Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
No, but they can nag and guilt-trip the living daylights out of you! "Mama, Mrs. Obama says that Oreos are bad for you. Why are you buying us bad food?" Mine reads labels (really makes me wish I'd left him illiterate) and susses out trans fats and high fructose corn syrup like a truffle snorting pig.
I lolled. Mine will read them as well, but because I force him to. He often tries to overlook things though. I wish he was more like that truffle snorting pig you mentioned. He's almost 12 and I can count on one hand how many times he's had coke and like sodas in his life. I can let him go to Grandma's though and know she's filling him up with fruity pebbles, cookies and whatever other god awful crap she can find that kids LIKE! It's occasional though so I don't mind. I just hope the good eating habits we are following at home outweigh those occasional visits to grandma's, relentless fast food adverts and the crap he sees other kids eat regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
No, but they can nag and guilt-trip the living daylights out of you! "Mama, Mrs. Obama says that Oreos are bad for you. Why are you buying us bad food?" Mine reads labels (really makes me wish I'd left him illiterate) and susses out trans fats and high fructose corn syrup like a truffle snorting pig.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Instead of focusing just on obesity, how about we focus on child nutrition period? People need to get it out of their minds that a "slender" person is necessarily a healthy person. Regardless of how active they are, kids/teenagers are known to indulge in foods that are high in trans/saturated fat, sodium, and sugar. This is not healthy for anyone of any size.

This is why I've always felt our culture's obsession with obesity is more of a cosmetic thing than an actual health concern.
That's where the First Lady's focus has been:

Let's Move

They are pushing better nutrition and more activity. I think this something we can all get behind as a country no matter what party you belong to and something we all have noticed.

I'm fairly young, but it amazes me how much junk kids eat today and how little they even go outside. When was that age, it was cardinal sin with my mother to be in the house unless it was raining or freezing outside (even then we usually had to beg her). Even when the child murders happened and crack was laying waste to the streets on the Southside. WE couldn't even think about being in the living room glued to the TV for hours at a time.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Gov. Palin says Michelle Obama is taking away our God-given right to eat whatever we want and is trying to make it so nobody can have dessert anymore.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gov. Palin says Michelle Obama is taking away our God-given right to eat whatever we want and is trying to make it so nobody can have dessert anymore.
arjay - When she said this, she was distracted by the Russians she was spying on from her front porch. So, I think you should give her a break.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Too much Moose meat causes dementia.

You don't teach kids that you can't eat anything sweet, you teach them a long forgotten word - "moderation".

Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
I hope Mrs. Obama stops at the Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta to discuss nutrition.

I'm sure Mrs. Obama could briefly outline foods to the company brass that are much more nutritious and healthy than the foods CFA is currently serving to the public.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Update>>>
First lady Michelle Obama in Atlanta *| ajc.com

The snack of the day at this school is blueberries. I love them but they are expensive. If anyone knows how to fund this sort of nutrition for each and every school in the US I wish they would speak up.

Every little bit helps.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
arjay - When she said this, she was distracted by the Russians she was spying on from her front porch. So, I think you should give her a break.
I'd forgotten about that! Those Russkis require eternal vigilance. Take your eyes off them for a second and they'll sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I hope Mrs. Obama stops at the Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta to discuss nutrition.

I'm sure Mrs. Obama could briefly outline foods to the company brass that are much more nutritious and healthy than the foods CFA is currently serving to the public.
Fast food isn't supposed to be healthy. That's what's wrong with this nation now...we keep saying that it's everyone else who needs to make the change instead of ourselves. People know that fast food isn't good for them, and we've known it since we were kids. These companies shouldn't have to change the way they do business because the public has no self-control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta