Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:36 PM

200 posts, read 449,513 times

Advertisements

Contrary to city booseters, i feel Atlanta is suffering terribly from the recession. For a city so "business" oriented and "diversified" in it's economy, why is it doing so bad. Especially when you compare other sunbelt cities with less bossterism (Dallas, TX) which is still thriving and unemployment rate dropping to 4.2%

What makes Atlanta different from Dallas? Or maybe im exaggerating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
Dallas has unemployment of over 8%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Contrary to city booseters, i feel Atlanta is suffering terribly from the recession. For a city so "business" oriented and "diversified" in it's economy, why is it doing so bad. Especially when you compare other sunbelt cities with less bossterism (Dallas, TX) which is still thriving and unemployment rate dropping to 4.2%

Old 09-03-2009, 01:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Atlanta is very tied to the housing industry. Many of the home builders and companies like Home Depot are HQ'd here in Atlanta.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:

To compare apples to apples, lets look at the current unemployment rates of some comperable cities.

The Minneapolis/St. Paul MSA's unemployment rate is 7.8% (of all the MSA's that have more than 3 million, MSP is the lowest)
The Denver MSA's unemployment rate is 8.0%
The Dallas/Fort Worth MSA's Unemployment rate is 8.3%
The Houston MSA's unemployment rate is 8.4%
The Memphis MSA's Unemployment rate is 10.3%
The Chicago MSA's Unemployment rate is 10.6%
The Atlanta MSA's unemployment rate is 10.7%
The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Unemployment rate is 10.9%
The Los Angeles MSA's unemployment rate is 11.7%

Draw what conclusions of it you will.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
To compare apples to apples, lets look at the current unemployment rates of some comperable cities.

The Minneapolis/St. Paul MSA's unemployment rate is 7.8% (of all the MSA's that have more than 3 million, MSP is the lowest)

Oh I got my facts from 2008. My bad...But Dallas is still faring better than Atlanta and Houston for that matter.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Atlanta is very tied to the housing industry. Many of the home builders and companies like Home Depot are HQ'd here in Atlanta.
Good point!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Oh I got my facts from 2008. My bad...But Dallas is still faring better than Atlanta and Houston for that matter.
Well, I think Houston and Dallas are fareing about the same.

Atlanta will bounce back. Im not worried about it. The places that are doing the best in this economy are midsized to smaller cities and MSA's. Major MSA's arent doing as well. Granted of the top 15 MSA's in the US, DFW and Houston are doing the best, I think its because their economies are super diverse. Atlantas is too, but as its been mentioned, Atlanta's hands are tied by the housing industry which is suffering.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Well of course we know Atlanta will bounce back, but when will it happen exactly? Didn't georgia and Atlanta get billions in the stimulus? When will it bounce back and will it do so before the others?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,063,952 times
Atlanta will NOT turn into Detroit, because it has a diverse economy. Even if people stop drinking sodas and Coke files for bankrupcy, there still are other companies to save the city. As mentioned, Home Depot has taken a hit due to the housing, and also the overbuilding of condos which is similar to Miami's situation. Delta Air Lines have been down due to less travelers, but merging with Northwest to become the world's largest airline could have a potential postive effect, and may increase global attention for Atlanta. What Atlanta should have is a major hi-tech company HQ, something for the wave of the future like robotics or new electronic gadgets. There are smaller companies like Scientific Atlanta. The communications and cable companies (ex. Cox Enterprises) aren't going anywhere.

There are plenty of construction cranes out there ready to move once they receive funding. There is Midtown Mile and Streets of Buckhead that could bring in a lot of retail revenue, and other mixed-use developments, and the Beltline coming up. The last year or so has been tough for Atlanta, but I think there will be better days ahead.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

292 posts, read 635,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

You can't draw much conclusions from just unemployment rates. There are other factors to consider, eg., the demoraphics, education levels, industry base, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta