Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 AM

53 posts, read 285,409 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have been reading in this board for a while as I have recently moved back to GA from overseas after 25 years and now need some help and information. I work in Norcross at the time and am looking for a place to live with my family and my cats that is affordable and safe and has good schools. I have been looking all around but either the apartments take no pets or not more than two or it is a crappy neighborhood or the schools just suck. If anybody has some good ideas I am all open ears. I am thinking of maybe trying to buy a house as this might even be easier although I have no credit history. Today we are going to take a look at Conyers after having been to Woodstock yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
What about renting a house in Norcross or Duluth or Peachtree Corners instead of looking at apartment complexes? Look on Craigslist. I'm sure you'll find more that allow pets and you'll also get more space for your family.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Thx for the reply. I have actually started looking on Craigslist for homes for rent, but how do I know that the vicinity is a nice one if the home is cheap? Most homes are over my budget, more expensive than an apartment. Then again, my friend for example tells me you don't wana live in Stome Mountain where I have seen some not to expensive homes for rent. A colleague tells me ya need to live in Alpharetta which is very expensive for my starting out. So even if there are good deals to be found, how do I know that I really would want to live there? Also, I have even had homes for rent ads with no pets allowed. Didn't actually think this would all be this hard to get going.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:19 PM

If you are working in Norcross, I'd look around there and up towards Duluth. Alpharetta is nice too and you can take back roads to get to Norcross. Same thing goes with Roswell. I'd stay away from Woodstock only because it seems too far. Stone Mountain can be very sketchy in areas.
Sounds like you're here...so the best thing to do is look on Craigslist and drive around at some of the places, then go back at night.
Ask the owner of the home what the school district is and then post back so you can get feedback. I have a friend who sends her children to ShakeRag Elementary and loves it. That's in Duluth up by McGinnis Ferry Road. Beautiful area.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info. My office is in Norcross, but I have to drive all over Atlanta up to Gainesville and even out of town / state so the commute isn't that much of the problem. I do not like city living but prefer more rural areas which is why Woodstock seemed very nice, but I can't afford that at the moment as I am just starting out. That seems to be the biggest problem, getting the foot in the door. I can work more any time to earn more, but for starters I need to go with what I have. I'll just keep posting here with what I find in the hope of getting more information as I go along. Thanks very much so far.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM

What is your budget for a rental and how many bedrooms are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Have you looked in Suwanee or Buford? These are also good choices and because they're a bit further from Atlanta you can probably get more for your money. Just another thought...

Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 PM

We're looking for 2 BR and to be honest, under $700 or better $600 would be great for starting out I have indeed looked at Buford and have been thinking of Suwanee but not as intensive as I probably should have. What would some vicinities actually be where one doesn't want to live? Like I heard that Gainesville has a high crime rate and Clarkston doesn't have good schools, so I am not looking there. Anything else to not go to?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Hopefully some other posters will respond with ideas. Your budget is low for a 2 BR in a nice area. Have you also checked out Rent.com?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Yeah I know the budget IS low. I am hoping on finding a good deal where I can save the first month's rent maybe. After I am in I can like I said always work longer hours to earn what I need, but getting in seems to be the problem (all the deposits and stuff). I have indeed looked at rent.com among other internet sites and even been to promove, but no luck yet finding the 'right place'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta