Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,187 times

Advertisements

First, let me say that I don't mean to offend anyone and honestly want to understand the following topic better. I don't want this conversation to, um.. color, anyone's opinion of me so I am using an alt account. Cowardly, yes, but not done to mislead anyone. So here goes:

Is the establishment of black-centered organizations racist? I love some of the communities in Atlanta that are mostly African-American, but many of these communities have churches, community centers, or businesses that clearly make the message; "white folk need not apply" or "This place is for blacks only". It makes me feel unwelcome.

I do understand the history of this, no need to reply with a history of the Civil Rights movement. What I do not get is why there are not more organizations that preach Racial Equality, Racial Harmony, or are just simply non-race-based (but still focused on improving their community). Have we not progressed to a point where we can leave the legacy of segregation behind us? Or am i just being Naive...

Help me understand, keep it clean, please don't hijack this thread, thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
I'll bite.

The dirty little secret in our DNA is that we prefer the company of others who look, talk, act & think like us. Period. That's not a bad thing, it's just how things are. That does not mean that one shouldn't extend a hand in friendship to someone else of a different ethnicity, or try to develop an understanding of those who are "different" from us. That's just the right thing to do.

With that said, there was a day & time when organizations of all sorts did maintain some racial "exclusivity" for reasons that may have been valid years ago. From the NAACP, to HBCU's, even today's labor unions, these organizations in 2011 America are now seen as polarizing, counter-productive & relics of a not so nice racially charged past. A case could be made for predominantly black churches as well. Not only do they tend to flaunt election & tax laws by being politically active, the unwelcome message they send to others not of their kind is disturbing & far from "Christian". But, if they choose to segregate themselves from the rest of the world, that's their choice.

To the OP: If you're black, relax. If your of any other ethnic group, don't attend a black church...and don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Racism in other major cities are worse than Atlanta.

Ask a mexican if Arizona is racist.

Ask a white person if Miami, Balitmore,are is racist.

Ask a black person if Boston, San Fran, LA, parts of NYC, etc are racist.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
If black communities make you feel unwelcomed do the Chinatowns in San Fran or NYC make you feel unwelcomed? Do hispanics neighborhoods in Tx or California make you feel unwelcomed? Do the Italians in NY make you feel unwelcomed?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I love the op's tone to address his/her question on the issue. we need more discussions like this. to add to what has already been said, the naacp is an advocate for diversity. there are many whites, asian, hispanics that are envolved with that organization. there are many blacks that look at white chuches that are racially and politically divisive. i guess it depend on how we look at things.

Another issue is blacks in media. look at the reality show "the bachelor". all the bachelors are white. that show to many whites would not be considered as divisive. most wouldnt think twice about it. from a black male perspective its very divisive because its anything but reallity and very racist. if we came up with a black version of "the bachelor" most whites would see it as divisive and racist.

We all need to be more sensitive to the needs of other groups to enjoy racial harmony that we want the world to see.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporaryTroll View Post
I don't want this conversation to, um.. color, anyone's opinion of me so I am using an alt account. Cowardly, yes,
And it's also against the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up for this account. ONE posting account per person.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: