Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on expanding MARTA?
Yes, we need MARTA to be expanded and I will use. 173 73.31%
I probably won't use it, but expanding MARTA is a good idea. 25 10.59%
I don't care. 6 2.54%
I don't want MARTA to be expanded. 32 13.56%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, the blue trains aren't bad but the orange ones literally smell like ****!

I'm a proponent for mass transit, just not rail. atlgreg, you are right on about the park n ride, I do it now. The problem is the cost of rail compared to the actual number of people that use it. That's why I'm a proponent of the Bus Rapid Transit (Bus only lanes, or at least seperated HOV lanes.

Most of the traffic issues are getting to the perimeter, not inside the perimeter. I don't see the point of driving to perimeter mall and then hopping on Marta to go downtown. You're only a few miles away and not that bad traffic from there.

I'm an alumn of GT and they constantly have GTRI proposing projects. This month's alumni magazine has an article called 'Disconnect the Connector'. You can google it to read it.

Their study says that ~50% of the trips on the downtown connector originate outside 285 and have destinations OUTSIDE the perimeter. About 75% of the connector traffic passes thru, with only 25% actually using the highway to access the central business district.

They actually propose cutting the lanes to 6 instead of 12 and forcing others to use 285 as well as expansion of mass transit. good article and interesting. They're premise is just to get people talking, stating that most major cities don't have a major interstate right thru the middle.
Oh my gosh, you MUST be kidding, right? 285? With all those trucks and stuff? I MUST google that article and read it. You are correct, that WILL get people talking, they CAN'T be serious!! 285 is a MESS as it is!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
They could narrow down the connector to TWO LANES and you know what people here would do? Drive on it anyway. Yes, they would. They'd get up at 3am to leave for work if they had to, but they would never change their driving routes if the city did that - they ARE that ignorant and set in their ways.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
We need new leadership. We need a governor who is going to be tough and spend the money of a light rail line whether people like it or not.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,069 times
Ick, more bus lines? Not for me. Rail all the way! I want some transit that doesn't compete with other cars.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 AM

75 posts, read 233,732 times
Edited, someone already covered my point.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
They could narrow down the connector to TWO LANES and you know what people here would do? Drive on it anyway. Yes, they would. They'd get up at 3am to leave for work if they had to, but they would never change their driving routes if the city did that - they ARE that ignorant and set in their ways.
Yes, you are SO right! Ignorant people will find a way to get around it instead of FIX it, no matter how stupid it is and complain the whole time.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
Yes, you are SO right! Ignorant people will find a way to get around it instead of FIX it, no matter how stupid it is and complain the whole time.
I agree as well. People complain about crime so much and the irony is that crime somehow gets to even safe areas because the real criminals can steal cars and rob people. It can happen. I think that alot of people would rather stay in traffic for 2 or 3 hours a day and spend $100 on gas a week than see some person that they would see as an "undesirable" walking around.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I agree as well. People complain about crime so much and the irony is that crime somehow gets to even safe areas because the real criminals can steal cars and rob people.
You are so right. We had a break-in in my development, some neighbors(later) saw the car(at a local gas station) and took down the license plate number. After seeing the car for the 3rd time they were finally able to get the correct number. The first two times the car was spotted it had stolen tags on it.

Last edited by xxman777; 07-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Quotes

Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM

I know what you mean. If the MARTA did go to Cobb County, I could work in Atlanta, or even Gwinnett County where there are jobs. Sadly, so ,many residents only care about themselves. They would say, "get a job", but how to do you get a job if you don't have a car and the jobs are far away? Everyone think about that.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Quote:
What about the people who need work and can't get to jobs because there is little work where they live and the work they can find is not accessible by transit?
Why would I vote to bus people in from depressed areas just so they can try to find jobs where I live? Or, why should I be required to suffer to support a poorer community that cannot sustain itself? I don't want that. If I did, I'd move to the depressed areas and open a business there to provide jobs for people. I admit, I am not that kind-hearted.

The reason that people continue to move out to the outskirts of Atlanta is to get away from bussing programs, such as MARTA, which want to import cheap labor for industrial areas. Why would I want to grow bigger industrial areas in my nice rural-suburban community? If MARTA doesn't benefit the residents of a community, and those residents don't want MARTA in their town, why are a bunch of poor, unemployed people from a city 30 miles away cramming this down on an outlying community? Sounds quite draconian to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta