Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
No it doesn't.
I would quote you scriptures where it is quite apparent what it is advocating, but it would be fruitless. You do not operate within the realm of reality. You are the epitome of contradiction. You reject the supernatural (magic) yet also reject the natural (science). You purportedly reject illogic while at the same time reject logic.

So it would be quite a waste of time for me to even address someone so inherently illogical. Good day, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Seems to me that the original authors of the bible must have already had a sense of good and bad behaviors when they took to their writings. Man already knew what constituted inappropriate behavior well before the birth & writings of Christianity. Is picking up a club and bashing-in the head of your fellow cave dweller productive? What about that mammoth you need to mutually slay with your friend later this afternoon? Can't do it on your own, now can you?

So, a little bit of logical thought, facilitated by the then-recently evolved sense of abstract future-thinking we acquired from our simian ancestors, suggests that uncontrolled friend bashing "is just not done, ewld chep! It's not sporting", don't you know!

If we all just smashed and bashed for minor reasons, such as liking our friend's cute wife, so "blammo", he's gone. "Wonder why she still doesn't like me?" Common sense is why!

To assume that a lack of belief in a particular super-hero thus, ergo, leads to a total lack of ethics is frustratingly narrow, and probably determinedly & purposefully hostile on it's face. Not to mention representative of a "holier than thou" attitude, as in "only the holy" are worthy citizens; none other should represent or comment on the civilized human race.

Common sense thinking leads to common sense behavior, no secret meetings or biblical incantations required. Functional pragmatism uber-alles! Atheists are nice people too!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward08 View Post
Isn't that what laws are? Drive too fast and you get a ticket. Rob someone and you go to jail. If you read most religious books you see that the idea is to ingrain a sense of good and decency in all mankind. Of course not all people read the Bible or Torah. Society is trying to replace religious values with secular ones. I don't know how that will work or if it will improve or hurt our country in the long run.
Laws are to be based on rational thinking, not personal biases. The bible advocates slavery, genocide and the Law. Thinking rationally about what is/isn't right or wrong actually teaches someone what actually is right and what actually is wrong. Someone doesn't need the fear of punishment or prospect of reward to act morally, although being moral based on the belief that someone will punish you if you do/don't do x action is inherently immoral since you're just blindly following whatever that authority tells someone to do.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Laws are to be based on rational thinking, not personal biases. The bible advocates slavery, genocide and the Law. Thinking rationally about what is/isn't right or wrong actually teaches someone what actually is right and what actually is wrong. Someone doesn't need the fear of punishment or prospect of reward to act morally, although being moral based on the belief that someone will punish you if you do/don't do x action is inherently immoral since you're just blindly following whatever that authority tells someone to do.
Being moral is also about what is good for oneself.

Self interest over the long run is all about the basis for laws and morality. In the short term, stealing might be good for me, but in the long term, that action will elicit an attack from the victim. So, I don't steal so I won't be stolen from or attacked. Same goes for most decisions we make. I am kind to people because in the long run, my kindness will be repaid by someone else. Also, I don't allow others to take advantage of me, because in the long run, I won't be in a good position if I do. Morality is all about making choices over the long-term benefit to oneself and ones clan (because being in good standing in one's clan benefits oneself).

The problem with religion-enforced morality is that the advantage is too often to someone else and to my own disadvantage. It isn't really moral to cede my choices to an authority that is not fair. The basis of law is to reach a middle ground where I need to cede some things so I may have a fair chance overall. Tyranny is never moral, whether is is based on religion or a dictatorship.

Last edited by Tesaje; 04-15-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
I would quote you scriptures where it is quite apparent what it is advocating, but it would be fruitless. You do not operate within the realm of reality. You are the epitome of contradiction. You reject the supernatural (magic) yet also reject the natural (science). You purportedly reject illogic while at the same time reject logic.

So it would be quite a waste of time for me to even address someone so inherently illogical. Good day, sir.

You don't have an answer, so you just stop playing the game? That's telling.

I don't deny the supernatural. I believe God is not part of the natural universe--so by definition he is supernatural.

I don't deny science, either. Traditionally, the leading scientists in the world have been Christians. I reject humanistic science that accounts for the unproven theories of the godless creation of the universe, abiogenesis, and evolution.

I embrace logic. I have yet to see many atheists on this board that will actually think logically. when I provide an argument that they cannot answer, they instead just call it stupid and ignore it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
You don't have an answer, so you just stop playing the game? That's telling.

I don't deny the supernatural. I believe God is not part of the natural universe--so by definition he is supernatural.

I don't deny science, either. Traditionally, the leading scientists in the world have been Christians. I reject humanistic science that accounts for the unproven theories of the godless creation of the universe, abiogenesis, and evolution.

Wrong.....Traditionally the Christian faith persecuted scientists and denied science

I embrace logic. I have yet to see many atheists on this board that will actually think logically. when I provide an argument that they cannot answer, they instead just call it stupid and ignore it.
Could that be because your arguments are based on myth rather than fact? Logical minds generally do not accept myth except as entertainment

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Could that be because your arguments are based on myth rather than fact? Logical minds generally do not accept myth except as entertainment

no.

And I agree. I don't accept myths either. I firmly reject the idea that we evolved from a single-celled organism that came from nothing.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Deny evolution all you want, but you use the products of evolution daily. If fact you are one of those products and proof of evolution exists within your own body.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Deny evolution all you want, but you use the products of evolution daily. If fact you are one of those products and proof of evolution exists within your own body.

I would say you can deny God all you want, but you use products of creation daily--including your own body.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I would say you can deny God all you want, but you use products of creation daily--including your own body.
Don't believe in evolution? Then why do you have the remnants of a tail?

I'll tell ya what...I'd believe in creation if men actually had one less rib than a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism