Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,436,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
So I guess you feel she it is fine and dandy to have all the kids you want out of wedlock and then turn around and ask for the government to support you with money taken from other peoples paycheck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I gave you reputation points for that comment.
I dont understand why these defenders of the lazy/welfare recipients are attacking you. So they criticize anyone who does not congratulate those on section 8?? WHo pays for this?? Is there no shame in being on public assistance??? Do you walk about with your head held high carrying your food stamps?? If this is appropriate living, then what happens when half the nation is on welfare and in prison. In reality, . . . ROME crumbled from inside, and that is where we are headed with this type of thinking and lifestyle.
The middle class is sick of paying taxes to support the lazy, AND wasting our tax dollars to imprison the next generation of criminals.
THere is NO OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH, where you have such a great chance to improve your life, and maybe even get rich, . . . . with a bit of hard work.
So get off your butt, because it is worse in ANY OTHER COUNTRY !

While I don't disagree with you two (in theory, as much as the others may get mad, you both have very valid points, but they're not applicable in this thread. It's not a debate about section/welfare/projects etc), the OP just wants someone to point her to an area where she can live with her kids, that is not too run down (i.e ghetto).

And to the OP, all the exclamation marks were not necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the thread was about something very important that you wanted to share with the rest of us.

To answer your question, where will you be working? Make sure to find a job first, then take it from there. Make sure you also have a car, even if you plan on taking the bus/train to get around. Any area close to the Metro area can work. (College Park, Clayton etc). They both have public transportation that may make it work.

Best of luck!!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM

156 posts, read 434,406 times
First, to be constructive...Be careful with Clayton if transportation is critical. Their system is in trouble. You also must have a job lined up first.

Now, to complain...great, just what we need more section 8 people with a bunch of kids and no father moving here. Why do we keep attracting so much of this in Atlanta? Read the other city forums - you very rarely such activity.

I agree with elvez. I'm so sick of working my tail off, sacrificing to do what's best for the long term, living within my means, but having to support these people who make poor decisions, have no respect for themselves or others (not clear whether the OP falls in this category or not, but 3 kids certainly says a lot), and take no responsibility.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
First, to be constructive...Be careful with Clayton if transportation is critical. Their system is in trouble. You also must have a job lined up first.

Now, to complain...great, just what we need more section 8 people with a bunch of kids and no father moving here. Why do we keep attracting so much of this in Atlanta? Read the other city forums - you very rarely such activity.

I agree with elvez. I'm so sick of working my tail off, sacrificing to do what's best for the long term, living within my means, but having to support these people who make poor decisions, have no respect for themselves or others (not clear whether the OP falls in this category or not, but 3 kids certainly says a lot), and take no responsibility.

I'm with you guys on this one (although this thread is not about section 8 issues).

I must give it to you....how you transitioned from constructive to "now to complain"....lol.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Go put some Vagisil on it and get back to work.

....self-righteous....arrogant....presumptuous....self-pitying....whining...self-absorbed...let me count the ways this troll fits into the ******* stereotype...

It seems to me that you're the self-righteous one!

What kind of society have we built where it's supposed to be perfectly acceptable for someone to say that they are a single mom, no mention of any fathers for the children, and then say, in a cavalier manner, that they have a Section 8 voucher?

As far as what Elves said, he's paying for her kids' housing, so he has a right to say what he thinks. Personally, I agree with him, whole-heartedly. I'm sick of women using government assistance (my tax money) to support their children -- their decisions to have more kids! And I'm particularly sick and tired of this attitude out there, like the kind that you project, that this is perfectly O.k.. None of us should have a problem with it. If we do, there's something the matter with us -- not with the people who keep having kids they cannot afford to support.

And I'm sick of people like you propogating the attitude that this is just fine and dandy and that those of us whose tax dollars support these kids should not complain, lest we be called self-righteous.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthegateway View Post
It seems to me that you're the self-righteous one!

What kind of society have we built where it's supposed to be perfectly acceptable for someone to say that they are a single mom, no mention of any fathers for the children, and then say, in a cavalier manner, that they have a Section 8 voucher?

As far as what Elves said, he's paying for her kids' housing, so he has a right to say what he thinks. Personally, I agree with him, whole-heartedly. I'm sick of women using government assistance (my tax money) to support their children -- their decisions to have more kids! And I'm particularly sick and tired of this attitude out there, like the kind that you project, that this is perfectly O.k.. None of us should have a problem with it. If we do, there's something the matter with us -- not with the people who keep having kids they cannot afford to support.

And I'm sick of people like you propogating the attitude that this is just fine and dandy and that those of us whose tax dollars support these kids should not complain, lest we be called self-righteous.

Again, I'm with you guys on this, however she wants a place to live, not to see if we agree with section 8/entitlement programs.

Usually Elvez's posts tend to be on the racist side, however this time, he has a point. BUT again, it's not the issue here.

Your post is 100% sensible (you're right), just not in this thread.

Please people, let's not use this thread to vent our frustrations about the system, and those abusing it. (I'm starting to sound like a mod..)

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 47,588 times
Let me get this straight, I ask for advice and I get criticized for asking. For those of you that talked down on me and my children, you don't know me nor anything about me. Just because someone gets help does not make them lazy and does not mean that they do not work. Its better to get help if you need it rather than struggle when you dont have it. The help is there for a reason. Second of all I take care of my children, I work a full time job making $1900 a month which is more than most can say. So I don't sit on my ass, "leeching" or taking the states money. I may be on section 8 but I still pay $700 a month for a $900. It makes me sick when ppl think they can talk about others and know nothing about that person or what they go through. I have never been to Stone Mountain but this what the majority of ppl were saying on here about it. I was looking out for my children for the simple fact they look up to me for their safety. I can see for myself if the housing ads that Stone Mountain in fact has nice homes but what I was saying was that because the homes are nice doesn't mean the surroundings are too and I was basically asking somene who was familiar with the area and that wasn't ignorant like the reply that was posted, to be honest with me.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 47,588 times
And another thing for the ones who mentioned my childrens father, yes, they all have the same father and he passed away so its not like I have or had any help, at one point I did and now I don't. I just cannot belive the nerve of some ppl. Thats why the world is like it now.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 PM

I was asking myself where you went. For a second I thought someone started this thread to get people talking/going mad about the issue.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

Where will you be working? (As in area?) Try not to live too far from work. It will save you time, money and gas. Traffic here is pretty heavy (very close to NYC, LA & DC heavy).
Do you have family here? I think having family and friends helps when new to any area.
Will you be using public transportation, driving or using both? Again, if you're working close to the city, try finding a place close to it.

I'd also try to take a trip here first. See if you like it, if it works for you and your family. Always a must do. Check the areas first, before moving. Try securing employment too. Don't come without work.

(I'm also curious, why did you bother mentioning section 8, knowing there might be a chance of backlash from some people? That's your business, not ours. That's why I got suspicious at first. Why would someone mention it? You must not know City-Data posters too well..)

Anyways, good luck.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:39 AM

281 posts, read 618,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrieson View Post
And another thing for the ones who mentioned my childrens father, yes, they all have the same father and he passed away so its not like I have or had any help, at one point I did and now I don't. I just cannot belive the nerve of some ppl. Thats why the world is like it now.
Perhaps I was a bit quick to judge, although I still feel like taking government assistance should be an absolute last resort. I am sorry that the father of your children passed away, but with three kids he really should have had a lot of life insurance. Anyway, I would think moving down here and trying to raise three kids without any family support would be awfully tough. My wife and I have two kids and they drive us crazy at times. If you have any family or good friends in Maryland I would probably stay there. Do you already have a job lined up here in Atlanta? If not, you would have to be crazy to move here right now. Especially if you already have a job there. One of the rules my parents taught me is to never leave a job unless you have another one lined up.
I would avoid the Dekalb County school system in general. I don't know if it is possible with your income, but your best bet is the City of Decatur school system and trying to get job at Dekalb Medical. There is not a lot of affordable housing in the City of Decatur, but I imagine they have some pretty good assistance programs. Dekalb Medical is a nearby hospital and they are usually hiring, but it would pay to have a specialized job skill like radiology. Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,532,039 times
[quote=elvez;13892126]Perhaps I was a bit quick to judge, although I still feel like taking government assistance should be an absolute last resort. I am sorry that the father of your children passed away, but with three kids he really should have had a lot of life insurance. Anyway, I would think moving down here and trying to raise three kids without any family support would be awfully tough. My wife and I have two kids and they drive us crazy at times. If you have any family or good friends in Maryland I would probably stay there. Do you already have a job lined up here in Atlanta? If not, you would have to be crazy to move here right now. Especially if you already have a job there. One of the rules my parents taught me is to never leave a job unless you have another one lined up.
I would avoid the Dekalb County school system in general. I don't know if it is possible with your income, but your best bet is the City of Decatur school system and trying to get job at Dekalb Medical. There is not a lot of affordable housing in the City of Decatur, but I imagine they have some pretty good assistance programs. Dekalb Medical is a nearby hospital and they are usually hiring, but it would pay to have a specialized job skill like radiology. Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Things are pretty bad in DeKalb County at present and the reports from other counties don't sound much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta