Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
(Note: I never criticize one's private spirituality or beliefs, just those who would force their ideas on the rest of us. Hence the thread topic: just what influence might Ms. Palin have on future governmental edicts in this country? It's potentially frightening.)

Wow! There it is again (see quote above about aetheists in foxholes)! Actually, if this were true, which it surely ain't, it would just be another example of the true rationale for organized religion, specifically, to frighten otherwise thoughtful people. The tired old "Fire insurance", "What if you're wrong?", "Better to sit in heaven than burn in hell!" crud-ola permeates Last Minute Conversionists ("LMCs"! A new Religious Order! Gosh... it was so easy! Maybe I can get folks to send in money to support my new ministry?).

If survivors of foxhole conversionism were truly permanently converted, every survivor from such meaningful adventures as the Battle of the Bulge, both German and American, would, ergo, all be Christian. But of course they're not. Duhhh.

I recently read the biography of a WWII USAAF bomber crew tailgunner who, along with 3 others in his crew, fervently prayed before each of their flights over enemy territory. Of course, predictably, their plane was pretty much sawed in half by cannon shells from an ME109, and they plummetted into terra firma, rather conclusively. The author managed to escape and parachute into the waiting arms of some rather cruel German soldiers, but the entire rest of the crew perished. Pretty much identical survival statistics under any and all dangerous endeavours for praying believers, atheists, Muslims, Buddists, etc. etc. Doesn't EVER change anything for any of them. But, again, one is entitled to their own personal spirituality especially if it makes them comfortable. Hence the prayers of a suicide bomber just before he blows up a few dozen Christian believers.

I suppose you could categorize most of these sorts of fear-mongering lies as "Prophesies of Convenience" What a sad commentary on the ability of many people to face up to the truth...

See you on the other side!
WOW ! first of all when god is mentioned in ''state'' or any other term it is not ''organized religion'' it is defined as OBJECT of worship! or are you folks against worship? because god to my cousin joey is a figurine of pappa smurf...is that o'k with you ! or no? you tell us what we can't worship in our Private foxhole!atheisim itself is a belief???

Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 AM

520 posts, read 895,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
WOW ! first of all when god is mentioned in ''state'' or any other term it is not ''organized religion'' it is defined as OBJECT of worship! or are you folks against worship? because god to my cousin joey is a figurine of pappa smurf...is that o'k with you ! or no? you tell us what we can't worship in our Private foxhole!atheisim itself is a belief???
I am against mindless devoute worship as a result of fear, which i think is the point rifleman was trying to drive in the first place

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,318 times
Quote:
are you folks against worship? because god to my cousin joey is a figurine of pappa smurf...is that o'k with you ! or no? you tell us what we can't worship in our Private foxhole!
Interesting question. Yes, I suppose I am "against" worship - that is, I don't believe that worshipping anything is a productive or realistic thing to do. Of course, I won't tell anybody what they can or can't worship in their own foxhole. Go ahead and worship Papa Smurf if you or cousin Joey see fit.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Interesting question. Yes, I suppose I am "against" worship - that is, I don't believe that worshipping anything is a productive or realistic thing to do. Of course, I won't tell anybody what they can or can't worship in their own foxhole. Go ahead and worship Papa Smurf if you or cousin Joey see fit.
EXACTLY ! so......In god we trust! even if its a smurf!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I am very very much afraid that if the GOP wins this election Sarah Palen will try to inflict her Assembly of God thinking on the rest of the country. I think she's very dangerous and I wondered if anyone else feels that way too. We surely do not share her religious beliefs and I wonder if she will try to cause problems for those of us who do not, like she tried to do with the librarian who would not remove some books.
No ..i'm scared of orientals that misspell the running mates !

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
there are no atheiests in fox holes !
If this isn't a joke, you're way wrong.
First of all, it's athEIst. Please learn to spell it before you try to condemn and make up stories about us.
I am a veteran and atheist; there are many veteran atheists on this board, a good number of them have seen combat and have not been converted.

Educating yourself is a good thing. Try reading any of the following:

www.atheistfoxholes.org/images/AIFHIraqOFA.gif (broken link) (this is a photo)
Atheists in Foxholes
Atheists In Foxholes Monument (http://www.ffrf.org/foxholes/ - broken link)
Atheist in a Foxhole (http://www.americanhumanist.org/humanism/foxhole.html - broken link)
Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
In Memory of Atheists in Foxholes
Atheists & Foxholes - TIME: Despite pious rumor, there are atheists in foxholes. So writes Transport Chaplain Lewis A. Myers in the current Arkansas Baptist: "Foxholes are not valid agents for making Christians, for destroying atheists or for driving men to God. ... If you desire a man to come out of a foxhole with something, you had better send him in with something.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If this isn't a joke, you're way wrong.
First of all, it's athEIst. Please learn to spell it before you try to condemn and make up stories about us.
I am a veteran and atheist; there are many veteran atheists on this board, a good number of them have seen combat and have not been converted.

Educating yourself is a good thing. Try reading any of the following:

www.atheistfoxholes.org/images/AIFHIraqOFA.gif (http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/images/AIFHIraqOFA.gif - broken link) (this is a photo)
Atheists in Foxholes
Atheists In Foxholes Monument (http://www.ffrf.org/foxholes/ - broken link)
Atheist in a Foxhole (http://www.americanhumanist.org/humanism/foxhole.html - broken link)
Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
In Memory of Atheists in Foxholes
Atheists & Foxholes - TIME: Despite pious rumor, there are atheists in foxholes. So writes Transport Chaplain Lewis A. Myers in the current Arkansas Baptist: "Foxholes are not valid agents for making Christians, for destroying atheists or for driving men to God. ... If you desire a man to come out of a foxhole with something, you had better send him in with something.
Thanks for the data! I love the monument...I dont see the monument words on head stones! My mother works in a hospice, and you would be suprised how a atheist changes his/her tune as they take the last breaths and cry for help ....and to die in such depair.....hey you preach no god...we preach a god ! i dont see a difference? A atheist is still a believer in their beliefs, ones which you would like to imposse on me...its all good..whatever floats your boat, and o.k I was wrong there are atheists in foxholes.....non-terminaly injured ones.....but hey you did your best!.... have a nice day!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM

It would be nice if you refrained from preaching your god thing in an atheist sub-forum.

You are free to believe whatever you want. No atheist has ever told you not to believe in a god thing. I wish I could say the same for xians and their approach to atheists.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 PM

To get back on topic: Sarah Palin's radical right-wing mentors | Salon News

Meet Sarah Palin’s radical right-wing pals

Extremists Mark Chryson and Steve Stoll helped launch Palin’s political career in Alaska, and in return had influence over policy. “Her door was open,” says Chryson — and still is.

Editor’s note: Research support provided by the Nation Institute Investigative Fund.
By Max Blumenthal and David Neiwert

Interesting and frightening article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism