Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 AM

720 posts, read 706,014 times

Advertisements

I have always argued, you can't debate a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
ever time a bad guy gets his butt kicked an angel gets his wings in heaven.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ever time a bad guy gets his butt kicked an angel gets his wings in heaven.
If they exist, how do you know angels have wings and what would they need them for? Surely a spiritual being has no need of any physical methods of transportation? Or are these just for show? Or is the concept of angels just mere speculation aka BS?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 AM

102 posts, read 152,958 times
Been seeing the word 'prove' tossed around a lot in regards to various things. Are we talking about 'prove' in the strong rationalism sense? As in no one should believe a proposition unless it can be shown rationally by logic or empirically by sense experience? Proof in this view is an argument so strong that no person whose logical faculties are working properly would have reason for disbelieving it. I think we may be asking too much of our worldviews here to be speaking this magnanimously.
Maybe a better question would be, what is the best explaination of the evidence? Now that's a broad question, probably too broad. The original thread seemed to be asking what is a fool? Answers will be biased based on our worldview. But is it logically, rationally or even realistic to think that people who believe in God are all consigned to simplmindedness and idiocy? This betrays a strong emotional and non-rational prejudice and weakens any logical argument.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you think there is a God, how did he get here? By your logic, there must necessarily have been a God before him, right?
Well, you know the saying:

You can lead a theist to knowledge but you can't make him think

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM

178 posts, read 184,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
There are special needs children too, hate drawing the parallel but while we at it, why does your gawd not heal these special needs folk?
For you everything would have to be perfect in order to believe that there is a God? That would be heaven, and we aren't there yet.
God is sovereign. While he heals many, we do not know why others aren't healed, but He always has a good reason for everything He does. That He doesn't share it with you doesn't mean that it isn't good.

Quote:
Oh I forgot, he is not real.
For you He isn't, but He is to many. The blind cannot see, but that doesn't mean there isn't something there to see. I'm sorry that you remain blind.

Quote:
Maybe next time proof read what you type.
ETA:

So non believers are not special then? I thought the whole hype was that your gawd was proud of his creation, that would include us heathen then will it not?
I stand by what I typed. Sorry that it doesn't meet your approval. When you believe in Jesus, you become a child of God, special in that you are heir to God's kingdom along with all other believers. Those that have not accepted Jesus, remain enemies of God. It is true that God loves you and wants you to be part of the family, but that means you have to accept Jesus, when you do, you will be special too. If you die without accepting Jesus, the same as rejecting Him, you will not spend eternity with God.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM

178 posts, read 184,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Oh yes, you guys are sooo special! Why, they even named and educational system to handle you.
Your insults don't bother me. I'm covered by Jesus. I am special.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 PM

102 posts, read 152,958 times
I think where the psalmists is going with the statement that the fool says there is no God, is something all of us can relate to. Maybe on a smaller scale we could liken it to a man walking into a tiger cage at a zoo and arogantly stating there is no tiger in here so why should he act like there is and be afraid?. The psalmist would be the one on the outside of the cage looking at this show while the tiger creeps up from behind. I think the point is from the Hebrew psalmist: "do you know how puny you are and what God could do to you? To walk around boasting there is no God and living like there isn't is a profoundly foolish thing to do"
If there is a God, I think he makes a strong point.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
For you everything would have to be perfect in order to believe that there is a God? That would be heaven, and we aren't there yet.
Well we are instructed to be "perfect" as the father in heaven are we not? HEnce your gawd should be perfect and IF we are his creation, that too should be perfect unless of course you are going to defer to satan which in all apologetics, makes him more powerful than your gawd.
Quote:
God is sovereign. While he heals many, we do not know why others aren't healed, but He always has a good reason for everything He does. That He doesn't share it with you doesn't mean that it isn't good.
Your gawd heals no one. All of your healings are not medically verified.
Quote:
For you He isn't, but He is to many. The blind cannot see, but that doesn't mean there isn't something there to see. I'm sorry that you remain blind.
Actually I see pretty well. I was xian for 30+ years btw.
Quote:
I stand by what I typed. Sorry that it doesn't meet your approval. When you believe in Jesus, you become a child of God, special in that you are heir to God's kingdom along with all other believers.
I guess special needs folk need to feel special - I get it.
Quote:
Those that have not accepted Jesus, remain enemies of God. It is true that God loves you and wants you to be part of the family, but that means you have to accept Jesus, when you do, you will be special too. If you die without accepting Jesus, the same as rejecting Him, you will not spend eternity with God.
Been there done that and got the tee shirts. Wild assumptions get you nowhere.

Oh btw, spending eternity with American evangelicals will be my kinda hell so I will pass. Not that hell or heaven are real anyway.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
I actually like not spending time with God. There is absolutely nothing about the description of him that makes me want to spend time with him, even if he was real. I mean, it would be neat at first to see if he was going to do any magic tricks. But I wouldn't want to sit around all day worshiping him. That would be boring and suck.

Honestly, if I had to spend eternity worshiping somebody else, it would be a hell to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism