Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,913 times

Advertisements

I was raised as an atheist, but I was interested in religion for a while, trying to believe there is a God, and I though the Bible teaches people how to love, forgive, and mercy. How WRONG and naive I was!! My Manager was baptized as a Christian, goes to church every Sunday. But guess what - He had me laid off from the company for revenge and retaliation (I went to HR because a co-worker verbally attached me in the office, but the Manager does not like his people to tell anything to HR, which I did not know). Religion does not make a person better, they are just the same, filled with hate, selfishness, and revenge. Why bother wasting my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM

300 posts, read 734,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyNJ View Post
I was raised as an atheist, but I was interested in religion for a while, trying to believe there is a God, and I though the Bible teaches people how to love, forgive, and mercy. How WRONG and naive I was!! My Manager was baptized as a Christian, goes to church every Sunday. But guess what - He had me laid off from the company for revenge and retaliation (I went to HR because a co-worker verbally attached me in the office, but the Manager does not like his people to tell anything to HR, which I did not know). Religion does not make a person better, they are just the same, filled with hate, selfishness, and revenge. Why bother wasting my time.
"Giving a religion to an a**hole does not turn the a**hole into a decent person, you just get a religious a**hole". ©

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly750 View Post
am glad I am not one.......I feel safe today, oh God will
show you his wrath one-day...GOOD-LUCK
You should not feel safe. You have rejected your lord Mythra. His righteous wrath hath been waxed against thee and you shall one day suffer the consequences of your foolish rebellion.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 AM

112 posts, read 180,068 times
No evidence that some man in the sky is pulling the strings, it's just irrational to blindly believe that. Sure you may say I have no proof to refute your claims that he exists but it's just plain ignorant to blindly follow something without any factual evidence. Just like I can't believe in "UFO sightings", hell there's more "evidence" that UFOs exist then there is god does.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
"Giving a religion to an a**hole does not turn the a**hole into a decent person, you just get a religious a**hole". ©
And this fact that religion does not make better people is very telling.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
There is a quote which goes something like, 'Good people do good things and bad people do bad things, but it takes religion to make good people do bad things'. That's the gist of it, anyway.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I was forced to go to church three times a week for the first 17 or so years of my life. I told myself I believed in it all, but I never really thought about religion except when I was at church, and half the time then I was thinking of other things. Then I started skipping church and telling my parents I was going with my friends to another one (same denomination, just different congregation). This went on for several years, and I'd go back every now and then. Eventually, after I no longer lived with my parents, I simply found that I didn't believe in a deity any more. The more I read about other religions and myths, the more I found I simply could not make myself believe these things. I don't dare tell anyone in my life that I'm an atheist, because I live in hard-core, right wing, fundamentalist Christian land. I've seen how they respond to people who aren't like them, and I'd rather not be ostracized while I still have to live here. Hopefully eventually I can move to a place where I'll fit in better.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM

654 posts, read 466,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Ok, first off, I am in no way bashing atheists! To tell the truth, I am not so sure if I believe in God? I am curious as to why you don't.
God made me this way.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly750 View Post
am glad I am not one.......I feel safe today, oh God will
show you his wrath one-day...GOOD-LUCK
And here you have the essence of religion: fear. Men who cannot or will not get a real job make a living off scaring people with tales of invisible worlds and invisible beings.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
What do all of you think about the Bible as being evidence of God?
I would give this the same credence as I would using Dr Seuss as proof of the Cat in the Hat. That I found a cow patty in a pasture does not mean that Babe the Blue Ox put it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism