Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,653,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Have you ever wondered if theists(not all of them) are the fools?
I don't wonder, I know. Anyone who bases their entire life and worldview on blind faith in an unsubstantiated text, of which there are many, often contradicting each other, is a fool, regardless of the existence or nonexistence of a god. That is not to say that all theists are fools (I'm agnostic so I'm not about to jump to any conclusions or judgements), however it is a fitting title for those who blinker their outlook in order to force everything to fit in line with the teachings of their respective religious text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,837,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
I don't wonder, I know. Anyone who bases their entire life and worldview on blind faith in an unsubstantiated text, of which there are many, often contradicting each other, is a fool, regardless of the existence or nonexistence of a god. That is not to say that all theists are fools (I'm agnostic so I'm not about to jump to any conclusions or judgements), however it is a fitting title for those who blinker their outlook in order to force everything to fit in line with the teachings of their respective religious text.

The best reply is in the Quran 83: 29 - 36
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ أَجْرَمُوا كَانُواْ مِنَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا يَضْحَكُونَ . وَإِذَا مَرُّواْ بِهِمْ يَتَغَامَزُونَ . وَإِذَا انقَلَبُواْ إِلَى أَهْلِهِمُ انقَلَبُواْ فَكِهِينَ . وَإِذَا رَأَوْهُمْ قَالُوا إِنَّ هَؤُلَاء لَضَالُّونَ . وَمَا أُرْسِلُوا عَلَيْهِمْ حَافِظِينَ . فَالْيَوْمَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ مِنَ الْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ . عَلَى الْأَرَائِكِ يَنظُرُونَ . هَلْ ثُوِّبَ الْكُفَّارُ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

The explanation:

(Surely, the sinners used to laugh at the believers.

And whenever they passed by them, used to wink at each other [in mockery.]

And when they returned to their families, they returned blithely.

And when they saw them [in their way] they said [pointing to the believers], `These, indeed, are in manifest error.'

But they [: the disbelievers] were not sent as recorders over them [: over the believers; but infact there are the recording angels whose duty is to record their work and words.]

So this day [of Judgment, it is] the believers [who] do laugh at the unbelievers.

On couches, looking [to the trees, birds and palaces of Paradise.]

Have the unbelievers been rewarded for what [gifts, presents and sacrifices for their idols] they had worked [in the life of the World?] [No, they haven't. Actually they have been punished.])

Man after Death

Last edited by eanassir; 08-14-2009 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,787 times
I didn't know you guys would have couches....

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I didn't know you guys would have couches....
Yes, the chairs here are rather comfy aren't they (visions of Monty Python's 'Spanish Inquisition, "Cardinal Fang. Fetch....THE COMFY CHAIR!!" ) Mind you, they could do with a good A/C unit to deal with all the hot air that floating around here.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
Quote:

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ أَجْرَمُوا كَانُواْ مِنَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا يَضْحَكُونَ . وَإِذَا مَرُّواْ بِهِمْ يَتَغَامَزُونَ . وَإِذَا انقَلَبُواْ إِلَى أَهْلِهِمُ انقَلَبُواْ فَكِهِينَ . وَإِذَا رَأَوْهُمْ قَالُوا إِنَّ هَؤُلَاء لَضَالُّونَ . وَمَا أُرْسِلُوا عَلَيْهِمْ حَافِظِينَ . فَالْيَوْمَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ مِنَ الْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ . عَلَى الْأَرَائِكِ يَنظُرُونَ . هَلْ ثُوِّبَ الْكُفَّارُ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

The explanation:

And when they saw them [in their way] they said [pointing to the believers], `These, indeed, are in manifest error.'

But they [: the disbelievers] were not sent as recorders over them [: over the believers; but infact there are the recording angels whose duty is to record their work and words.]

So this day [of Judgment, it is] the believers [who] do laugh at the unbelievers.

Have the unbelievers been rewarded for what [gifts, presents and sacrifices for their idols] they had worked [in the life of the World?] [No, they haven't. Actually they have been punished.])

Man after Death
Scripture doesn't work with me. I believe in evidence.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,928,657 times
Red face "Before Your Eyes"??????? Is THAT what the Islamic Faith Teaches You? It's Wrong!

Quote:
I say to them: have you seen this evolution yourself? I mean: have you seen the species evolving before your eyes from species to another as do they claim?

eanassir; generally I give Muslims credit for holding to a somewhat more clear-headed scientific examination of the world around them than you demonstrate. They were, once, thousands of years ago, relative to the other tent-dwelling, dung-burning mythic-Gawd worshipping cultures around them, more advanced in their observations and understanding.

All this was transient, of course, because the Greeks, then the Romans, and then Western Europe, surpassed all of these desert cultures. For instance, Muslims never sailed the ocean's oceans as did the Norsemen, the Spanyards, the British, the Chineses and Japanese. They were, so to speak, sand-bound. And now, sand-headed! You prove it quite conclusively.

Once those enlightened European citizens threw off the robes of religious [Christian] terror and fear and endless, mindless suppression of knowledge, the Age of Enlightenment began. It resulted in adoption of the scientific process, for which there will be no end of useful results. The accumulation of knowledge is unstoppable, people are too curious, the results too valuable.

Given a dozen more generations, religion with it's worker-bee, drone-like adherance to ancient silly strictures and rote-spouted scripture, will be quite dead. Since it relies on uneducated people, it will hang on in the Middle East and in backwards, suppressed, warring cultures, but the West's technical advancement in medicine, war technology [sad but true], communications (web, satellite & cell phones), space travel, computers, genetic medicine and all the basic sciences is proof of the value of open-minded curiosity managed by a peer-reviewed, standardized Q&A process. The fact that Islam depends on the uneducated is no better proven than by your incredibly mindless quote about evolution.

As regards your quote above, which I highlighted in blue, Do you really, honestly and factually believe that's what any evolutionary biologist, any scientist has ever taught?

Truly, eanassir, is that how you think Evolution works? Do you actually think you should see a cat turn into a dog before your eyes, or a cow give birth to a coyote? Are you being honest with us, or are you lying for dramatic effect?

Do you have even the most basic understanding of DNA mutations? Do you even know what DNA is, how it's structured, and what processes lead to the mutations in it's structure that we can easily observe in any lab, any day, any time? Because once those mutations happen, the rest happens like clockwork. The logic is inescapable. Do you want to know the truth?

Please do answer me this specific question. Do you really believe that's how Evolution works? Before your eyes?

Because if you do not understand the basics about a technically complex subject, how on earth can you discredit it, unless you're simply doing the bidding of your spiritual masters. Which leads to another question?: is that how you deal with the world around you? In blind obedience to the thinking of others?

Therefore, man should beware, lest they should drag him to drown him with them.
Good quote, actually, but of course it certainly does not apply to the scientific world. If anyone has been dragged down, it would appear to be you, eanassir. To be so very wrong about the basis for life on this earth, to be so defensive of a completely incorrect interpretation of it, is to have not only been dragged down, but then to have been stomped on by the goats of ignorance.

My quote? "Dust is there to be left in"

Last edited by rifleman; 08-15-2009 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,405,358 times
Quote:
Quote:

The explanation:

Man after Death

Ya know what's more annoying than someone posting bible scriptures on the atheism forum.....hint.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,787 times
Islam has created a dark ages in the Arabic world. The fundementalist believe everything a person needs to know can be learned from the Koran. Consequently, there is no science coming from the middle east, and there are only a handful of scientific journals published in Arabic.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,758,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Islam has created a dark ages in the Arabic world. The fundementalist believe everything a person needs to know can be learned from the Koran. Consequently, there is no science coming from the middle east, and there are only a handful of scientific journals published in Arabic.
Which is a shame, because I understand that at one time the Arabic world was known as a center of learning in a primitive landscape.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Which is a shame, because I understand that at one time the Arabic world was known as a center of learning in a primitive landscape.
It certanly was and it one of the method by which much of the greek learning was preserved and passed onto the west, which had lost most of of it.

What do we get now? Koran -creationism and threats of a recording angel writing all our names in a little notebook for a hoped - for later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism