Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times

Advertisements

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh........ I see where this is headed. Is that kind of like pointing out that Sarah Palin's husband was affiliated with that group in Alaska that wanted to separate from the United States? How exactly did Joe Vogler, the leader of the Alaska Independence Party - the same party Todd Palin was affiliated with - put it? How did it go again? Wasn't it something like:

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government. And I won't be buried under their damn flag. I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."

Now, it seems to me like Sarah Palin is a pot calling a kettle black, no?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
or if Palin will comment on her running mates association with an organization that was once called by the anti-defamation league as "a point of contact for extremists, racists and anti-Semites"

The Associated Press: McCain linked to group in Iran-Contra affair

There is a phrase that I can't think of that fits this whole ordeal..

something about stones and glass houses. dangit. just escaped me. sorry.. can't think of it.. but its really funny. I hope I remember it.. it would really make sense here..

what is it again.. those in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.. or something like that..

Give em' hell Palin!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Gee, wasn't the Keating 5 and the Savings & Loan debacle part of McCain's past? (Not to mention Neil Bush's).

Old 10-08-2008, 01:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh........ I see where this is headed. Is that kind of like pointing out that Sarah Palin's husband was affiliated with that group in Alaska that wanted to separate from the United States? How exactly did Joe Vogler, the leader of the Alaska Independence Party - the same party Todd Palin was affiliated with - put it? How did it go again? Wasn't it something like:

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government. And I won't be buried under their damn flag. I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."

Now, it seems to me like Sarah Palin is a pot calling a kettle black, no?

Or what about the African pastor, who prayed over her and whom she claims has helped her political career? The one who can be seen praying over Sarah to keep away witchcraft in a Youtube video?

Pastor Thomas Muthee, originally from Kenya, apparently believes in witchcraft. Back in his village in Kenya, there was a fortune teller woman who lived near the site of several car crashes. Pastor Muthee publicly branded her "a witch" and had her run out of town, while villagers wanted to stone her.

And Moosellini dares to bring up Rev. Wright?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gee, wasn't the Keating 5 and the Savings & Loan debacle part of McCain's past? (Not to mention Neil Bush's).
One difference though. McCain admitted to it and even said he made a huge error in hanging with those guys and accepting contributions from them and learned from it. Obama has denied it....sorta like Clinton's " I never inhaled". You know, we all do stupid things when we are young and I think if Obama just owned up to it and said, "Hey, I was young and naive and didn't understand this guy or his background"...whatever...most people could forgive that. It is the lying about it and trying to diminish his relationship with Ayers, Flager, et al, that has some folks upset.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
One difference though. McCain admitted to it and even said he made a huge error in hanging with those guys and accepting contributions from them and learned from it. Obama has denied it....sorta like Clinton's " I never inhaled". You know, we all do stupid things when we are young and I think if Obama just owned up to it and said, "Hey, I was young and naive and didn't understand this guy or his background"...whatever...most people could forgive that. It is the lying about it and trying to diminish his relationship with Ayers, Flager, et al, that has some folks upset.
I'm confused. What did Obama lie about?

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Fact Check: Is Obama ‘palling around with terrorists’? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
when I first saw your name Ann in Oriental I thought you might be in Asia someplace

I thought the same thing.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Not saying that he agrees with Ayers. And I believe Obama when he said that Ayers acts were detestable. I will even go as far as saying that he may not have known about Ayers background. It is his statement about his relationship that "ain't necessarily so."

The recently relased University of Illinois-Chicago records show that Obama and Ayers attended board meetings, retreats and at least one news conference together as the education program got under way. The two continued to attend meetings together during the 1995-2001 operation of the program, records show.

At a Democratic debate this year when the association between Obama and Ayers was raised, Obama said: “This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood. . . . He’s not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis.” Obama called Ayers’ past radical acts detestable.
But critics note that Obama visited Ayers’ home for a meeting at the start of his first state Senate bid in the mid-’90s.

The UIC records showed that Ayers was instrumental in securing the $50 million education grant to reform Chicago Public Schools, part of a national initiative funded by the late Ambassador Walter Annenberg. . After Chicago was awarded the money, Obama served as president of the Challenge’s board of directors, the fiscal arm that disbursed the grants to schools and raised private matching funds. Ayers participated in a second entity known as the Chicago School Reform Collaborative, the operational arm that worked with the grant recipients.

Now, these are facts and it's way more than "just someone who lives in my neighborhood". Like I said, I'm not saying Obama reflects Ayers values or anything like that. But during interviews and during the Democratic debate, he played off his relationship with Ayers. He made it out that he barely spoke to the guy, didn't really know him and all that. He is obviously embarrassed by his connection or feared that it could have hurt his campaign. He should have just been upfront about it.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Not saying that he agrees with Ayers. And I believe Obama when he said that Ayers acts were detestable. I will even go as far as saying that he may not have known about Ayers background. It is his statement about his relationship that "ain't necessarily so."

The recently relased University of Illinois-Chicago records show that Obama and Ayers attended board meetings, retreats and at least one news conference together as the education program got under way. The two continued to attend meetings together during the 1995-2001 operation of the program, records show.

At a Democratic debate this year when the association between Obama and Ayers was raised, Obama said: “This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood. . . . He’s not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis.” Obama called Ayers’ past radical acts detestable.
But critics note that Obama visited Ayers’ home for a meeting at the start of his first state Senate bid in the mid-’90s.

The UIC records showed that Ayers was instrumental in securing the $50 million education grant to reform Chicago Public Schools, part of a national initiative funded by the late Ambassador Walter Annenberg. . After Chicago was awarded the money, Obama served as president of the Challenge’s board of directors, the fiscal arm that disbursed the grants to schools and raised private matching funds. Ayers participated in a second entity known as the Chicago School Reform Collaborative, the operational arm that worked with the grant recipients.

Now, these are facts and it's way more than "just someone who lives in my neighborhood". Like I said, I'm not saying Obama reflects Ayers values or anything like that. But during interviews and during the Democratic debate, he played off his relationship with Ayers. He made it out that he barely spoke to the guy, didn't really know him and all that. He is obviously embarrassed by his connection or feared that it could have hurt his campaign. He should have just been upfront about it.
So your definition of lying is when he explains something.. and you don't agree with his answer.. then he is lying.

Makes sense.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So your definition of lying is when he explains something.. and you don't agree with his answer.. then he is lying.

Makes sense.
It's not a matter of me agreeing with his answer or not. His answer wasn't exactly truthful. Ok...he misrepresented his acquaintance with Ayers. Happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism