Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,148,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
AGAIN - I just don't get why Tech guys are always trying so hard to PROVE how superior they are to UGA...no one here is saying Tech is a bad school - it is a great engineering school with a solid reputation nationally...DONE. UGA is a totally different animal and most people who would go to one wouldn't even consider going to the other because they want different things in life, neither of which is better or worse than the other...just different, which is fine.
Not for long. UGA is getting into engineering as you probably know and UGA covers most of the sciences (and I'm convince it will have a free standing Med school as well). But I must admit that I don't know why UGA can't raise anywhere near the money Georgia Tech can. With about half the UGA's enrollment Tech can raise about twice as much (and I'm being very approximate).

Tech wants to prove they are better because, for the most part, year after year UGA beats'em on the gridiron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
The 'National Reputation' comments are a joke. I moved to Seattle 11 years ago after growing up in Atlanta and attending UGA. No one cares if you went to Ga Tech or UNC. What skills do you bring to the job. There's regional bias to the state schools like UW, and yeah if you went to Stanford people notice. Maybe in Academia they care, but real world ehhh.
Yeah, I think you have to go to Harvard, Yale, or MIT to really get noticed just for the school.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofATL View Post
I wish I could feel sorry for Tech grads, but I can't. Now that UGA is becoming just as competitive, they have nothing left to brag about. The ultimate college town, prettiest co-eds in the country, a picturesque campus, the number one party scene in the nation, and now a top-notch academic reputation. What reason is there to go to Tech? Tech is a great school, but now that UGA is an academic powerhouse, I don't see the logic in picking Tech over Georgia.
Well, not yet. GT's freshman SATs average more than 100 points higher and Tech still brings in a lot more research money and consistently raises more money. UGA will have engineering but it will take a long time, if ever, to get to GT's level.

UGA is good but they are not on par with Tech. UGA probably should shoot to be like Chapel Hill

Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
The Terry College of Business is an acclaimed program that is of national repute. The Grady College of Journalism, who awards the coveted Peabody Award each year, is ranked very high on a national scale because it is one of only a handful of journalism colleges. The Law school is also revered across the country. The School of Agriculture, a very large part of UGA academics, is perennially ranked higher than UNC. So, we have a national reputation. Also, if you look at other areas, like best education for your money, UGA's $16,000 tuition and fees fares better than UNC's $26,000. UGA is larger 35,000:29,000. Athens is ranked #1 college town in America, also winning the "Best Party School" award three years in a row from 2007-2010. It is older than UNC. The campus of UGA is larger and from personal opinion looks better. The UGA Food Services and Housing Services are both ranked #1 in the nation. And aside from basketball, which UGA is improving (made it to the NCAA tournament last year), UGA Athletics are far superior to a puny Tarheel program. Georgia is improving at a rapid pace, so don't be surprised if they rank in the top 25 colleges nationwide in a decade. Go Dawgs!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
Also, I agree with OUTofATL. Haha. For years Tech has dogged us--no pun intended--for not being as high academically as they are. But, in ten years, we will be. The only thing Tech has going for it against Georgia is its engineering program, which no one will be able to topple.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM

105 posts, read 202,661 times
Speaking of top schools, Ga Tech Ranks in the top 25 in The Times World University Rankings:

Top 400 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2012

Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyMac View Post
The Terry College of Business is an acclaimed program that is of national repute.
They're good but you make it sound as if the Terry name alone will give you the job.

Quote:
Georgia is improving at a rapid pace, so don't be surprised if they rank in the top 25 colleges nationwide in a decade. Go Dawgs!
I would be very surprised. The other schools are not standing still either. UGA's funding raising is good but even GT does much better.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM

16,733 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTATL View Post
Speaking of top schools, Ga Tech Ranks in the top 25 in The Times World University Rankings:

Top 400 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2012

Awesome! Well deserved.

gt6368a

Last edited by aries4118; 10-06-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

gt6368a
Whoa...you must be old if your Georgia Tech ID is that.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM

16,733 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Whoa...you must be old if your Georgia Tech ID is that.

That is my former ID.

Does Tech still label students this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta