Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I've lived in Dallas and Atlanta and now live in boring old Indy. Dallas has no mall to compete with Lenox & Phipps. The North Park Center in Dallas is a poor representation of an upscale mall even though it is the most exclusive mall in the metro area.
PLEASE. i honestly do believe that both lenox and phipps are more architecturally appealing than northpark center, but there is no single mall in metro atlanta that is as upscale as northpark, nor do they have the world famous art exhibits showcased in the shopping center

Quote:
As far as neighborhoods, Atlanta wins again. Dallas is a flat,tree less city with homes on small lots. The city feels sterile and lacks character outside of Uptown. The Park Cities have nothing on Buckhead.
i wouldn't say that dallas has any less character than atlanta. they both have sterile, sprawling suburbs with interesting intown neighborhoods. atlanta definitely has dallas beat when it comes to natural beauty, but the idea that they aren't highly comparable in every other aspect is absolutely false. it's nobody's fault you never left plano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
I've lived in Dallas and Atlanta and now live in boring old Indy. Dallas has no mall to compete with Lenox & Phipps. The North Park Center in Dallas is a poor representation of an upscale mall even though it is the most exclusive mall in the metro area.

As far as neighborhoods, Atlanta wins again. Dallas is a flat,tree less city with homes on small lots. The city feels sterile and lacks character outside of Uptown. The Park Cities have nothing on Buckhead.
Wow this is totally a different opinion of Dallas than I have ever heard from anyone. There are not a lot of people walking around urban Dallas County in cowboy gear, sorry. You may see some tourists from the country but thats gonna be it. Fort Worth definitely has more of a western vibe than Dallas. NorthPark is the nicest mall I have ever been to. As for the neighborhood argument, Uptown Dallas has a much more hip urban vibe to it than anything I've seen in Atlanta, especially with the historic trolleys running on the streets, the shopping and rows of bars and restaurants. The Park Cities/Buckhead comparison is apples and oranges. The Park Cities are going to be more like Beverly Hills than Buckhead. You arent going to find Wendys, Waffle House, McDonalds driving through the Park Cities. Buckhead is an unusual mixture of things (Rols Royce dealership with Krystal across the street and a waffle house next door). Sorry but someone had to be honest.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 PM

468 posts, read 790,362 times
R1070 Buckhead is a city within itselfs live work play shop etc if u ever been to Beverly Hills u would see burger places like Mcdonalds in Beverly Hills and there is a wendys not far from it. No Atlanta doesn't have streets and streets of bars but there are pockets of it.. The entertainment in Atlanta I still better in my opinion.I understand you like Dallas more but everyone from Dallas is not going to have the same assessment that u have about Dallas.. And vice versa.. Yes Dallas has more boutiques but don't ever think Atlanta will be for behind. As the movies , media entertainment, buisness gets more widespread through city trust Atlanta is definately going to showcase....

Last edited by OMG2010; 07-09-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
R1070 Buckhead is a city within itselfs live work play shop etc if u ever been to Beverly u would see burger places like Mcdonalds in Beverly Hills and there is a wendys not far from it.. Someone needed to correct u and tell u the truth..
Well I'm glad you cleared that up. I guess the Park Cities are more exclusive than even Beverly Hills then.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well I'm glad you cleared that up. I guess the Park Cities are more exclusive than even Beverly Hills then.

Maybe it is but don't be surprised when u see one pop up every glitzy nieghborhood has some type of fast food joint. Even when I lived in Palm beach you saw them in the glitzy nieghborhoods...

Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
PLEASE. i honestly do believe that both lenox and phipps are more architecturally appealing than northpark center, but there is no single mall in metro atlanta that is as upscale as northpark, nor do they have the world famous art exhibits showcased in the shopping center

Clearly you and I have a different defintion of upscale. I do not consider J Crew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch and the likes as upscale. As you know, North Park is full of these type of stores. Phipps does not stoop to North Park's level. This quote sums it best, "The South has spoken and the word is Phipps Plaza is among the best of the South! Phipps Plaza - named a "Southern Best" in Southern Living magazine's Readers' Choice Awards."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i wouldn't say that dallas has any less character than atlanta. they both have sterile, sprawling suburbs with interesting intown neighborhoods. atlanta definitely has dallas beat when it comes to natural beauty, but the idea that they aren't highly comparable in every other aspect is absolutely false. it's nobody's fault you never left plano
Actually I lived in Uptown in the Residences of the Ritz Carlton.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Clearly you and I have a different defintion of upscale. I do not consider J Crew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch and the likes as upscale. As you know, North Park is full of these type of stores. Phipps does not stoop to North Park's level. This quote sums it best, "The South has spoken and the word is Phipps Plaza is among the best of the South! Phipps Plaza - named a "Southern Best" in Southern Living magazine's Readers' Choice Awards."
yeah you're right. barney's new york, nordstrom, neiman marcus, bvlgari, cartier, caroline herrera, cole haan, debeers, kate spade, louis vuitton, oscar de la renta, ralph lauren, salvatore ferragamo, versace, etc. these are just your average, run-of-the-mill discount retailers .

phipps plaza has less than half the size of retail floor space as northpark, and the only reason NP has more "non-exclusive" shops is because phipps shares them with lenox. they're practically northpark split in half. oh, and by the way, phipps only has a barneys new york CO-OP...northpark has the ACTUAL barneys

and don't forget that dallas has highland park village, the most exclusive shopping destination in the south outside of miami

Quote:
Actually I lived in Uptown in the Residences of the Ritz Carlton.
well you obviously didn't spend enough time around the city or else you wouldn't be saying it has no character

Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 PM

The Phipps/Lenox vs NorthPark Comparison is a little off because NorthPark Center is the size of Lenox and Phipps combined. Also, Highland Park Village is very high end. I think Galleria Dallas is more akin to what Lenox is. Phipps does have mostly higher end stores but also has Limited Too and perhaps a couple other mid ranged stores like Armani Exchange. Phipps is rarely busy though, perhaps they should mix up their tenant list some. NorthPark had a lot higher percentage of mid to high end stores and got a lot of complaints that the shopping options were not diverse enough, so they have opened other types of stores and it is very profitable. The mall is organized in sections with like stores being next to each other. The NorthPark people have done very well with this mall. The overall shopping experience there cannot be matched with the original art pieces throughout, the center park in the middle of the mall and the lack of kiosks and diverse store mixture.

Dallas is definitely the more fashion oriented of the two cities mentioned here. I don't understand why Atlanta posters get so defensive when a claim is made that another city offers or does something more than it does?? **Shrugs**

Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM

That person above u is getting defensive... I know dallas has more boutiques.. My defense is everyone isn't walking around everyday in Oscar del a renta.. Even the hip hop artist around Atlanta are into fashion Andre 3000 B.O.B.. Etc When I look at being a fashion forward city I look at stores high profile events and how people dress on a day to day bases.. They only defense you guys have to that is we have Dior and we are home to Nieman Marcus..so we are much more fashionable city. Clearly when u look around Dallas that's not what u see on a day to day bases.. Personally I like independent boutique shopping. And discount shopping Im a big energie, bloomies, zara, H&M nordstroms rack,club Monaco, metropark fan.. They can have the valentinos and Armani's.. I work in the entertainment industry so I'm always back and forth from LA Atl NYC and DC.. I'm always at high profile events and see fashion for what it is...

Last edited by OMG2010; 07-09-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
That person above u is getting defensive... I know dallas has more boutiques.. My defense is everyone isn't walking around everyday in Oscar del a renta.. Even the hip hop artist around Atlanta are into fashion Andre 3000 B.O.B.. Etc When I look at being a fashion forward city I look at stores high profile events and how people dress on a day to day bases.. They only defense you guys have to that is we have Dior and we are home to Nieman Marcus..so we are much more fashionable city. Clearly when u look around Dallas that's not what u see on a day to day bases.. Personally I like independent boutique shopping. And discount shopping Im a big energie, bloomies, zara, H&M nordstroms rack,club Monaco, metropark fan.. They can have the valentinos and Armani's.. I work in the entertainment industry so I'm always back and forth from LA Atl NYC and DC.. I'm always at high profile events and see fashion for what it is...
it depends where you are as whether or not you'll see it on a daily basis. if you spend most of your time in the west village, parts of downtown, lakewood, preston hollow, etc. then fashion will be all around you. but if you're mostly in arlington or mesquite, probably not as much. and it's the same way in atlanta, so let's not act like it isn't. just like dallas having more exclusive shopping doesn't make it more fashionable, atlanta having more celebrities doesn't make it more fashionable either. and dallas also has a lot of independent boutiques as well. they don't call it a fashion capital for nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta