Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,352 times

Advertisements

I just got a bike and I want to know where the good trails and biking areas are in the metro. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
Georgia's Bike Trails

This site is my favorite: Atlanta Area Mountain Biking - Mountain Bike Trails

There is no shortage of good mountain biking in Georgia. My favorite is Unicoi State Park, in Helen, GA.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Georgia's Bike Trails

This site is my favorite: Atlanta Area Mountain Biking - Mountain Bike Trails

There is no shortage of good mountain biking in Georgia. My favorite is Unicoi State Park, in Helen, GA.
Great! Any none mountain areas/urban biking areas with bike lanes?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM

The PATH has some nice lanes but they're not connected for doing any kind of long urban ride. However, there are a lot of urban cyclists here so I think once you get here you can find a group to join. I'm sorry I can't provide a link for that. I'm not really a cyclist. I'm a runner who bike commutes (7 miles each way) and occassionally likes to go mountain biking. So, I could assist with finding a commute route (meaning, even if it means you have to go on and off road or deal with junkyard dogs, etc, whatever you might find on a route that has little cars).

But, Atlanta has a huge cycling community so I have no doubt that within days of moving here you can easily find people who are into road cycling and can bring you into their weekly ride, or whatever.

It's February. Right now it's chilly and tends to rain a lot. But in the next 6 weeks we're going to start heading into the weather that makes Atlanta great. And you're going to see the legions of cyclists on the road.

Its funny to me how people complain about how this city isn't bike friendly yet it doesn't seem to have an impact on the massive cycling community we have here (this is gladness I am speaking from).

Welcome to Atlanta, it's fantastic climate and it's fun rollercoaster hills for riding or running!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,805 times
Default One of my favorites

Arabia Mountain

Arabia Mountain bike trail is paved, but you should absolutely check out the side trails that lead to the rock outcroppings. They are awesome. We love to go out and pack a picnic lunch, bike the trail to one end, have lunch and then bike back. We've seen snakes and other cool critters, and even a turkey (that flew when we came around the trail curve and scared it). I had never seen that before.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
The Silver Comet Trail begins 13 miles west of Atlanta and encompasses over 60 miles of paved bike path. Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome Some sections can be quite remote and you can end up several miles from any public areas - not a place to go by yourself if you are concerned for your safety.

Closer in is the Big Creek Trail which goes from Roswell to Alpharetta. It is probably close to ten miles from end to end. More populated and more on/off spots than Silver Comet.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
The Big Creek Greenway continues to expand. I think it is now linked up to close to 16 miles. It also has mountain bike trails accessible from the Old Alabama entrance. My son rode over there two weeks ago. He said the trails were clearly marked for beginner, intermediate and advanced riders. Both options can be crowded on weekend, but are a joy during the week.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
The Suwanee Creek Greenway is another paved option, which connects to more paved and unpaved trails in George Pierce Park.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM

I asked for paved because I am not sure how well this cheap bike will hold up on rough. I definitely want to give Mountain a try and if this bike fails I'll opt for one that cost more then $50 bucks if I like it, lol.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM

If you're a casual cyclist like myself then you don't need to spend more than about $350 for an entry level bike. I ride a Raleigh Talus 2.0 for all my commuting and mountain biking needs. With commuting in ATL you need to be able to navigate crappy roads with potholes or giant metal plates covering sink holes or jump curves so a mountain bike comes in handy.

And do you and your ego a favor and skip the single speed bike. It's trendy but it's also hilly and if you want to enjoy your ride then you're gonna want more than one gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta