Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:58 PM

28 posts, read 205,285 times

Advertisements

Okay, another question for you Atlanta posters. What would you say are the pros and cons of living within the city, as opposed to the suburbs? Traffic is obviously horrible if you live outside the city, so my assumption would be that people prefer the suburbs because cost-of-living is too high in the city itself, but from what I've seen with home prices that doesn't really seem to be the case. It looks like you can get a decent house for $150K or a little more within the city, which is unheard of in Chicago. Am I missing something? We're in our 20s - no kids, so schools don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 05:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
For that price range, you probably aren't going to be in a very nice area. (unless you are talking condos). You woule be urban pioneers. If that suits you, then certainly consider it. You may not have many homeowners as neighbors, but renters and absentee landlords. Investigate carefully.

I spent a big chunk of one year (many years ago) in many city neighborhoods. Slumlords were common and while the city occassionally cracks down, it never seems to go very far.

People prefer the suburbs for lots of reasons -- the schools, the amentities, the jobs (more people work at Perimeter Center area then downtown), the comparable lack of hard core crime and more.

Some parts of the Atlanta haven't appreciated very much and gentrification seems a long way off. Even Grant Park still has rough edges and it has been gentrifying for nearly 15 years.

e

Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 160,779 times
i would rather live in the downtown area in a condo, close to amenities, the Atlanta suburbs have lots of crimes towards newbies, you would be safer probably in the downtown area until you know the area. I would rent a property for the first 12 months so you are not stuck in an area you don't like.

Hope I have helped

Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,794 times
There are many areas of Atlanta that are considered inner ring suburbs or intown neighborhoods that are beautiful and you can find a house for around your price, maybe 200 for something nicer. East Point, College Park, Avondale Estates, Hapeville, Chamblee, Doraville, etc. are each incorporated cities but close in to Atlanta and inside 285. Some people like to say these are 'wastelands' or ghetto or dangerous, but as you probably know there are nice areas and not so nice areas in any city, and these are no exception. I live in East Point in a historic district where restored 1920's-30's houses go for around 150,000 on the lower end up to 300,000 or higher. Decatur, Vinings, and other areas are also in this category within 285 but housing prices are not as favorable.

As far as intown neighborhoods go, you wouldn't find too many places that are inhabitable for 150,000...even in a 'urban pioneering' area. Grant Park is fabulous and has the largest number of restored homes in the city, all built around the park (Grant Park). That area is very desirable, but much higher priced than 150. There are a lot of great spots in Atlanta and you still might find something at that price in an area that is not 'discovered' yet. Most areas have been discovered, but I know I just learned about one called Home Park over near GaTech and Atlantic Station, around Northside Dr. It still looked a little shady in spots but there nice homes there and they weren't all that overpriced...but that was over a year ago so who knows...It really just takes searching and searching, and not listening to people talk about the crime-ridden run-down areas...because sometimes you find a large overlooked neighborhood that will really surprise you...

Old 02-18-2007, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,335 times
One of the main advantages of living inside the perimeter is staying off the interstates which can be brutal. That said, there is still plenty of in town traffic (which will only get worse as they continue to overbuild condos and lofts), but you have the option of taking MARTA (assuming you living close to a station) which I have been doing. I live two blocks from a MARTA station in the Kirkwood area of Atlanta. Most houses in the area are 200K and up (I bought my 2/1 two years ago for 170K and was appraised at 195K this year). There are some "fixer uppers" but as others have said you will be an urban pioneer. And how do you feel about "bass cars"? There is a LOT of intrusive bass in and around Atlanta (and probably in the burbs as well). That, coupled with motorcycles and "hogs," is enough to keep anyone from moving to Atlanta. I'm sure other cities have their share of noise pollution, but it is the utter lack of concern by law enforcement here that makes it so annoying (and the shear contempt of the offenders who have NO regard for anyone else). The city has plenty of night life (great restaurants), cultural events (the High Museum, Atlanta Symphony, Fox Theater), and higher education (Emory, Tech, State), but for me the city doesn't seem to "gel." It feels like a loose collection of city "things" but lacks a unifying "spirit" for lack of a better word. For what's it's worth, I grew up in south Georgia and have been living in Atlanta for 11 years. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM

28 posts, read 205,285 times
Thanks to all for the information, that's helpful. I'll be visiting soon.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,529 times
Default ITP (Inside the permiter)

Inside the perimeter housing prices vary by neighborhood location. Single family houses in the SE gentrifying neighborhoods south of I-20 range for a complete rehab starting about 150K to rehabed at $300K. The rehabed neighborhoods north of I-20 or NE and NW tear downs start around 300K and new infill starts around $750K. 1/1 Condos ITP can be had starting around 150K but most start at $250K. Atlanta isn't much different with a range from the near north side of Wrigley Field or Lincoln Park to the lower prices in the west Garfield Park and the Vincense area on the near south side. The bottom line, you're dreaming if you think you can live in a nice neighborhood and nice house or condo for less than $350K. Anyhow, the suburbs have all the kids so your teaching field would work much better OTP
I like Georgia

Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 PM

My neighborhood is a "nice" neighborhood and I live in a "nice" house that didn't cost anywhere near 350,000. It is possible, but you have to look in areas that aren't always the most popular...which doesn't mean they aren't nice areas, but just haven't caught the eye of the masses as of yet. Actually I prefer an area that isn't overly popular. You get a stable community with low volume traffic and little if any construction nearby...and a nice house on top of it.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
I wouldn't consider Home Park to be undiscovered. It's just your typical student ghetto so it's a little run down but it has a relatively low crime rate (mostly property crime). It's not really low income (unless you consider students to be low income) so it wouldn't really gentrify, but it could get a little nicer if some non students start moving in. As long as you have a high percentage of students though it's always going to look a little run down.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I was going back a year or maybe even 2 years in saying that Home Park was still relatively unknown. I had never heard of it and I'm fairly up on neighborhoods in the city. My friend's house there was very nice, but you're right the streets around it were just not very well kept. I didn't realize that Bankhead Hwy borders Home Park on one side. That's not a name people want associated with their neighborhood I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta