Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Prayers went unanswered either way, although I did win a $100 scratch off game while praying to the cinder block so maybe I was on to something.

Geeze......and thats with only one cinder block.......imagine what could be accomplished if you prayed to a whole pile of them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
prayer is a form of hoping and positive thinking so maybe it can give a good feeling to those who believe in it and make them try harder or see things in a different light. Or get that "yes I can " attitude going...but praying to an imaginary deity is still similar to conveying your thoughts to a blade of grass or an object. Just like meditation...it works for those who believe in it...maybe...
You're right about prayer's positive aspects, though it is but one of many potential routes to productive introspection. It has proven to not be too effective in generating any actual God-To-Man connections, but as a meditative device it can be of use, just as intense meditation works for many Indian religious cultures.

The intrinsic rules also prevent misdirections, and usually result in the user coming to some positive conclusions. Especially if they are convinced they are in th presence of some holy person who counsels them to "keep their kool". Just don't drink the purple juice afterwards....

Regards, and happy praying.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
why? is the purple juice from grape ape?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Prayer is right down there is unless activities along with "wishing upon a star" or any other mind games that divert a persons attention away from ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING to change whatever it is they want changes.

The saying that 2 hands working will always produce more results than a 1,000 clasped in prayer is the dead on the mark correct. People wish their life away, and that includes praying, a rather silly form of wishing. If prayer has any effect, it is ALWAYS NEGATIVE, as it diverted that persons attention away from actually doing SOMETHING to change the situation or outcome. Pity those that waste their time in this activity.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
I think praying is a good thing. It calms the mind and organize one's thoughts of chaos in this world.

Of course, I think praying should be only for oneself and not imposed on another's beliefs (unless request) as we each have our own intellectual processes

Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 AM

Of course it's an inactivity, AshevilleNative, it's always better to actually try to do something about a situation or help by doing something.
I think we all hope for things and dream of things being better. It's the way poetry and song gets created....and it's part of being human. That's probably why prayer caught on like it did. But it should be private, yeah, not pushed onto people...I don't believe in it because I don't believe in the magical beings some believe in..but the thinking process, the part where wishful thinking gives hope where there may otherwise be none, is a good one..

Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It's the way poetry and song gets created....
Hmmmmmm......I don't buy that the Beatles sat down to pray and accidently "created" Abby Road ?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM

no, wishing and hoping leads to songs and poetry, flyersfan
praying is just a form of it...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
no, wishing and hoping leads to songs and poetry, flyersfan
praying is just a form of it...
I agree that wishing has the same results as prayer......they both get you no where. I've never known anyone who wished they could write a song and somehow magically they were suddenly blessed with a musical ability to write music. Writing a song requires musical talent and a focused effort....wishing is neither of those.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM

of course you need talent and knowledge to write music or songs...but it stems from wishing and hoping...the thoughts behind a lot of songs stem from wishing and hoping for things..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism