Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 AM

13 posts, read 47,543 times

Advertisements

I know you all have heard and read this thread before but like most ppl on here I am moving to Georgia in two years and could be sooner than that if I find someone to move with me. I am supposed to be moving with a friend of mine but she is not moving for another 2 years. She has family and friends in Stone Mountain so thats where she will be looking to go. Me; I've done some research and have came to the conclusion that Stone Mountain isn't such a good area. I am a young mother of 3 (6,3 and 2 months currrently) so of course I want a place that kid friendly, safe to play outside and just a friendly environment. I have a friend who used to live in Roswell and she says that that is a farily good place. And another friend who lives in Lawrenceville, but I hear that Lawrenceville is about 40 miles or so from Atlanta. Not that I want to be in the center of it all anyway....So let me start of by saying that my budget varies right now because I have yet to find a job in Atlanta but I can say that I am looking for more "bang for my buck." LOL! I live in Maryland right now and I have a section 8 voucher so I'm hoping that it will help me find something nice when I come because it is transferable. I am looking for a townhouse preferably. Only because with me moving and with children I would feel safer connected to other people and not in a house far from others in a secluded location. I work in a hospital now so I am hoping maybe to get a job in a hospital or health like setting there and I would like my commute to and from work to be no longer than 40 minutes. Public or private transportation doesn't matter. I would prefer that the neighborhood be a diverse mix of people just not the ghetto. I am a black female and have lived in the ghetto before so I can say that by ghetto I mean people hanging out all times of the night, bumping their systems or comparing their rims, lol. Easy access to public transporation, hospitals, shopping is a definite plus. So just to sum it up, budget probably under 1400 a month (renting), house or townhouse so long as not secluded and close to things. Also just to give some hindsight, I've had some areas that keep sticking in my head so some of you who are very familar with Atlanta can let me know if these areas should keep sticking in my head or forget about it. They are Decatur (which I heard was nice), Roswell, Norcross and Newnam. Please give me some serious opinions and don't hold back.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 AM

126 posts, read 318,368 times
Try Sandy Springs. Its at the north end of the Red MARTA Line, there are a good amount of townhomes, and its a pretty good (non-ghetto) area.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 AM

416 posts, read 1,091,658 times
Why does everyone slam Stone Mountain???!?!?!
It is a SUBURB, not ghetto ! ! ! ! (affordable/lower-middle class suburb) Look around at the character of development, style of houses, layout of the neighborhoods. Does it LOOK Ghetto? Are these people in these nice looking houses smoking crack, pimping, or dealing drugs? NO ! (well maybe very few)
Ok, I am going to come out and say it. Do people say this about Stone Mountain because it is 99% black? That statistic alone does NOT define a ghetto. Everyone on this forum can name areas of Atlanta that are predominantly black and in fact ARE ghettos, and the SUBURB of Stone Mountain is NOT.
Again, look around in Stone Mountain and see if it meets the definition of ghetto you have stated above.
Please do not get offended, but I would define being on Section 8, as one ghetto characteristic. So this does NOT give you the right to look down on Stone Mountain.
However rents are very affordable in S.M. and you could probably find a palacial 6 bedroom 4 bath house for $ 1400, or a brand new townhome with amenities in that price range. You could also get something very nice in the northern suburbs like Marietta, Norcross, etc. in that price range.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 PM

281 posts, read 618,163 times
Since you asked people to read your post and give input I would like to ask you why you feel justified asking the government to take money from working families to pay to support you and your irresponsible choices. My wife and I would like to have a third child but realize that raising a child and paying for their college is an expensive proposition and have decided to stick with two kids. We both make six-figure incomes. You don't even mention a husband or father for any of your three kids. Please stay in Maryland. We have enough leeches here in Georgia. Also, research birth control.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,267,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Since you asked people to read your post and give input I would like to ask you why you feel justified asking the government to take money from working families to pay to support you and your irresponsible choices. My wife and I would like to have a third child but realize that raising a child and paying for their college is an expensive proposition and have decided to stick with two kids. We both make six-figure incomes. You don't even mention a husband or father for any of your three kids. Please stay in Maryland. We have enough leeches here in Georgia. Also, research birth control.
Go put some Vagisil on it and get back to work.

....self-righteous....arrogant....presumptuous....self-pitying....whining...self-absorbed...let me count the ways this troll fits into the ******* stereotype...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM

You can't attack my message so you are forced to attack me. What part of my response do you disagree with? And what stereotype do I fit into? Hopefully the personal responsibility stereotype.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 PM

304 posts, read 857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Go put some Vagisil on it and get back to work.

....self-righteous....arrogant....presumptuous....self-pitying....whining...self-absorbed...let me count the ways this troll fits into the ******* stereotype...
well said!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,267,910 times
Nowadays "personal responsibility" is a code phrase for "I'm a whiny, narcissistic ****er!"

...now where's that Vagisil.....*looks around*...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM

So I guess you feel she it is fine and dandy to have all the kids you want out of wedlock and then turn around and ask for the government to support you with money taken from other peoples paycheck?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM

416 posts, read 1,091,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
I gave you reputation points for that comment.
I dont understand why these defenders of the lazy/welfare recipients are attacking you. So they criticize anyone who does not congratulate those on section 8?? WHo pays for this?? Is there no shame in being on public assistance??? Do you walk about with your head held high carrying your food stamps?? If this is appropriate living, then what happens when half the nation is on welfare and in prison. In reality, . . . ROME crumbled from inside, and that is where we are headed with this type of thinking and lifestyle.
The middle class is sick of paying taxes to support the lazy, AND wasting our tax dollars to imprison the next generation of criminals.
THere is NO OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH, where you have such a great chance to improve your life, and maybe even get rich, . . . . with a bit of hard work.
So get off your butt, because it is worse in ANY OTHER COUNTRY !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta