic world ala Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other nations. I wouldn't be surprised if some states commissioned morality police who walk around harassing people in violation of some stupid religious law - like forbidding women from wearing pants or something else ridiculous.

The religious right has celebrated the overturn of Roe v. Wade, but their obsession with controlling women’s bodies knows no satisfaction.

Now a far-right preacher known for his vile rants about the LGBTQ community is calling for men to burn their wives’ pants because, he says, it’s just a form of crossdressing.

Brother Duncan Urbanek spread the love of God by using anti-gay slurs and encouraging men to destroy their spouses’ possessions. Urbanek is a member of the Stedfast Baptist Church, one of the most vicious anti-LGBTQ hate groups in the nation. Church leaders have called for the execution of gay men and publicly celebrated tragedies that killed members of the LGBTQ community.

Now Christians are targeting women who wear pants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism