Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I don't know. Sometimes words on this forum can get twisted into hate and anger and when I reread my post I thought, I hope no one thinks that I meant that only atheists shpew (what is that word?) hate and anger out in their words.
Actually I saw no hate or anger in you post...Only kindness. I see very little hate from atheists here, but a lot of frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
If someone asks me to pray for them, I will..If someone asks for happy or healing thoughts, I think about them in a positive way..If someone asks me to send vibes, I am not sure what they want, so I send a encouraging dm..In my mind it is all a form of prayer and I don't mind doing what someone in distress asks..I think everyone needs comfort and encouraging words from their friends at times..I don't think because an unbeliever is in any sort of emotional or physical pain that anyone should take advantage of that and begin to preach to them..Like my friend Weather ( who often takes a beating on these forums just because she is a Catholic) I pray for all my friends here, no matter what they believe or don't..

Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
you post...Only kindness.
This is all that is intended...

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I wish someone would/could explain to me the Catholic prayers said to 'pray someone out of purgatory?'
RDSLOTS,

I am a Catholic convert. Actually, I was not taught about purgatory in my convertion process. I don't know if the Church really pushes the issue of purgatory anymore. Maybe they are trying to step away from their stance on that. I have heard that they are. I will look into it for you. If I find any answers, I will DM you. Goodness knows that I don't want to start a "hate the Catholic girl" thread again.

weather...

Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
It doesn't bother me per se if someone is praying for me. What does annoy me is every once in awhile someone will make what I consider a nasty comment when they push me against the wall and I have to declare that I am an atheist and they come back with that they are going to pray for me. I think thats RUDE.

I don't go around pushing on people that I am atheist. I don't want to offend or start a big conversation about it. BUT there have been occasions when someone pushes me until I will say something.

BUT if someone is doing it out of the goodness of their heart and it makes them feel better, then why should it bother me?

At times when others say they are praying for someone, I say that my heart goes out to that person because I hurt my heart for people when they loose a loved one for example. I don't pray for people but I do dwell on them, I think about them often and try to extend whatever helping hand I can.

Recently a friend that I went to grade school with, her Mother died of Cancer. She was a woman we all knew well. I didn't pray for her but I thought of her often. I dug out old photographs of our childhood and scanned them to send to our school mates. I told my friend that I would adopt two of her Mothers beloved rescue kitties. I knew they wanted to find a home for some of her 9 cats but wanted to be able to keep track of them as well. I thought taking in two of her beloved babies and loving them would be MUCH better then sending flowers.

Thats my way of praying I guess.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,726 times
As someone who does not believe in prayer - in the traditional sense (I believe it can be a form of self meditation as in sending positive thoughts attracts the positive, etc. but don't believe it helps to pray for someone else) it does not bother me if someone says they are "praying" for me. They usually say that out of concern.

However, it does bother me when someone thinks praying is the same as "doing something." I have a neighbor who's involved in a church and he and some of his middle-aged friends went on a motorcycle trip across the USA, praying for the USA across the way. That's all they did. They were asking for donations for this trip - to help the USA - the war, the upcoming election. It just bugged me because with all that gas $$ they would have done something CONSTRUCTIVE vs. making an excuse to go on a motorcyle trek across the USA and saying they are doing something constructive - praying! C'mon! Praying is not DOING SOMETHING!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
There are recent tests that have been done to test the effect of prayer on sick people. The results show that when the sick person is a believer and knows they are getting prayers, there appears to be some beneficial effect. When the sick person is unaware of the prayers, there is no effect at all - regardless of whether they are a believer or not. This seems to be a pretty clear conclusion that the prayer itself is ineffective and amounts to little more than wishing.

But wishing can be emotionally helpful in powerless situations and sharing that wish can help people deal with problems.

I agree with the other statements - a prayer for me with no ulterior motive but to wish me well over a problem is just fine and amounts to good thoughts, and I would thank you.

But used as a manipulative attempt at trying to get me feel guilt is just that - manipulation and unpleasant. Praying for my soul is an act of arrogance and an imposition. Praying/wishing for my recovery from an illness or problem is a gentle, sympathetic and kind thing, even it doesn't accomplish anything but make the praying person feel better.

Praying for my recovery instead of doing something constructive, when that is an option, is not a good thing, tho. Obviously none of the CD folks would be in a position to actually do anything but send cyber good wishes or prayers.

I see nothing offensive or harmful in the way weather has described praying.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
There are recent tests that have been done to test the effect of prayer on sick people. The results show that when the sick person is a believer and knows they are getting prayers, there appears to be some beneficial effect. When the sick person is unaware of the prayers, there is no effect at all - regardless of whether they are a believer or not. This seems to be a pretty clear conclusion that the prayer itself is ineffective and amounts to little more than wishing.

But wishing can be emotionally helpful in powerless situations and sharing that wish can help people deal with problems.

I agree with the other statements - a prayer for me with no ulterior motive but to wish me well over a problem is just fine and amounts to good thoughts, and I would thank you.

But used as a manipulative attempt at trying to get me feel guilt is just that - manipulation and unpleasant. Praying for my soul is an act of arrogance and an imposition. Praying/wishing for my recovery from an illness or problem is a gentle, sympathetic and kind thing, even it doesn't accomplish anything but make the praying person feel better.

My sentiments, too. I am most offended by some who want to 'pray me into becoming religious,' or opting to be 'born again,' or telling me they are saving my soul, or something. Still, while I am offended, I just try to remind myself they think they are doing something good -- at least I hope that is the intent. I also resent being quoted scripture, as I see that as largely taking something out of context.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
In the years of my religious upbringing I was always taught that prayer was a communication with God and that HIS will was to be prayed for and done
So when I hear people praying FOR anything, I am tempted to mention this ....but, I don't.....live and let live....whatever makes 'em feel good.

To me it's just another example of the myriad contradictions of religion.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Prayer is meditation and meditation is the release of energy...so perhaps if we send out enough energy (prayer) it will have an affect on the cosmos. Or perhaps not. But it is harmless. My poor sister has been praying for me to come back to God for 20 years now...she is tenacious, I'll say that for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism