Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times

Advertisements

I think you're confusing the definition of the word "event". Here, I am using the definition from probability theory. However, I acknowledge that it gets to be cumbersome regarding infinity.

All in all, I would tend to agree that the probability that other life ever came into contact with our life is small. But once it did, the amount of contact would probably be large.

I'm open to the idea that it's happened because I'm open to the idea that as old as the universe is there is likely a much more advanced lifeform than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I like the part of the OP's nice tale where they take about three sleeping pills in the morning after being scared by a UFO , sounds like another cheesy B grade movie script.
I also think that many mistakenly think a UFO is some alien spacecraft.
U stands for Unidentified, F stands for flying and O stands for object.

I am not denying that there can be and may very well be aliens about but every time I hear someone assume that a UFO is an alien I have to laugh.
There are many lighted objects flying about that can not be easily identified.
Folks who just assume that these anomalies are aliens need to sober up a bit.

Who knows if the OP really saw an alien or an alien spacecraft. Anyone can say anything they want on a message board. I know that if I saw what I thought to be an alien spacecraft I would say something about it right off and not wait years and then spout off about it on an anonymous message board at a later time. I smell BS.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sheer probability disagrees with you. There are an infinite events in which life on other planets could exist, considering the infiniteness of the universe. But there is only ONE event in which life on other planets does not exist

As we know, 1/infinity = infinitesimally small (since infinity is not a number but the concept of a number so large that you may move towards it by never reach it). Therefore, the probability that there is NO life in the infinite universe is infinitesimally small.

Conversely, the probability of life in the universe is infinitesimally large.

This, however, proves the probability that WE exist since it's just the simple probability of life in the universe.

However, we're most interested in the conditional probability of other life in the universe given there is life in the universe.

P(other life | current life) = P( current life AND other life) / P(current life)

Now, if we can assume that the events "current life" and "other life" are independent of each other, meaning the the occurrence of "current life" does effect the occurrence of "other life", then we can get P( current life AND other life) = P(current life)*P(other life).

If these event are independent then the probability of either is "infinitesimally large".

I would argue that these events ARE independent (of course, some religions would disagree).

So, back to the conditional formula:

P(other life | current life) = (infinitesimally large * infinitesimally large) / infinitesimally large

What does this mean? Let's plug in large numbers for "infinitesimally large" to get a picture.

Pretend "infinitesimally large" = 9,999,999,999,999,999

This means P(other life | current life) = 9,999,999,999,999,999*9,999,999,999,999,999 / 9,999,999,999,999,999 = 9,999,999,999,999,999

Again, I am substituting a number for a concept. The real answer is "infinitesimally large".

So, I think it's more likely that life does exist elsewhere in the universe.

(I know there are likely holes in my "theory". First, I am assuming the events are independent when I can't KNOW that. Second, I am not all that well-versed in the concept of infinity so I may have violated some math. Feel free to point out other holes.)

But that was fun to think about.

BTW, I apply the same thinking to the existence of some sort of God, though because of that I feel the probability of the existence of God in the Bible is "infinitesimally small", though the overall probability of the existence of some sort of Being is "infinitesimally large".

Does this circle back to the idea that God = life on other planets?

What planet did you say you were from?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My focus here is small talk. Save the reputation for the natives.

Congratulations! Your reputation is now over a 1000. Only a select few here manage to attain reputations over a 1000.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses76 View Post
Until the last line I have no idea what you just said. Sure, I'll give you a brief: In this city there are hovering balls of light. Strange things seem to occur within these light balls. I have documented this at least 40 times over. It is something you might have to see for yourself to understand? Also, there are L shaped craft that change form into a spiral and then into a beautiful purple/violet color; a flame shape will then shift into a funnel. The process repeats several times over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagaP56kw2Y I know that you had said you cannot access youtube but maybe someone reading this can? They can see for themselves what it looks like.

After my UFO encounter, I believe other peoples' UFO sightings and encounters. Some of them are probably not UFO's but some of them are.

Apparently you're consciously looking for UFO sightings and you're finding it. And no doubt it's pretty easy to find.

I'm not consciously looking for UFO sightings. I had one experience with a UFO in 2004, and that was upsetting and scary. One UFO encounter was enough for me.

If you've seen UFO activity on Atlanta's freeways, I'm sure Herb Emory of WSB-TV has seen similar sightings. In a helicopter, he patrols Atlanta's freeways to notify us of car crashes and other things that could delay our morning commutes.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
When considering life from outer space visiting Earth please keep these facts in mind.

1) There are no planets that support life closer than 20 light years away.
2) Any life that has the ability to travel to Earth would be 10,000 times more advanced than we are.
3) Any life that is so much more advanced than we are would have no reason to hide from us.
4) If they wanted to hide, they wouldn't be discovered mostly in trailor parks & Walmart parking lots.

The fact is there's about as much evidence for Aliens visiting earth as there is for Harry Potter. I'm continually shocked at the nonsense that otherwise rational adults seem to believe. UFO's, ghosts, spirits, ESP, talking with the dead, ect... Seriously, it's fun to ponder, but to suggest this stuff is real just makes you look like a kook to the rational people who surround you. I'd suggest you keep your "true ufo" stories confined to anonymous message boards, to avoid looking like Dale Gribble.

You have a closed mind about this subject. Many people do. My mind was closed about this subject until I had this bizarre encounter with a white light following me. At one point it hovered above my car. Rationally explaining this is difficult. As I see it, there's a limited number of explanations.

It's logical to assume that a person/alien/force, is controlling the movement of the white light. This person/alien/force is either in a capsule that's emitting the white light, or they're operating the white light by remote control.

Lights, objects, spaceships, etc. just don't fly around by themselves unassisted.

Humans on Earth send satellites into space to perform lots of experiments. Maybe "aliens" in another solar sytem can control the movement of lights, objects, spaceships, etc. by remote control trillions of light years away.

Or maybe "aliens" live here on Earth but we're not aware of it. That could very well be possible.

I disagree with your number three statement. "Aliens" SHOULD be fearful of humans.

Too many humans are mentally disturbed and carry guns. Aliens' safety would be in jeopardy if they meet inhospitable humans. They may meet very welcoming, hospitable humans, but then again they may meet very unwelcoming, inhospitable humans.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM

196 posts, read 208,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
You have a closed mind about this subject. Many people do. My mind was closed about this subject until I had this bizarre encounter with a white light following me. At one point it hovered above my car. Rationally explaining this is difficult. As I see it, there's a limited number of explanations.

It's logical to assume that a person/alien/force, is controlling the movement of the white light. This person/alien/force is either in a capsule that's emitting the white light, or they're operating the white light by remote control.

Lights, objects, spaceships, etc. just don't fly around by themselves unassisted.

Humans on Earth send satellites into space to perform lots of experiments. Maybe "aliens" in another solar sytem can control the movement of lights, objects, spaceships, etc. by remote control trillions of light years away.

Or maybe "aliens" live here on Earth but we're not aware of it. That could very well be possible.

I disagree with your number three statement. "Aliens" SHOULD be fearful of humans.

Too many humans are mentally disturbed and carry guns. Aliens' safety would be in jeopardy if they meet inhospitable humans. They may meet very welcoming, hospitable humans, but then again they may meet very unwelcoming, inhospitable humans.
"I never would have seen it unless I believed it." fits well here.

My mind is closed to the existence of many things: Leprichauns, Unicorns, Fire-breathing dragons, Peter Pan, Humpty Dumpty, Harry Potter, ect... I'm not closed to the possibility of alien life existing, or even visiting Earth - but I'd have to see evidence to believe it.

Claims of personal experience are not evidence. Most people who "saw a UFO" only say so to get attention from other attention-starved tin-foil hat wearers. I believe you are no different.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Congratulations! Your reputation is now over a 1000. Only a select few here manage to attain reputations over a 1000.
Thank you.

I've never seen a UFO myself in any context (well, except in video games and such), but my uncle and Dad both claim to have seen a flying cylindrical object at one point in central Minnesota. My uncle is a former USAF fighter pilot and retired UA captain, and my dad is a finance type ... neither one reads scifi or is likely to make such things up, at least in my opinion.

Neither one says it was a UFO, but they can't explain what they saw, either.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM

[quote=rickers;1682745

I know that if I saw what I thought to be an alien spacecraft I would say something about it right off and not wait years and then spout off about it on an anonymous message board at a later time. I smell BS. [/quote]

You're jumping to conclusions that are false.

Firstly, I have not mentioned my bizarre enounter with the white light, which lasted approximately for an hour, to my neighbors. Not one! And I do have contact with my neighbors.

During the entire incident, the white light was closest to me just as I was about to turn into my subdivison.

I would guess that quite a few people would talk about a strange light invading their little corner of the universe to their neighbors. This type of thing doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Secondly, I've tried to block this incident out of my mind. I wanted to forget it and move on. Talking, or writing about it, at the time would have required only more focus about it.

Luckily, nothing unusual or stange has happened since 2004. I did think back in 2004 that something similar might happen down the road. So far, nothing. And I'm happy about that.

Thirdly, during the past 10-years I have entertained the thought of writing a book. Several people have suggested I write a book. I have written one chapter. Not about this incident, though.

Immediately after this bizarre incident, I also entertained the thought of writing about it in the book. Why write about this incident at the time, if you're going to eventually write a book including the incident.

As of now, it doesn't look like a book is in the cards. I'm not totally ruling it out, but it's somewhat unlikely a book will materialize.

And due to my reservations and doubts concerning a future book, I decided to write about the incident now.

Everything I have written here about the incident is true. I did take the sleeping pills. And I did pull the covers over my head. Yeah, it's dumb but I did it.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
"I never would have seen it unless I believed it." fits well here.

My mind is closed to the existence of many things: Leprichauns, Unicorns, Fire-breathing dragons, Peter Pan, Humpty Dumpty, Harry Potter, ect... I'm not closed to the possibility of alien life existing, or even visiting Earth - but I'd have to see evidence to believe it.

Claims of personal experience are not evidence. Most people who "saw a UFO" only say so to get attention from other attention-starved tin-foil hat wearers. I believe you are no different.

I'm sure some disturbed people fabricate stories about UFO sightings and encounters. And no doubt they want the attention.

You want proof and evidence. When the government vigorously tries to suppress all stories relating to UFO sightings and encounters, it makes it much more difficult to prove the existence of UFO's and "aliens."

I guess the 1947 UFO crash near Roswell, New Mexico is about the best evidence we have. Supposedly aliens died in the crash. You would think this accident would be a very, very, very good piece of evidence.

What does our government do? They remove the bodies from the accident sight as quickly as possible and they deny everything.

In this case we have the evidence, but it's quickly whisked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta