Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I suspect that most people who go into a liquor store already know what they want to buy but I have to agree with arjay57 about wine. Wine comes in such a wide variety that most of us don't really have a great deal of knowledge on the subject. I rarely even drink wine and all I know is that I like red wine the best but if I was going to have guests over I think I'd need a bit of advice about what to purchase instead of dragging out a gallon of the cheap stuff that you can buy at the supermarket for a few bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
The HEB warehouse type grocery stores in Houston have a great liquor section.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I suspect that most people who go into a liquor store already know what they want to buy but I have to agree with arjay57 about wine. Wine comes in such a wide variety that most of us don't really have a great deal of knowledge on the subject. I rarely even drink wine and all I know is that I like red wine the best but if I was going to have guests over I think I'd need a bit of advice about what to purchase instead of dragging out a gallon of the cheap stuff that you can buy at the supermarket for a few bucks.
From my tour of the Publix wine area you can purchase some rather expensive wines there--whether the selection is all that one might desire I can't say. I am never good at selecting red wines--most are too dry. They seem to favor Shirazz--placed on the corner of each aisle. I know I don't like that.

At the nearby package store there are many more reasonably priced options.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Don't get me wrong. The former Disco Kroger has a terrific wine department and plenty of fine wines that will set you back $50-80 a bottle.

However, if you're a collector looking for something specific you'll still want to check out a few of the high end shops. Kroger may well have the same wine but if I'm going to spring for wine in that price range I'm going to do some comparison shopping.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I was able to find a bottle of wine that I liked in Publix. Yeah me.

No real problem in my little niche--had I not been able to spot said bottle of wine at Publix I could have walked across the parking lot to a liquor store and asked for assistance and walked out in less than 5 minutes.
You might be surprised by the manager of the wine dept at St Simons Harris Teeter...this guy is well trained and as knowledgeable as anyone I know re: the art of the grape. Has traveled to wineries on behalf of HT, yadda yadda...
An old friend of mine was the retired wine buyer for the Atlanta area Publix stores. It was interesting to hear how much resource they invested in their wine dept, which apparently yields some pretty high margins for them in certain stores. Interestingly, he told me that the two 'big' Publix stores for wine in the metro were...Ponce de Leon and East Cobb:

Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You might be surprised by the manager of the wine dept at St Simons Harris Teeter...this guy is well trained and as knowledgeable as anyone I know re: the art of the grape. Has traveled to wineries on behalf of HT, yadda yadda...
An old friend of mine was the retired wine buyer for the Atlanta area Publix stores. It was interesting to hear how much resource they invested in their wine dept, which apparently yields some pretty high margins for them in certain stores. Interestingly, he told me that the two 'big' Publix stores for wine in the metro were...Ponce de Leon and East Cobb:
Interesting. At the Toco Hill Publix the wine department seems to have recently expanded. I hadn't been in that store in a while and there was a good selection. More than I needed. I will have to take a more leisurely tour.

I know many places don't carry Chateau Elan so I was impressed to see that.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Wasn't Ansley Kroger rated #1 by CL for their discount wines?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
This is an interesting article:

Poll Shows State Divided Over Sunday Liquor Sales - Politics News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Don't get me wrong. The former Disco Kroger has a terrific wine department and plenty of fine wines that will set you back $50-80 a bottle.

However, if you're a collector looking for something specific you'll still want to check out a few of the high end shops. Kroger may well have the same wine but if I'm going to spring for wine in that price range I'm going to do some comparison shopping.
The real trick is finding good wines in the $10-$15 range. There are lots of very good wines in that price range, and also lots of terrible wine in that price range. This is where a knowlegable employee comes in most handy, since this is the price range that moves the most units (based on the number of bottles you'll find in that price range at grocery and liquor stores, compared to higher priced bottles).

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
After the discussion in this thread about wine I wouldn't wish to be the fly on the wall during discussions in South GA about liquor.

Beer and wine sold in grocery stores on Sunday then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta