Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times

Advertisements

Here's Gertie again, after re-purposing someone's living room curtains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Old 11-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
'Brother and Sister W. V. Grant'
W. V. was one of my favorites in the golden age of televangelists in the '80's. He really got physical with those he was healing, shoving them around the stage...apparently Jesus requires a muscular effort to induce a cure. One show I watched Grant was doing what he called the "Nine Signs of a Divinity Blessing." The first eight were all things which by happy coincidence, described W.V. The ninth sign he explained, was talking in tongues. This was instantly followed by Grant suddenly being seized and starting to blather...."Bragz spart culmal lizmerwin barago...." etc.

He then would feature his sudden tongue talking seizures once a program. I could not help but note that the tongues the Lord was running through Grant were never any recognizable languages, it was always just nonsense syllables strung together.

He wound up getting busted in Germany for fraud, I forget the specifics.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
'Brother and Sister W. V. Grant'
What is that? An early transexual???

Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
W. V. was one of my favorites in the golden age of televangelists in the '80's. He really got physical with those he was healing, shoving them around the stage...apparently Jesus requires a muscular effort to induce a cure. One show I watched Grant was doing what he called the "Nine Signs of a Divinity Blessing." The first eight were all things which by happy coincidence, described W.V. The ninth sign he explained, was talking in tongues. This was instantly followed by Grant suddenly being seized and starting to blather...."Bragz spart culmal lizmerwin barago...." etc.

He then would feature his sudden tongue talking seizures once a program. I could not help but note that the tongues the Lord was running through Grant were never any recognizable languages, it was always just nonsense syllables strung together.

He wound up getting busted in Germany for fraud, I forget the specifics.
I seem to remember that one .....
This is my favorite of the former crook Televangelists....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg

Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
[WV Grant] wound up getting busted in Germany for fraud, I forget the specifics.
Hadn't heard of this particular one so did a little research.

He did 16 months for tax fraud in the US in '96. Since then he resurrected his ministry like a lot of other convicted frauds (Jim Bakker, etc) have done.

The article cited above documents his use of false CV and so forth.

His web site makes all sorts of wildly extravagant claims about what a great guy he is and what an amazing life he has had. Had his foot "more than half cut off" and miraculously healed, run over by a semi truck and "thrown hundreds of feet" and (you guessed it) miraculously healed, etc.

You can't make this stuff up ...

Old 11-29-2017, 05:04 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFtMVY-uD-0

Old 11-29-2017, 05:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hadn't heard of this particular one so did a little research.

He did 16 months for tax fraud in the US in '96. Since then he resurrected his ministry like a lot of other convicted frauds (Jim Bakker, etc) have done.

The article cited above documents his use of false CV and so forth.

His web site makes all sorts of wildly extravagant claims about what a great guy he is and what an amazing life he has had. Had his foot "more than half cut off" and miraculously healed, run over by a semi truck and "thrown hundreds of feet" and (you guessed it) miraculously healed, etc.

You can't make this stuff up ...
I knew that Grant had been busted, but I was confusing the locale with the arrest of Ernest Angley. He was in Germany claiming to be a faith healer, so the Munich police arrested him and charged him with practicing medicine without a license, which I thought was hilarious. You may not remember Angley's name, but if you ever saw him, you never forgot him.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I dunno. The Holy Ghost Enema has a special place in my heart - https://hooktube.com/watch?v=2jhw_5ye8Qo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism