Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,515 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I live in the city, and I plan on buying my first home in the city. I have been reading some of the comments here--both good and bad--and I would like to hear opinions from persons who actually live in the city, rather than those who merely commute to Atlanta for various reasons. For you city dwellers, what made you decide to live within the city limits? What are are the advantages and disadvantages of living in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
I live in the City Proper and LOVE it!

Here are a few tips:

Don't base your judgements on the city on what some posters say here. Many of them don't live in the city and don't realize it's complex dynamic of crazy and laid back.

If you are from a small town, then be ready to see some seriously weird stuff you aren't used to. Think along the lines of Baton Bob, Bicycle shorts man, "not so female" prostitutes, and other random weird -ish you can never be prepared for. While this might sound disconcerting, it also means there is never a dull moment in the city.

If you are from a big city outside of the South, don't assume that just because Atlanta is physically in the south it is some hick town full of ignorant yokels. This is the city, it is cosmopolitan and fast paced. Assuming that the residents are lower than you is the fastest path to getting yourself in trouble.

Enjoy yourself. I can't remember the last time there was something going on the city. From festivals, to fairs, art exhibits, film showings, theatre, live music shows, underground poetry slams, etc. Take full advantage of everything this city has to offer and you will be superbly happy.

Though it might sound odd, take a tour of each neighborhood (at least as many as you can). Each one is different and has it's own vibe and even culture.

I hope you find life ITP style as fulfilling as I do.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
When I'm here, I reside in the Castleberry Hill Historic Distric. I love it. It's never a dead spot. I wish there were a bit more amenities in the area, but it's nice. I would like to see more mom and pop stores (most are, but more would be nice), a few more restaurants (to increase variety) and a tad bit more activity. I guess I wish it were more congested, as weird as it seems. It's very nice though. I am sure I will miss it once we find our house in the suburbs.

We're looking to move to the suburbs sometime mid next year. We go look around with our realtor from time to time, but I'd rather relax when I'm here, and overall Castleberry Hill has what I would want, if I were to live here permanently.

I wish I could find a nice area with enough space (for my cars, bikes, and kids' yard space to play) in the city proper, but will have to settle for the burbs soon.

If I had no kids, and hobbies that required less space, I'd stay here. My wife loves it as well, but she's a real suburban girl. The lofts are beautiful, and the neighborhood is something to look into, if you can do it, by all means do so.

Again, when I'm here, I mostly relax with my wife. I don't deal with commuting/morning traffic, and other issues some people have, so my case may be somewhat unique. I hope others can chyme in.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Again, when I'm here, I mostly relax with my wife. I don't deal with commuting/morning traffic, and other issues some people have, so my case may be somewhat unique. I hope others can chyme in.
Same here. My morning commute: Walk to Buckhead Station. Get on the train. Listen to my iPod, read the news. Point and laugh at the people stuck on the Downtown Connector before I head into the Midtown subway tunnel. Get off at Arts Center. 20 mins total.

Goes about the same in the afternoon, just more crowded on the train.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
I'm also a City/ITP resident and I wouldnt trade it for anything!

Door to Door commute from my townhome on Marta Rail from Ashby Station to my office downtown near Five Points Station 15 minutes MAX! That includes walking to the station waiting for the train and walking to my office. Since I moved to my current location I have put no more than 3000 miles on my car per year and can really ditch it If need be since I live directly on the Train Line. Less than 5 minutes to the heart of downtown, 10 minutes to Midtown and 15 minutes to Buckhead so I can enjoy all the amenities in the city within superb distance via train/car/cab/by foot. If you pick the right intown areas you will be just fine!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,515 times
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I grew up in Atlanta but left for seven years after college. My fiance and I decided to move from Dallas, TX back to Atlanta, I am adamantly against living in the suburbs. I keep trying to tell him that Buford and Duluth are not that close to Atlanta, nor are they all that they are cracked up to be. I hope that your comments will convince him of the merits of living in A-town.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
I live in Midtown, near the High museum and Piedmont park and I love it. It's so close to the fun stuff to do and so much of it is walkable. Good luck on your move. Maybe you need to bring the fiance up for a visit before you move so you can show him.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Point and laugh at the people stuck on the Downtown Connector before I head into the Midtown subway tunnel..
ITP Snob!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I live in Midtown, near the High museum and Piedmont park and I love it. It's so close to the fun stuff to do and so much of it is walkable. Good luck on your move. Maybe you need to bring the fiance up for a visit before you move so you can show him.
Yes, that's good advice. Bring him here, and show him different areas you would look into.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I live in Midtown and I think it's great. I was born and raised in the suburbs and lived for a while in downtown Boston. Midtown is a great mix between the two. It is city living with a suburban feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta