Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
This shouldn't even be an issue, there is no reason to have local elections to allow sunday sale of alcoholic beverages. It should be allowed, period. Any ban on buying something on a given day that is legal to buy on the other 6 days is ludicrous. The bible thumpers need to know they can't always get their way. I don't see sunday as being different from any other day, the sun rises and sets, the earth turns, life goes on, so what's the problem.
You do realize there are counties where you cant buy any alcohol at all, right? Of course you probably think that's ridiculous and I agree, but in parts of South Georgia, among other parts of the country, Sunday sales are a total pipe dream; they'd be happy to get a drop on Friday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Sunday alcohol sales legislation given good odds *| ajc.com

'New Gov. Nathan Deal has said he supports allowing local governments to make their own decision on Sunday sales.'

That is rather surprising to me --but I don't keep up with politics as I probably should.

Coming from a family of native Georgians who definitely will not see the need for the sale of alcohol on Sunday I have to wonder if this is a step in the right direction. That's just how we are. shrug
Its an idiotic law that needs to be changed. EVERY state that borders us has Sundy alchohol sales in certain municipalities so the religous arguement for this has been shot to be bits as NO ONE can tell me Alabama, Tennessee or South Carolina isnt any less religious than Georgia.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
I still dont get what the issue is... My wife and I both work and we do our shopping on the weekends. We dont buy alcohol regularly but when we do we have to plan our saturday to do it.. having a 3 1/2 yr old and a newborn our schedule is hectic. This further hampers having to schedule our time. Nowhere else in the country has this law. Are you saying there are no christians anywhere else in the country??
lol--I'm not saying anything. If my aunt were here she would give you an earful--in her 80's ==you would never forget. 'If it ain't broken don't fix it'.

According to some, Nathan Deal has been described as Sonny Perdue Part 2--so I was surprised.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Its an idiotic law that needs to be changed. EVERY state that borders us has Sundy alchohol sales in certain municipalities so the religous arguement for this has been shot to be bits as NO ONE can tell me Alabama, Tennessee or South Carolina isnt any less religious than Georgia.
What can I say--there has been alcoholism in my family and those affected by this don't like alcohol for one thing and yes, we are 'Those People'--abstain for religious reasons. Some of us will have a glass of wine on special occasions. shrug--Other than that fairly nice people.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I'm sure the same people who have a problem with this also smoke, had sex when they were not married, cursed, etc on Sunday so I dont see the problems
Nope. I'm afraid my family would be considered 'Rednecks'--not many around these days. They just live very simply and morally--most of the time they refrain from 'judging' others, FWIW.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm afraid my family would be considered 'Rednecks'--not many around these days. They just live very simply and morally--most of the time they refrain from 'judging' others, FWIW.
They'll still be able to do all of that if Sunday sales passes.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Coming from a family of native Georgians who definitely will not see the need for the sale of alcohol on Sunday I have to wonder if this is a step in the right direction. That's just how we are. shrug
There isn't a "need" for a lot things (even things generally considered important like interstates, good education, etc.), but those are things which many people desire to have.

Some folks want the option to buy alcohol on Sunday. I'm not one of them, but I'm not sure I understand why it would even be questioned? Surely those who don't want to buy alcohol on Sundays can choose to not do so?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Its a fake moral law that masks problems. Hell if you have a bud that serves they can go on the base and get you alcohol on Sunday. You can go to the strip club on Sunday and drink.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
I still dont get what the issue is... My wife and I both work and we do our shopping on the weekends. We dont buy alcohol regularly but when we do we have to plan our saturday to do it.. having a 3 1/2 yr old and a newborn our schedule is hectic. This further hampers having to schedule our time. Nowhere else in the country has this law. Are you saying there are no christians anywhere else in the country??
Not quite true. Georgia is one of 15 states that have restrictions on Sunday sales, not all of them in the Bible belt either. People in Indiana for example are trying to get their Sunday blue laws overturned, too.

By the way, funny you mention how this creates scheduling problems. In trying to punt on the issue, former Governor Sonnie Perdue actually tried arguing a few years ago in favor of the existing law that it helped Georgians learn better "time management" skills.

No joke, I kid you not ..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They'll still be able to do all of that if Sunday sales passes.
Oh I know---lol--many of the changes that have come to pass in the past few decades have been unsettling to say the least--they just shake their heads. Keep on living by their values --the few of us that are left. My sweet uncle passed away last August--a devout Christian and a fine man. Some people just prefer to 'avoid evil'--anyway that's my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta