Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM

90 posts, read 285,036 times

Advertisements

Okay, not really a smackdown, but I'm looking for a comparison between these two. Some things I'd love to get your perspective on:

- Commute time to Midtown
- Type of people that live there (hippies, accountants, etc.)
- School quality (both good, but good in different ways?)
- Racial diversity
- Urban vs. suburban feel
- Crime
- Anything else you'd like to add

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
Okay, not really a smackdown, but I'm looking for a comparison between these two. Some things I'd love to get your perspective on:

- Commute time to Midtown
- Type of people that live there (hippies, accountants, etc.)
- School quality (both good, but good in different ways?)
- Racial diversity
- Urban vs. suburban feel
- Crime
- Anything else you'd like to add

Thank you!
It would be a lot easier to point out their similarities than their differences...Decatur and CP are rather like fraternal twin sisters IMO.
Having said that, the obvious difference is that Decatur is its' own city and has its' own school system. It's one reason I chose Decatur...I liked that it was in control of its' own destiny and not subject to the whims of Atlanta city or DeKalb County government.
Demographically, they are very similar...admittedly, they are both overwhelmingly white.
Candler Park is a little newer to the gentrification game, but catching up rapidly to Decatur...the reason for this was the prospect years ago of Freedom Parkway bisecting the neighborhood. Homeowners were reluctant to make improvements to their homes until they were sure of CP's destiny. I remember the day after the FP extention was defeated, sales in the area's hardware, home improvement and nursery stores went through the ceiling!
Politically, I would say both neighborhoods are decidedly blue, and Emory U. has a marked influence on both of them as well.
Both have great schools and low crime, although Decatur might have a bit of an edge here (Their PD is terrific).
Candler Park is closer to midtown, but neither neighborhood is a bad commute. I take back roads and can be there in 15-20 minutes.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM

145 posts, read 598,040 times
Not the easiest of 2 places to compare and this is why...

Decatur is an entire city comprised of multiple neighborhoods (Oakhurst, Winnona Park, Chelsea Heights, etc), and Candler Park is a much smaller neighborhood in Atlanta.

I'm sure some will try though.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Yeah, I live in Candler Park and the only real difference is perhaps a bit more of the houses-close-together-built-at-the-turn-of-the-century thing is going on.

The things I ultimately like about CP over Decatur, and I am not knocking Decatur at all and like Decatur a lot, is CP has it's own really wonderful park...really, it's a fantastic park. And we have Little 5 Points. I like that a lot.

The commute to Midtown for CP is a little shorter, too. In both Decatur and CP you can take MARTA.

Both are great for families.

LovinD is right about the politics - not only the blueness, but since Decatur is it's own town you probably have more local control. At least theoretically....

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Dave makes a good point.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM

90 posts, read 285,036 times
Wow, you guys are fast! Dang.

Dave--that's a good point. I'm only familiar with downtown Decatur, Winnona Park and Oakhurst. Maybe a Decatur neighborhood breakdown is in another thread here? I'll do a search.

LovinD--the autonomy is definitely attractive. Especially when you're paying super-high taxes!

Question for Decaturites--I read that Winnona Park has a commercial strip w/shops & restaurants...where is this?

pless--your username makes me want to move to CP immediately! :-) Can you tell me a bit more about the park? We went to the playground and it was very nice, had a good feeling to it. Saw tennis courts, a pool, and of course the golf course. I think I missed a big chunk of it, though, right? My friend who lives in Grant Park has informed me that he lives by a "real" park. Kinda snobby, don'tcha think?

How about safety? Can I walk my dog at night in both places?

Looking at houses, it seems like you get more space for your $$$ in Decatur (again, sorry to lump it all into one 'hood). Would you guys agree?

One last one for you guys (punishment for being so helpful): what's diversity/racial breakdown like for the schools?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
Quote:
Looking at houses, it seems like you get more space for your $$$ in Decatur (again, sorry to lump it all into one 'hood). Would you guys agree?
I don't know if I would agree with that. Remember, just because a house says it is in "Decatur" does not mean it is really in the City of Decatur. Most houses that call themselves "Decatur" are really in unincorporated DeKalb county. Generally if it has a 30030 zip then it is really in Decatur.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM

The Candler Park (talking actual parks here not the hoods) is not as large as Grant Park. Grant Park has the zoo. Grant Park is, I believe, the oldest city park and it is a nice park.

But Candler Park does NOT have the zoo....so you don't get zoo-goers. It does have a 9-hole golf course (walk only). The pool is currently being renovated so I don't know when it will be available but you can join the pool for the summer (something like $250) and they have certain hours when it's members' only.

There's also PATH, which goes through the north end of the park and connects Candler Park with Freedom Park and Inman Park.

And there's the tennis and basketball courts.

And the big field is a soccer field. It's listed in AYSA but I don't think theyr'e using ityet. It was re-sodded last year.

Lastly, Candler Park has some great festivals in it - FallFest, Pet Parade, Sweetwater Festival, MusicFest.

Besides Candler Park, there's Iverson Park and Lake Claire Park. Both are smaller but good places in the neighborhood to bring kids and dogs. Iverson Park used to be were Mary Lin was located. Then it burned down and they moved it to Candler Park Drive, next to Candler Park. The old site became Iverson Park.

I don't know about Grant Park but you can definitely walk your dog at night in Candler Park (probably Grant Park, too). People are always out doing that.

I wouldn't advise a woman to go jogging by herself at night...but then I wouldn't advise her to do that anywhere but in total isolation...

Money wise, you have more options in Decatur because it's bigger and has several neighborhoods. CP is one neighborhoood with one distinct style (turn of the century). Decatur has that, plus post-modern, post-war, 50s ranch, 70s split-level.

End of the day I say you can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Dave--that's a good point. I'm only familiar with downtown Decatur, Winnona Park and Oakhurst. Maybe a Decatur neighborhood breakdown is in another thread here? I'll do a search.

Other Decatur neighborhoods:

Clairemont-Great Lakes
Glennwood
MAK (McDonough-Adams-King's Highway)
Chelsea Heights
Lamont-Vidal Dr
Garden Lane
Westchester

LovinD--the autonomy is definitely attractive. Especially when you're paying super-high taxes!
Oh, and they are high...however, you get surprisingly few complaints from locals because they feel they get a lot for it. One reason for the high taxes is the lack of large commercial and industrial development within the city limits.

Question for Decaturites--I read that Winnona Park has a commercial strip w/shops & restaurants...where is this? I'm not aware of it, unless they're referring to the East College Avenue strip (which has some cool establishments).

How about safety? Can I walk my dog at night in both places?
Decatur is Doggie (and Kitty) Heaven.
Hope this sums it up

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

The things I ultimately like about CP over Decatur, and I am not knocking Decatur at all and like Decatur a lot, is CP has it's own really wonderful park...really, it's a fantastic park.
Hey, pless, we have several parks: McKoy, Glennwood, Ebster and many more scattered throughout the city. And we have our own rec center and we have a botanical garden (Woodlands).
Oooo, this might turn into a smackdown after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta