Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I don't believe in any higher power, no deities, no gods, nothing. I do not believe in magic, faith healing, or an afterlife. I do not believe in these things but I admit they could possibly exist. I do not believe in any "sacred scripture" I think most of them are bronze age fairy tales made up in order to keep their followers in line.

Is it good to be an atheist? Hell it's great to be an atheist. I don't have to worry about pleasing any sky daddy looking down at me keeping a cosmic score. I don't have to attend boring church services every Sunday. I don't have to waste time praying every night, I've gained 5-10 minutes of extra sleep since "converting." I can think for myself and explore other points of view that I never dared consider while I was a member of the flock.
Yup! Ain't intellectual freedom wonderful, NGA? I think, in fact, that a state of mental atheism (i.e.: demonstrated intellectual honesty and integrity) makes devout fundy types very jealous, but their spiritual makeup does not allow them to enjoy such boundless freedom. Or if they try, they are hauled back in by the greater sheeple flock. After all, if this sort of thing became popular, purty-danged soon there'd be no flock to be co-warmed by!

They just can't break those bonds, tho' apparently you and I both did.

Nonetheless, there's always hope for them, and so I persist in trying to show them the light of lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Ain't intellectual freedom wonderful, NGA?
You know, that's exactly right.

Thinking back on my life, I have been taught almost nothing. My parents were very honest people who treated people fairly, so I guess I learned from their example.

I think religion or a philosophy of life are very important. Since I was taught nothing about it, I have been totally free to form my own opinions. After reading some of the horror stories in these discussion groups, I feel very fortunate.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
A benefit of being an atheist/agnostic-

you live in the real world and deal with reality on reality's terms.

You deal with problems in ways that will form constructive solutions rather than asking for an invisible man to come save you.

You give your love to real people rather than wasting it on invisible beings which, even if they did exist, they don't bother loving you back.

You spend your time and money on things that will give you a life of fulfillment and happiness rather than spending it serving a deity.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yup! Ain't intellectual freedom wonderful, NGA? I think, in fact, that a state of mental atheism (i.e.: demonstrated intellectual honesty and integrity) makes devout fundy types very jealous, but their spiritual makeup does not allow them to enjoy such boundless freedom. Or if they try, they are hauled back in by the greater sheeple flock. After all, if this sort of thing became popular, purty-danged soon there'd be no flock to be co-warmed by!

They just can't break those bonds, tho' apparently you and I both did.

Nonetheless, there's always hope for them, and so I persist in trying to show them the light of lights.
Oh when I first embraced atheism, I mean fully embraced mentally and emotionally, it was like this giant weight lifted off my shoulders. All of my life I had been taught that there was a god in the sky looking down at me, judging every action, hearing every thought, that's a lot pressure. Then I worried about my parents, my wife, her parents, it was the greatest cause of stress in my life. When I hear Christians tell me that Christianity is "true freedom," it takes a lot to not either laugh at them, or slap their face.

To fully understand and embrace the reality that there is no god in the sky judging me was freedom. To know that no thought is off limits, that no actions are out of bounds. (I'm speaking of legal actions only by the way) To not have to worry about the eternal state of my parents well free at last, free at last. Thank "god almighty" I'm free at last, is all I have to say.

I do try to "evangelize" as much as I can. I don't offer up my views unsolicited however. I don't appreciate it when Christians do it to me, so I try my best to not do it to them. I am not, however, afraid to articulate my views and defend them when necessary. I do believe that I have planted some seeds and turned a few light bulbs on. I know of the mental and emotional anguish, and torment I went through. I do not want anyone else to have to suffer like I did when I was a child.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I'm getting tired of the Christian view. Let me hear about the Atheist/Agnostic point of view. Is there a "diety" called god? Adam and Eve, how did they populate the earth. Has anyone heard of the Gospel of Eshua(hebrew for Jesus). The Vatican Corporation has copies. I'd like to hear the Atheist/Agnostic members from this forum. What are your non-beliefs?

Nothing be Praised!
Ok- The Adam & Eve thing creeps me out because their children would've had to have incestuous relationships to populate the Earth... which would make us all in-breds.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
NorthGA, that is a really good post. One of the best I have ever read.

Even though I have always been an atheist, I think it is nice how religion has helped so many people. When I used to watch Billy Graham on TV, the people walking down to be 'saved' looked so happy.

However, it is sad how many people like yourself have had religion forced down their throats, and how it has caused them so much anguish.

You know, I think we all want "true freedom". I assume a Christian gets freedom by turning his life over to Christ - kind of a freedon from responsibility. You and I like the freedom to think and do whatever we want, as long as we obey the laws. It is kind of like putting a square peg into a square hole.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh when I first embraced atheism, I mean fully embraced mentally and emotionally, it was like this giant weight lifted off my shoulders. All of my life I had been taught that there was a god in the sky looking down at me, judging every action, hearing every thought, that's a lot pressure. Then I worried about my parents, my wife, her parents, it was the greatest cause of stress in my life. When I hear Christians tell me that Christianity is "true freedom," it takes a lot to not either laugh at them, or slap their face.

To fully understand and embrace the reality that there is no god in the sky judging me was freedom. To know that no thought is off limits, that no actions are out of bounds. (I'm speaking of legal actions only by the way) To not have to worry about the eternal state of my parents well free at last, free at last. Thank "god almighty" I'm free at last, is all I have to say.

I do try to "evangelize" as much as I can. I don't offer up my views unsolicited however. I don't appreciate it when Christians do it to me, so I try my best to not do it to them. I am not, however, afraid to articulate my views and defend them when necessary. I do believe that I have planted some seeds and turned a few light bulbs on. I know of the mental and emotional anguish, and torment I went through. I do not want anyone else to have to suffer like I did when I was a child.
Great post NGA!

I felt the very same weight lift from my shoulders and a sense of freedom that had never experienced before as a believer.

Not only intellectual freedom but a freedom deep down in my...mind.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Even though I have always been an atheist, I think it is nice how religion has helped so many people. When I used to watch Billy Graham on TV, the people walking down to be 'saved' looked so happy.
FYI, I read in a BG book that he admitted that 90% of his converts had fallen away after one year. Furthermore,he probably was converting either nominal believers or believers from orthodox churches where the born again doctrine was not taught.

In my xian experience, alter calls are mostly existing member rededicating to swell the numbers, I also noticed that these folk always responded to alter calls.

FWIW

Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,794 times
Nothing. There is nothing positive or negative about being an atheist.
Now being a skeptic and secular humanist on the other hand does have its advantages.

Last edited by Gplex; 03-14-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM

77 posts, read 120,713 times
Default A Nothing.

There are times when my vision reads written thoughts that jolt me a little and I start thinking. Some times I concur, and some times I don’t concur with the statements. Regarding my thoughts about the thoughts presented, most of them never get any mental acknowledgement. Thoughts that get most of my attention are because I concur with joy and wonder. They usually agree with my thoughts and beliefs, or lead to assessments with more enlightenment. Some thoughts with which I do not agree, are stated in a reaching out manner that seems to implore one to affirm a negative. This writing is in response to the quoted thoughts of Gplex

I am an Atheist and I have been since about 9 or 10 years of age, which is when I started telling Sunday School Teachers that (Lessons they called their chatter) their Lessons, were silly lies and fairy tales. Since then my learning years have not ended. My life as opposed to that of Gplex has been both Positive and Negative. When something is Positive or Negative to my way of thinking (A Value Judgment ) it usually means there has been research by me, regarding the supposed actions or activities of the things in question. Specifically, if the item being researched ends up in a bucket of Myths without proof, then it is a negative not worthy of any more time wasted on exploring

In regard to Negative Items in my milieu, it means they have been researched either with longer or shorter periods of time, and with the same mental excitement that was accorded to objects, or statements that can be added to my views on life. This adding and omitting views by which I live, in a sense can be described as a magnificent hobby. One accepts that one is going to end one’s present life of being aware, but it is a life of wonderful happenings. To read that my way of life of enjoyment is a Nothing, except maybe a Non Event or a Neutral, can be stated as Hog Wash. I accept that to Gplex my way of life as an aware human, might be one of his favorite Value Judgments. However, I am not capable of living in Gplex’s milieu, and I have a firm Value Judgment, that neither can Gplex live in mine.

I too, was a Skeptic, which does not mean I couldn't be an Atheist, which I am. One may be a skeptic only when it comes to words such as Religion and Faith. Perhaps I do not accept that a Skeptic is a Lazy Researcher. (Note Sceptic and Skeptic are allowable) One famous dictionary has half a dozen definitions of a Skeptic’s doubts. One definition is that real knowledge of any kind is unattainable. That sentence is crazy. If I have a small white rock, it is one. If I add another small white rock, then without a doubt, I have two small white rocks. Perhaps a second Skeptic doubts the competence of reason, which makes it difficult to judge. Do these Skeptics have doubts about their own reasoning? Does one only have doubts in regard to Atheist’s beliefs? Between the definitions mentioned there are massive differences. One might have to entwine the word Skeptic with the name of Doubter.]

Personally, with a bit of thinking I am led to the belief, or have a Value Judgment, that being a so called Skeptic or Doubter, without naming some of one’s beliefs hand in hand with one’s Doubts, only kicks up frivolous dust. Sure, the dust might be mental dust, which I have a definite feeling can be cleared through the use of Mental Reasoning Creating Clarity. I affirm that one can only reason like an Atheist, by being one.

Cheers Snaefell.

Last edited by Snaefell; 03-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism