Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:26 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
Are people actually commuting from Rome to Atlanta? I'm sorry but that is on them to live 40+ miles from the city and expect a easy commute.
Yes. Plenty of people do it. Unfortunately not many people can be too picky when it comes to work nowadays and have to take what they can get.

Many cities have commuter rail systems. Atlanta has been notorious for traffic a long time and it was built on railroads. I've never understood why there hasn't been a bigger push for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 PM

86 posts, read 121,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yes. Plenty of people do it. Unfortunately not many people can be too picky when it comes to work nowadays and have to take what they can get.

Many cities have commuter rail systems. Atlanta has been notorious for traffic a long time and it was built on railroads. I've never understood why there hasn't been a bigger push for it.
I don't know a commuter rail that travels 60 miles ( the distance of Rome GA from ATL) in any city in the country. I think you are asking a bit much. I mean looking at google maps Rome GA is actually closer to Chattanooga then it is to ATL. I know times are hard but you can't convince me that if there is a significant amount of people commuting from Rome to ATL everyday that those people are doing it out of pure necessity and not because they choose live to in Rome.

Last edited by ATLSuperfriend; 01-01-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
I don't know a commuter rail that travels 60 miles ( the distance of Rome GA from ATL) in any city in the country. I think you are asking a bit much. I mean looking at google maps Rome GA is actually closer to Chattanooga then it is to ATL. I know times are hard but you can't convince me that if there is a significant amount of people commuting from Rome to ATL everyday that those people are doing it out of pure necessity and not because they choose to in Rome.
It's almost the same exact distance from Atlanta as Athens(around 65 miles). It's only an hour or so each way on a clear day.

Several commuter rail lines go much farther that 60 miles. LIRR Penn Station to Montauk is 107miles. I think the Metro North lines extend into the 80's as well as several other lines in other cities. I'd accept Cartersville(40 miles) as an endpoint.

Have you been to Rome lately? Unless you work in law enforcement or the medical field decent paying jobs are pretty hard to come by right now in that city. Maybe some of them commute to the suburbs but plenty of folks in Rome work in the Atlanta area.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
Quote:
I don't know a commuter rail that travels 60 miles ( the distance of Rome GA from ATL) in any city in the country. I think you are asking a bit much. I mean looking at google maps Rome GA is actually closer to Chattanooga then it is to ATL. I know times are hard but you can't convince me that if there is a significant amount of people commuting from Rome to ATL everyday that those people are doing it out of pure necessity and not because they choose to in Rome.
You must be joking or willfully ignorant.

NY's Metro-North commuter rail travels nearly 80 miles into Waterbury, Connecticut from the city.

MTA Metro-North Railroad

The MARC commuter rail which services Maryland and feeds into the DC/Baltimore metro area has a line to Martinsburg, WV, some 90 miles from DC.

MARC Home Page (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/ - broken link)

Even Virginia with its VRE commuter rail has trains from Fredericksburg to DC, nearly 50 miles.

Rail service in Virginia - VRE

When you have densely populated areas such as New York or the DC/Baltimore metro or Philly or Boston, etc., you will find that commuter rail is easily supported. These commuter rail systems are IN ADDITION to the heavy rail and subway lines in those metro areas.

Its the lack of density, along with NIMBYism and an aversion to city planning that plagues Atlanta, even within the city limits. The more liberal local governments in the Northeast (versus Republican dominated Georgia) can legislate for higher taxes in order to fund mass transit. It's the snowball effect in motion: more mass transit, means further smart growth and densification, which generates revenue for additional commuter lines, additional heavy rail and additional streetcar lines and so on and so on...

For various reasons people in Georgia keep spreading out more than they are filling in. People also moved there because it's cheap and taxes are low not because they're trying to create an urban community. In the current local political and economic climate I honestly do not see any hope in Atlanta for mass transit funding. In fact with negative economic growth I don't know where you're going to find money to do ANYTHING. Very depressed situation down there.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleRay View Post
Thanks cwkimbro. Being new to the city, its just tough to look around and see so much crime, poverty, and environmental degradation. I feel like Atlanta has so much potential but needs so much more change. I really appreciate the suggestion and wont take it lightly

Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
You must be joking or willfully ignorant.

NY's Metro-North commuter rail travels nearly 80 miles into Waterbury, Connecticut from the city.

MTA Metro-North Railroad

The MARC commuter rail which services Maryland and feeds into the DC/Baltimore metro area has a line to Martinsburg, WV, some 90 miles from DC.

MARC Home Page (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/ - broken link)

Even Virginia with its VRE commuter rail has trains from Fredericksburg to DC, nearly 50 miles.

Rail service in Virginia - VRE

When you have densely populated areas such as New York or the DC/Baltimore metro or Philly or Boston, etc., you will find that commuter rail is easily supported. These commuter rail systems are IN ADDITION to the heavy rail and subway lines in those metro areas.

Its the lack of density, along with NIMBYism and an aversion to city planning that plagues Atlanta, even within the city limits. The more liberal local governments in the Northeast (versus Republican dominated Georgia) can legislate for higher taxes in order to fund mass transit. It's the snowball effect in motion: more mass transit, means further smart growth and densification, which generates revenue for additional commuter lines, additional heavy rail and additional streetcar lines and so on and so on...

For various reasons people in Georgia keep spreading out more than they are filling in. People also moved there because it's cheap and taxes are low not because they're trying to create an urban community. In the current local political and economic climate I honestly do not see any hope in Atlanta for mass transit funding. In fact with negative economic growth I don't know where you're going to find money to do ANYTHING. Very depressed situation down there.

Your back with your old ways again..

Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Your back with your old ways again..
And which "old ways" are these? Would you rather I stick my head in the sand and pretend like everything is peachy in Atlanta despite the obvious failings on all sides? I believe that's what your job is. I prefer to live in reality.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
I honestly do not see any hope in Atlanta for mass transit funding.
Instead of fighting a partisan political battle for control over public funds, why not do the opposite?

Enact ZERO tax liability for any electric traction rail based mass transit operation and its employees and investors.

Don't you think investment money would fly into it?
TAX EXEMPT profits?
Don't you think companies would suddenly begin to build, install and operate PRIVATELY owned rail transit?

Of course, such a solution would require a loss of power and revenue - the bane of any politician or government self interest.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
And which "old ways" are these? Would you rather I stick my head in the sand and pretend like everything is peachy in Atlanta despite the obvious failings on all sides? I believe that's what your job is. I prefer to live in reality.
Your reputation proceeds you. You have been wishing for the downfall of Atlanta for several years now. It's tired, and your agenda is well known around here.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Your reputation proceeds you. You have been wishing for the downfall of Atlanta for several years now. It's tired, and your agenda is well known around here.
It "proceeds" me? Interesting choice of words.

Face it, the city is a mess. You can stick your hand smiley in my face all you want, but it's obvious that nothing has changed recently and in fact appears even worse.

Thanks to some anonymous messages I received I understand you are now Captain Atlanta? Is this a title you take seriously? Because you have a lot of work cut out for you, although I'm sure you look fabulous in a leotard.

And who the **** are the Superfriends? Can someone pinch me. I knew Atlanta was a joke, but now it has turned into a cartoon show? Are you people serious? With private messages?

Helter skelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta