Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM

310 posts, read 589,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-n-ky View Post
I think everybody needs a prayer every now and then. It sure does not hurt. Personally i prayer for all my friends on this site and others for blessing and safety.
Prayer is worthless. Over on the christian forum someone posted a thread exhorting everyone to "pray for the safety of the olympics". A few hours later, the young Georgian luger splattered his brains all over the track. Yeah, that prayer really works, don't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
It is clear that you did not read the links. They aren't about "ideas" or "theories". An MRI which maps the brain is valid medical proof.

I am open to reading any evidence to support your point of view, but you aren't going to find any.

It is okay to admit you are mistaken.
Please don't even attempt to tell me that an MRI displays prayer activity and whether its successful or not......or what the brain might be capable of but hasn't been discovered yet.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,219 times
Post Why Pray?

In Hebrews 4:3 the Lord talks about His works being finished from the foundation, meaning there is nothing in our power that we can do for God. Our name is either written in the Lamb's Book or not. There is nothing that we can do for our Lord and Savior. There is no way we can we born again to accept Christ as our Savior, no more than we can be born again fro our mother's womb. As much as pray goes, it helps me to talk to the Lord when I'm struggling with a difficult decision and especially to give me wisdom and understanding of His word, and that I may always give Him the honor and glory for all that he has done for me. I feel I could pray that the Lord give you the strength to work through a particular problem, your family, your health, etc.; but I don't think that I can ask that the Lord save you or even myself from hell, because this has been done since the foundation of the world, only that I recognize this, and give him the honor and glory for having done so. In Ephesians 2:8 states"for by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God. Not intending to change your belief , but this is my belief, which is evident of the scriptures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Pray for me if it makes you feel good. I do not believe I will derive any benefit from it, but as you say it cannot harm me. Please just do it privately and do not post that you are praying to save my soul from hell...I consider that nothing but a form of prosletizing.

Edit to address your edit... What exactly is the point of that statement?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
You do realize most in the A&A part of this fourm take scripture about as seriously as the Sunday comic section in a newspaper....right?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan1952moore View Post
but this is my belief, which is evident of the scriptures.
To have some merit a belief should be founded on facts.....there are no facts that support "scriptures" which in many cases science has proven to be impossible.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I think "prayer" might have some merit but not in the traditional sense of prayers being answered by God. At presence science feels we only use about 5% of our brain......we have no idea what the other 95% is capable of. I feel that there might be an area of the brain, if tapped into, might be able to produce some type of healing ability, even more so if concentrated by a group all focused on the same goal. It certainly makes more sense that miracle healing by an invisible person in the sky ?
The part of this post that I responded to was about the percentage of our brain we use. Science, with MRI's, has proved we use all of it. You are welcome to feel our brains can do more than they do. I am debating the factual part of your post, not the opinion part.

Quote:
The bottom line is one can't "show" prove with absolute confirmation either side of this issue. The 4 posts you provided are hardly proof and are mostly articles regarding "ideas" or theories and certainly don't provide any substantial vaild medical proof that can be substantiated as black and white by anyone you might consider the foremost authority whose offerings could be considered factual. In short, there is no proof exactly how much of the brain is used and in this day and age where we are still learning it would be foolish to assume we have progressed as far as we can on any level.
You did not read the links or would not have posted this. No one is assuming that we have progressed as far as we can, but we do know how much of our brain we use, and we have a general knowledge of what specific areas are for.

Quote:
While I'm sure there are different versions of belief on any issue in history and some may not be entirely accurate the fact is when is comes to what the human body is capable of we are still learning......to proclaim with absolute certainty that we have reached the pinnacle of knowledge on what our brain is capable of is just plain ignorant.
You keep saying this about our brain's capabilities. No one is debating that but you.

Quote:
To have some merit a belief should be founded on facts.....there are no facts that support "scriptures" which in many cases science has proven to be impossible.
You don't believe the scriptures because they have no scientific support.
I don't believe in your "brain power" because there is no scientific support.

Quote:
Please don't even attempt to tell me that an MRI displays prayer activity and whether its successful or not......or what the brain might be capable of but hasn't been discovered yet.
Whoever said that an MRI displays prayer activity? That is crazy talk. Studies have been done showing prayer is a waste of time.
Why are we even having this conversation?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
You did not read the links or would not have posted this. No one is assuming that we have progressed as far as we can, but we do know how much of our brain we use, and we have a general knowledge of what specific areas are for.
And no one is debating that we don't understand what portions of the brain control certain functions and that all the areas of the brain are used.......the question is .....is 100% of all the areas of the brain used or is there capacity to do more ? It would seem unlikely at best that our brain is currently functioning at 100% capacity with no possibily over future generations to evolve when if history has taught us anything its evolution is necessary to grow/adapt. A few posts back I asked what your credentials are that you can state with absolute certainty that 100% of the brain is used but all you do is keep referring to what you read someplace and that hardly makes it a fact or a proven commodity. Bottom line is that while all areas of the brain are used science or you personally have no idea exactly what percentage of the brain, or percentages of its separate areas, are used.....all you can offer with any certainty is that they are used.

Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-16-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan1952moore View Post
In Hebrews 4:3 the Lord talks about His works being finished from the foundation, meaning there is nothing in our power that we can do for God. Our name is either written in the Lamb's Book or not. There is nothing that we can do for our Lord and Savior. There is no way we can we born again to accept Christ as our Savior, no more than we can be born again fro our mother's womb. As much as pray goes, it helps me to talk to the Lord when I'm struggling with a difficult decision and especially to give me wisdom and understanding of His word, and that I may always give Him the honor and glory for all that he has done for me. I feel I could pray that the Lord give you the strength to work through a particular problem, your family, your health, etc.; but I don't think that I can ask that the Lord save you or even myself from hell, because this has been done since the foundation of the world, only that I recognize this, and give him the honor and glory for having done so. In Ephesians 2:8 states"for by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God. Not intending to change your belief , but this is my belief, which is evident of the scriptures.
You may as well fire quotes from the Wizard of Oz at me. Scriptures are just as meaningless to me as that story....I would prefer it if you used your own mind in your responses ....You know the one you think god gave you.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,615 times
Quote:
What were the results ?
Prayers went unanswered either way, although I did win a $100 scratch off game while praying to the cinder block so maybe I was on to something.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
prayer is a form of hoping and positive thinking so maybe it can give a good feeling to those who believe in it and make them try harder or see things in a different light. Or get that "yes I can " attitude going...but praying to an imaginary deity is still similar to conveying your toughts to a blade of grass or an object. Just like meditation...it works for those who believe in it...maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism