Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote!!!
Abortion Pro-life 15 14.85%
Abortion Pro-choice 75 74.26%
For Gay Marriage 86 85.15%
Against Gay Marriage 14 13.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
You are confusing 2 separate issues: abortion and child support. They don't directly relate.
How can a man possibly "have a say" in an abortion without taking away the woman's right to choose?

Let's look at this realistically:
Man wants to keep baby - woman does not. How do we reconcile this? Here's one way: Man gets the right to say "If you even consider an abortion without consulting me and decide to keep the baby, then I don't have to pay you child support".
Makes no sense.
Here's another way:
Man wants to keep baby - woman does not. Woman gets the right to say: You (man) get your say and so I have to give birth even though I don't want to but, after that birth - you have to raise it all by yourself.
Again, makes no sense.

Ultimately there are 2 possible outcomes of any pregnancy:
1) A baby is born - and both parents are legally responsible for it.
2) No baby is born - nobody has to take care of one or make any payments.
I'm not advocating the man to have control over the woman's body. All I mean is that if the man is expected to be a parent he should be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,069 times
I believe that everybody was given free will to do whatever they want as long as they aren't harming anyone.

So yup I'm in favor of gay marriages.

Now regarding abortion, that's a more delicate issue because someone dies, although I believe women should have the right to decide whether they want the children or not, because if an undesired child is brought to this world he will many times endure much more hardships and for a much longer time, I believe in reincarnation so death isn't that of a big deal to me, although if my S.O accidentaly got pregnant, I would tell her that she has the final choice about it but I'd be fully supportive in the case she wants to have it, I thank God that I've never been in that situation because if my S.O. decided to abort I would feel really bad.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
The issue of abortion can never be solved to please evryone or every angle. Some of it depends on when you consider an embryo to be "life". An embryo cannot exist outside of the human host (it's sort of a parasite, I guess), or test tube....so maybe ending its parasitic life makes no difference. I don't know. I also believe in reincarnation so IF that embryo does have a soul, that soul will return regardless.

I am a woman, I bore two children, I would never, ever have an abortion myself, but that has nothing to do with the killing a person. I simply could not end the life of a baby that would be mine. But that would be my choice and not for anyone else to make.

But then again, what about the father? Does he have any say-so in the matter? Whew...big controvery here. The parasitic embryo is not growing in his body, he will not carry it or give birth to it and in many cases he will not be there to support or raise it...he made it possible, however. I have no good thoughts on this angle...maybe some one else does

Old 07-01-2008, 05:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I'm not advocating the man to have control over the woman's body. All I mean is that if the man is expected to be a parent he should be considered.
Well I agree with that.
But - what would be the practical/actual application of that consideration?
How exactly does a man "get a say" without taking away the woman's right to have control over her body? Men can talk. Men can protest. Men can even sue. But how else do you propose that their consideration be factored into the pro-choice model? That's an honest question because I don't see a way.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
For what's its worth; I'm pro-choice and for gay marriage.
Ditto!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM

251 posts, read 880,383 times
Guess i am in the minority here, i am pro life and anti homosexual marriage.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Most of my views are conservative, however, I am very PRO CHOICE. Its one hot topic with me. years ago when I was a christian, I was pro choice then as well. Although my religious views have changed, my stance on abortion has not. I am undecided on gay marriage.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Well, as a lesbian, I'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with reasons WHY same-sex couples shouldn't be allowed to the same rights as heterosexual couples.

As for abortion....I support it in cases of rape, incest, and/or pregnancy threatens the mother's life or it causes her severe health problems. After a certain point, I would just say give the child up for adoption. I know some women cannot afford to feed themselves, yet alone another child so abortion is an option for them. In cases of just an unplanned pregnancy, it could have been prevented for the most part. Double up with a condom and birth control or get the shot along with making your partner wear a condom, an IUD, etc, etc. I know sometimes pregnancy still happens despite preventative measures but if you find out in time, you can always get an abortion OR give it up for adoption.

All in all, I don't want to restrict people just as I don't want to be restricted.
As long as you aren't hurting me or anyone else, why should I care?
I know some would argue abortion is murder but I disagree (up until a certain point).

Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Seeing as how most social conservatism stems from religion, I was curious about what everyone here thinks about these two "moral issues".
I think that you are wrong on this assumption. I find most people who are socially conservative are about as far from religion as anyone could be.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Moral issues. I think of being moral as knowing the difference between right and wrong to the extent I try to do the right thing for the right reason. Issues are usually higly emotional or they wouldn't be issues to begin with.

I am against gay marriage, but not against a *legal union* that disolves in court just like a divorce, Everyone should be able to enjoy the same rights that I as a married person has IE: insurance, spousal pension, toint tenancy, not tenant in common, power of attorney, etc., I've heard too many cases where there significant other lost everything after the death of a partner. That is NOT fair by any reasoning.

I am pro TRIAD: Doctor, woman and the god of her choosing. Until the first man gives birth to something besides a kidney stone, Congress should stay out of it. The reason being, it wasn't so long ago that women who wanted an abortion had to go to a back alley hack, A couple of friends died from it. On the other hand our children should be taught better by parents. It might not stop them, but the idea that 4.5.6 graders have already had sex because they think they HAVE to, is outrageous.

Moral authority and Moral values are the two hot buttons for me expecially when they are spewed by persons who have the morals of a snake and no conscience..

That's where I am on this one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism