Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Maybe Atlanta should forget about NHL and try for an MLS team instead?
But wouldn't we then have the similar problem of relying on a transplanted fan base but this time from "south of the border"? We need to change Georgia's laws to make Atlanta more "immigrant" friendly so we can fill the stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But wouldn't we then have the similar problem of relying on a transplanted fan base but this time from "south of the border"? We need to change Georgia's laws to make Atlanta more "immigrant" friendly so we can fill the stands.
Ha! Good point!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Laws are the same in every state as far as immigration goes, or soon will be. Atlanta is incredibly welcoming.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Laws are the same in every state as far as immigration goes, or soon will be.
Uh, not at all. Not every state is passing reactionary, short-sighted immigration "reform" laws. Most are not, in fact.

Atlanta may be welcoming, but Georgia, apparently, is not. It's just another day in New South Atlanta, Old South Georgia.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
This is unfortunate, but not unexpected news. I feel bad for all the Thrashers fans and NHL fans in Atlanta. I remember when the team first came to town it had very good attendance and a fair bit of buzz. Sorry to see things end this way.

It really seems like this got pushed through pretty quickly and as others have noted is a product of greed on the part of the owners and the NHL.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Gary Bettman though is a spineless greedy SOB. They won't be in Winnepeg for long.
He sure is. While the sting of losing the Thrashers will be short lived for Atlantans since they hadn't been around long enough for the city (or have a owner who actually cared enough about the city to field a good team and organization) to feel like it's losing a part of itself with their relocation, just ask the fine people of Hartford how they felt about the Whalers leaving town for Raleigh and the fine people of Minneapolis how they felt about the North Stars leaving for Dallas. You will get nothing short of the vilest vitriol you have ever heard, all thanks to Mr Bettman.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
He sure is. While the sting of losing the Thrashers will be short lived for Atlantans since they hadn't been around long enough for the city (or have a owner who actually cared enough about the city to field a good team and organization) to feel like it's losing a part of itself with their relocation, just ask the fine people of Hartford how they felt about the Whalers leaving town for Raleigh and the fine people of Minneapolis how they felt about the North Stars leaving for Dallas. You will get nothing short of the vilest vitriol you have ever heard, all thanks to Mr Bettman.

Winnipeg is a great city, and the Thrashers will thrive there. I’m an Atlantan who’s been there several times, and love it…in the summer. Good for them.

For all those calling anyone from the South a ‘hayseed,’ ‘redneck,’ etc., just because they don’t like hockey, get over it. We didn’t grow up with it, just like you didn’t grow up with college football.

Coke outsells Pepsi in Atlanta; Pepsi outsells Coke in Canada. It’s all in what you know and like, and Atlantans – most of us anyway – find hockey a useless, boring sport.

Besides, Winnipeg’s people need something to do when it’s 20 below in the winter. In Atlanta in January, we’re playing tennis – outdoors – riding bikes, playing golf, visiting a park. Sit in a cold arena for 3 hours to watch a dozen guys skate aimlessly up and down an ice rink?

Same goes for anyone who complains about lack of support for any pro sports team, here or elsewhere. Why is it my civic obligation to support a bunch of out of town vagabond athletes in any sport?

If you want my entertainment dollar, give me a reason to spend it, i.e., make it fun. But no one will ever make me feel guilty for choosing to actively participate in a sport rather than watch it.

I don’t owe the Braves, the Hawks, the Falcons one dime of my money. They’ve got to earn it with community involvement, an exciting team, a vibrant arena.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Winnipeg is a great city, and the Thrashers will thrive there. I’m an Atlantan who’s been there several times, and love it…in the summer. Good for them.

For all those calling anyone from the South a ‘hayseed,’ ‘redneck,’ etc., just because they don’t like hockey, get over it. We didn’t grow up with it, just like you didn’t grow up with college football.

Coke outsells Pepsi in Atlanta; Pepsi outsells Coke in Canada. It’s all in what you know and like, and Atlantans – most of us anyway – find hockey a useless, boring sport.

Besides, Winnipeg’s people need something to do when it’s 20 below in the winter. In Atlanta in January, we’re playing tennis – outdoors – riding bikes, playing golf, visiting a park. Sit in a cold arena for 3 hours to watch a dozen guys skate aimlessly up and down an ice rink?

Same goes for anyone who complains about lack of support for any pro sports team, here or elsewhere. Why is it my civic obligation to support a bunch of out of town vagabond athletes in any sport?

If you want my entertainment dollar, give me a reason to spend it, i.e., make it fun. But no one will ever make me feel guilty for choosing to actively participate in a sport rather than watch it.

I don’t owe the Braves, the Hawks, the Falcons one dime of my money. They’ve got to earn it with community involvement, an exciting team, a vibrant arena.
Oh, I agree. I think NHL will do just fine in Winnipeg and they are just taking advantage of a situation to fill their want for a major league team again. Can't really fault them for that.

The "fault" in this situation lies solely with the greedy Atlanta Spirit and the brain dead NHL commissioner.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Atlanta's record with professional sports teams has always been a bit disappointing; the Flames didn't get much support in the 70s; the Braves, in spite of a consistent divisional winner, received only moderate support; the Falcons have endured many empty seats, in spite of their being in Football Country...
I do feel sorry for the fans the Thrashers did have; it's tough when the decision is out of your hands; however, sports teams shouldn't dictate to fans ( build a new stadium, or we'll leave, etc), and sometimes leagues such as the NFL should be told to "Go To He%$ ( as LA has done to the NFL for years) when their presence has become too demanding and oppressive..

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Shame.....damn shame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta