Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 04:57 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times

Advertisements

I feel like I need to post a disclaimer. What is said or joked about here in the A&A forum stays in the A&A. We do not view it as sacrilegious because we do not believe there are gods or a god. No offense intended but I find this funny because as many years as I was a Christian, you'd think I would have understood the whole trinity thing but I never did. Still don't. This is my take on it. It's just a pic, not a video.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...esus-image.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 05:02 PM

19,967 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I feel like I need to post a disclaimer. What is said or joked about here in the A&A forum stays in the A&A. We do not view it as sacrilegious because we do not believe there are gods or a god. No offense intended but I find this funny because as many years as I was a Christian, you'd think I would have understood the whole trinity thing but I never did. Still don't. This is my take on it. It's just a pic, not a video.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/mem...esus-image.jpg
Lol! Yes that about sums it up. Christianity really created all sorts of problems for itself with this son of god but wholly god and wholly man business.

I'll chip in with something from Twitter. The other day a woman posted railing against all this nonsense about people's preferred pronouns. It's not Biblical! There are no pronouns in the Bible, she declared. And Jesus never used pronouns.

Someone just calmly quoted John 18:6, "When Jesus said, "I am He", they drew back and fell to the ground ..."

I mean, you can't make this stuff up ...

Old 08-01-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Here it is! This had me rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jG0GtN8wI
I'm voting for Octopus Jesus, lol!

Old 08-01-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm voting for Octopus Jesus, lol!
Yes! That cracked me up.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Lol! Yes that about sums it up. Christianity really created all sorts of problems for itself with this son of god but wholly god and wholly man business.

I'll chip in with something from Twitter. The other day a woman posted railing against all this nonsense about people's preferred pronouns. It's not Biblical! There are no pronouns in the Bible, she declared. And Jesus never used pronouns.

Someone just calmly quoted John 18:6, "When Jesus said, "I am He", they drew back and fell to the ground ..."

I mean, you can't make this stuff up ...
LOL reminds me of that uh, woman, on that show Trading Spouses several years ago. Whew, look it up, she was cra-cra with her religion and screaming at everyone about how, well, I'll look for it. It's very hard to describe.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpva_iit-8

Old 08-01-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Not an atheists joke exactly but had to share this with the science nerds on here.

Attachment 237089

I know this is from May but that's funny

Old 08-01-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
LOL reminds me of that uh, woman, on that show Trading Spouses several years ago. Whew, look it up, she was cra-cra with her religion and screaming at everyone about how, well, I'll look for it. It's very hard to describe.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpva_iit-8
Yeah that is pretty epic. Maybe someday I will get to be called a gargoyle, lol. That's a new one. You wonder what sorts of weird fantasies fill the heads of people like that. And it points out how much more impressed such people are with things that are, in this lady's parlance "dark-sided" ... the works of Satan, demons, temptation, sin ... these things are what they obsess over, as if righteousness, goodness, kindness, mercy, and the great virtues all vaporize on contact with the slightest human weakness. I guess their god is pretty powerless.

I don't know why it's so hard for the religious to acknowledge that this kind of behavior is problematic. But they tend to studiously avoid connecting it with their dogma. It is always some extreme outlier and not representative of True Believers. We have people here promoting this bizarre ideation that is analogous to "guns don't kill people, people kill people" -- "religion doesn't make people into asshats, people make themselves into it". As if guns don't make killing infinitely easier and more tempting and efficient, and some forms of religion don't make asshattery infinitely easier and more tempting and efficient.

The whole purpose of religion is to make people better than they were to begin with, not to turn them into spittle-splattering screaming banshees. That seems like a pretty basic and easy to understand concept.

And yet ... here we are.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:56 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Here it is! This had me rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jG0GtN8wI

Old 08-02-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah that is pretty epic. Maybe someday I will get to be called a gargoyle, lol. That's a new one. You wonder what sorts of weird fantasies fill the heads of people like that. And it points out how much more impressed such people are with things that are, in this lady's parlance "dark-sided" ... the works of Satan, demons, temptation, sin ... these things are what they obsess over, as if righteousness, goodness, kindness, mercy, and the great virtues all vaporize on contact with the slightest human weakness. I guess their god is pretty powerless.

I don't know why it's so hard for the religious to acknowledge that this kind of behavior is problematic. But they tend to studiously avoid connecting it with their dogma. It is always some extreme outlier and not representative of True Believers. We have people here promoting this bizarre ideation that is analogous to "guns don't kill people, people kill people" -- "religion doesn't make people into asshats, people make themselves into it". As if guns don't make killing infinitely easier and more tempting and efficient, and some forms of religion don't make asshattery infinitely easier and more tempting and efficient.

The whole purpose of religion is to make people better than they were to begin with, not to turn them into spittle-splattering screaming banshees. That seems like a pretty basic and easy to understand concept.

And yet ... here we are.
LOL Being called a gargoyle would be much more pleasant than what I've been called lately. I actually wouldn't mind being called a gargoyle. I think it would be a cool username but I'm sure it's already taken. That lady is how I envision the radicals here, but she's nicer.

I don't know either. There's a disconnect when you've been brainwashed, I think some of these folks have
experienced it and we're seeing the results of it. Seems like a lot of zealots can't make heads or tails out of much of anything when their minds have been conditioned to focus on this one thing. They're bound to act crazy just like I did when I first came to this board. It's confusion, determination to convert even if ya have to be mean, questions and most likely doubts that are burdening these people.

But I could be completely wrong about all that and they are just extreme outliers, like you said. I probably need to quit trying to see the good in people because sometimes it's just not there.

asshattery and spittle-splattering screaming banshees. LOL that's priceless.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:25 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:

Found it:

I would have watched her on her own reality TV show. That is TV gold. Fanatical christians are way more entertaining than your average non believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism