Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2023, 04:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I don't want any insults. No "life is BETTER without God. Christians are stupid!" remarks.

Very simple question: from your point of view, what do you think is the purpose of life? what is the purpose of our existence? what is the purpose of our universe?

obviously life can exist without the need for God (in your point of view) so I am curious how you view it.
There is no purpose. All of the above just is. That's all there is to it. The human mind seeks to assign purpose to things which may not have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 02:37 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
A person's purpose in life is whatever they want it to be. It may be raising a family in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house in the suburbs. Travel the world. Be an executive in a Fortune 500 company. Play video games in their parents basement. Just existing and drifting aimlessly. It really depends on the person and there is no right or wrong. There is no purpose for the universe. Why does there have to be one? It's just there, existing. To feel the need for everything to have a purpose doesn't make any sense to me except that it's some kind of reaction to make us feel better about life.

Old 04-14-2023, 12:25 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Play video games in their parents basement.
Oh God, that is the worst.

But alright, I guess there has to be a purpose for everything.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:26 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Oh God, that is the worst.

But alright, I guess there has to be a purpose for everything.
I'm pretty sure one of my coworkers is like that. Around 30, not married, lives with parents, big video game player. Though I doubt his house has a basement as basements aren't common where I live.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:42 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
There IS no purpose other than to obey instinct--procreate and then die. Watch this video and then picture 8 billion people as the ants. No omniscient God could be stupid enough to design such a lamebrained order where humans are given the capacity to drive themselves into extinction. They're doing it with the nuclear bomb and now they're doing it with global warming. Only a world on its own without a God could possess this capacity to annihilate itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbIqJxnXIB4&t=109s

Old 04-15-2023, 11:12 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Only a world on its own without a God could possess this capacity to annihilate itself.
Depending on the specific hypothetical god, I think that a deity is no guarantee we would not annihilate ourselves -- and in fact might help it along, or do it himself. Even Jehovah supposedly wiped out almost all of humanity at one point; humanity didn't help him at all.

A sufficiently benevolent god that really cared about humanity and saw a big part of its role as guiding us through the Great Filter or other threats to our survival (and/or helping us to grow in character and tolerance and love and so on), and then actually did so, would be one thing. But I'm not aware of any alleged deity that is like that. Most deities simply manufacture additional arbitrary requirements for his assistance that basically no one lives up to and certainly we don't live up to as a species, rendering the god irrelevant to human survival in the large.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:45 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I don't want any insults. No "life is BETTER without God. Christians are stupid!" remarks.

Very simple question: from your point of view, what do you think is the purpose of life? what is the purpose of our existence? what is the purpose of our universe?

obviously life can exist without the need for God (in your point of view) so I am curious how you view it.
It's like everything else that doesn't have a purpose or a beginning. which in religionist's POV everything must or it just can't be, it can't possibly exist without a creator. You look at it from your perspective and ignore the facts.

We evolved and our bodies deteriorate, it's inevitable. No getting away from it unless you're Enoch from the bible who went straight on up to heaven. The bible also says that ALL are appointed to die....so there's that little contradiction.

I've said this before but the only logical and rational stance to take is agnosticism. It's the ONLY position that there is if you live in reality. I am an agnostic atheist. I haven't always been, I evolved.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:38 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It's the ONLY position that there is if you live in reality. I am an agnostic atheist.
It's the only position you can take where you can't be wrong.

I even include the fact that BibleGod could actually be the real deal. And since Jesus rose from the dead and that is proof he is God... I raise the odds on BibleGod being real above those of the FSM being real. At least until the uprising of short order cooks turned pirates occurs. At which time the odds of the FSM being real will draw even with BibleGod.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:59 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's the only position you can take where you can't be wrong.

I even include the fact that BibleGod could actually be the real deal. And since Jesus rose from the dead and that is proof he is God... I raise the odds on BibleGod being real above those of the FSM being real. At least until the uprising of short order cooks turned pirates occurs. At which time the odds of the FSM being real will draw even with BibleGod.
LOL ok, that was funny. I'm actually betting on the FSM. Short order cooks turned pirates?

Old 04-19-2023, 02:07 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
LOL ok, that was funny. I'm actually betting on the FSM. Short order cooks turned pirates?
It is prophesied in the gospel of the FSM that short order cooks will rebel. However, because they are not fierce, they will turn into pirates so they will be better fighters and rebels.....and this short order cook/pirate rebellion is a sign of the imminent return of the FSM.

So Pastafarians are kind of waiting for this prophecy to be fulfilled while Christians are waiting for that red cow to be born and the temple being rebuilt and stuff. However, Christians claim we have already had some prophecies come to pass... Israel becoming a nation. Wars, earthquakes, famines and all. So right now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism