Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times

Advertisements

[CENTER]A Moment of Celebration[/CENTER]

I would like to take a moment to celebrate the fact that you folks have made it through six pages of a hot, controversial, topic without getting into any fights, insulting one another, or otherwise causing the door to close.

[CENTER]Here... have a cookie...

You may now continue.[/CENTER]

Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
No problems. I'm only noting that you are speaking to the choir with those articles. I am in much agreement with them.

Also, who said anything about talking to racists? Conservatives are pretty much persona non grata as far I'm concerned. But sideline/fence-sitting moderates are a different story.

Nudge just enough of them on our side, and we might just have ourselves a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Lol...No, my Brother Acid--I was not trying to shame or reach anyone. I was just showing a small part of the article/link that I thought was particularly interesting. That wasn't my writing (it was from the article).

The reason I posted the link was as an informative piece relating to some of the commentary/posts on this thread. Just food for thought.

Me trying to reach and appeal to people/racists (especially through "70's-era racial guilt")???...puh-leeze/as if!

I'm not in the business of trying to change people's minds--life's too short and time too valuable to consider otherwise. I will inform--but people have to change themselves.

Read the link I posted...it's a semi-long, so make yourself a cup of tea!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
I luv cookies!!!

Especially the macademian nut with white chocolate. The Samoas and Thin mints that are sold by the Girl Scouts are pretty awesome as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
[CENTER]A Moment of Celebration[/CENTER]

I would like to take a moment to celebrate the fact that you folks have made it through six pages of a hot, controversial, topic without getting into any fights, insulting one another, or otherwise causing the door to close.

[CENTER]Here... have a cookie...[/CENTER]

[CENTER]You may now continue.[/CENTER]

Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 AM

567 posts, read 890,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I assume thugs means Wall Street crooks who ruined the financial system, or the FED maybe. You know REAL chaos....
We seem to forget about those thugs don't we? Who is truly damaging our nation? The stronger our nation the less our problems. In the end, there are more economic opportunities for everyone.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 AM

567 posts, read 890,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I luv cookies!!!

Especially the macademian nut with white chocolate. The Samoas and Thin mints that are sold by the Girl Scouts are pretty awesome as well.
I change my mind I want Macademian nut with white chocolate too!!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
No problems. I'm only noting that you are speaking to the choir with those articles. I am in much agreement with them.

Also, who said anything about talking to racists? Conservatives are pretty much persona non grata as far I'm concerned. But sideline/fence-sitting moderates are a different story.

Nudge just enough of them on our side, and we might just have ourselves a winner!
True--

And a lot of moderates are uninformed about the true "conservative" agenda/back-story. Hence, the need for articles/links at times.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
We seem to forget about those thugs don't we? Who is truly damaging our nation?
I want to get those Wall Street thugs, too, but at least they are not attacking people at SOTG or shooting up Midtown.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Bad guys are not as tough as we think. We just LET them think so.
I don't think they are tough at all. Just a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Well said Boortz.

From his blog:

Wonder how many new listeners I have today | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

"
  • Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to operate.
  • When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly 3 times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife. Bear in mind that my comments last week were born of reports of two carjackings by young black males in the Atlanta area in which guns were used.
  • If you start to delve even deeper into the statistics you will see that when you deal with the issue of interracial crime between blacks and whites you will find that blacks are the perpetrators 85% of the time while whites are responsible 15% of the time.
  • The single best indicator of violent crime in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
Racist statistics? Come on … give me a break. You have to be a complete lunatic to believe that young black males are far more likely to be engaged in criminal activity because of the color of their skin. This is a cultural problem, not a racial one. The pathetic truth is that this violence is part of urban black culture. This is a culture where women are disparaged, gangsters are idolized, and, believe it or not, mothers of young black males have been reported to have been involved in actually helping their son's decide which gang to join...

I can fully understand why some people would be eager to reject the idea that culture has anything to do with the problem of crime in the black community. After all, it is so much easier to blame it on oppression and racism. If you are a victim of racism, then it’s somebody else's fault and it is up to them to change their attitudes. But if you're a victim of your own culture then it's up to you to participate in addressing the problem and seeking the solutions."
Violence has historically been a part of Deep South culture. Back in the old days it was very common for southern Whites to have duels and people got killed that way. Back when Black people were slaves, and therefore, didn't have the freedom to go murder one another, the Deep South had the highest murder rate in the nation. Much higher than in northern cities. It was the Honor Culture of the South that was a big part of why so many murders between Whites occurred. Alot of times guns were used in this. Antebellum South Carolina was much more violent than Antebellum Massachusetts, and Massachusetts, as well as Connecticut, have been the major gun manufacturing states. Alot of this having to do with the "Culture of Honor", where if a person felt their honor was at stake, said person might go out and kill the other person. The subculture of violence came out of this. MARVIN WOLFGANG’S SUBCULTURE OF VIOLENCE THEORY

How does this apply to African-Americans? Historically, where have most African-Americans lived? In the South. Then you had the Great Migration.
African-Americans from the South took the southern culture with them. I would say if there is a subculture of violence in the Black community, alot of it has to do with the subculture of violence in the South. I might argue that this "honor culture" has manifested itself differently given other circumstances that have happened to African-Americans over the years. Perhaps this has also manifested itself this was in terms of "defending one's manhood", "respect",etc.

Another example is Chicago. There was a stream of southern White migrants from Appalachia into Chicago's Uptown district. They were described as being more violent and harder to deal with than the Black population.

From diversity to unity: Southern ... - Google Books

As for those statistics, I bet there are some things Boortz didn't mention:

-At one time it was very common for Whites to go and murder African-Americans and get away with it too. If Blacks tried the same thing, they would get lynched. This was especially so in the 1920s-1950s.

-Historically, the justice system has never really been fair. When Blacks have killed other Blacks, the attitude was often one of indifference. When Blacks killed Whites, which was rare, the consequences for it were dire, such as almost certain death penalty. If the legal system didn't get there first, a lynch mob would. Put all of this together and Black criminals have learned that they can kill other Black people with impunity. The justice system has historically been unfair with this. Chicago's African-American community had a high rate of spousal homicide during the 1920s. Why? No one cared if a Black man was abusing his Black wife. So that Black woman finds herself, as a Black woman, with no way out. What does she do next? Kill her husband. This happened alot, especially since Black women worked outside of the home alot. When women work outside of the home, many learn to quit putting up with their husbands abusing them.

Today, a Black man is more likely to do more jail time for the same crime a White person committed. There is still some bias in the justice system, statistically.

Most African-Americans who are on death row today murdered a White person.

Statically, of the demographics who are the most likely to be harmed by Black crime(especially murder) , are young African-Americans. especially men. African-American men may have a high rate of violence, but African-American men also have a high rate of VICTIMHOOD from violence. In short, as an African-American male myself, I have the highest chance of being murdered in this country.

Some more links: http://books.google.com/books?id=Oqu...istory&f=false

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deat...es-who-decides

http://thyblackman.com/2011/06/18/er...-city-reality/

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Violence has historically been a part of Deep South culture. Back in the old days it was very common for southern Whites to have duels and people got killed that way. Back when Black people were slaves, and therefore, didn't have the freedom to go murder one another, the Deep South had the highest murder rate in the nation. Much higher than in northern cities. It was the Honor Culture of the South that was a big part of why so many murders between Whites occurred. Alot of times guns were used in this. Antebellum South Carolina was much more violent than Antebellum Massachusetts, and Massachusetts, as well as Connecticut, have been the major gun manufacturing states. Alot of this having to do with the "Culture of Honor", where if a person felt their honor was at stake, said person might go out and kill the other person. The subculture of violence came out of this. MARVIN WOLFGANG’S SUBCULTURE OF VIOLENCE THEORY

How does this apply to African-Americans? Historically, where have most African-Americans lived? In the South. Then you had the Great Migration.
African-Americans from the South took the southern culture with them. I would say if there is a subculture of violence in the Black community, alot of it has to do with the subculture of violence in the South. I might argue that this "honor culture" has manifested itself differently given other circumstances that have happened to African-Americans over the years. Perhaps this has also manifested itself this was in terms of "defending one's manhood", "respect",etc.

Another example is Chicago. There was a stream of southern White migrants from Appalachia into Chicago's Uptown district. They were described as being more violent and harder to deal with than the Black population.

From diversity to unity: Southern ... - Google Books

As for those statistics, I bet there are some things Boortz didn't mention:

-At one time it was very common for Whites to go and murder African-Americans and get away with it too. If Blacks tried the same thing, they would get lynched. This was especially so in the 1920s-1950s.

-Historically, the justice system has never really been fair. When Blacks have killed other Blacks, the attitude was often one of indifference. When Blacks killed Whites, which was rare, the consequences for it were dire, such as almost certain death penalty. If the legal system didn't get there first, a lynch mob would. Put all of this together and Black criminals have learned that they can kill other Black people with impunity. The justice system has historically been unfair with this. Chicago's African-American community had a high rate of spousal homicide during the 1920s. Why? No one cared if a Black man was abusing his Black wife. So that Black woman finds herself, as a Black woman, with no way out. What does she do next? Kill her husband. This happened alot, especially since Black women worked outside of the home alot. When women work outside of the home, many learn to quit putting up with their husbands abusing them.

Today, a Black man is more likely to do more jail time for the same crime a White person committed. There is still some bias in the justice system, statistically.

Most African-Americans who are on death row today murdered a White person.

Statically, of the demographics who are the most likely to be harmed by Black crime(especially murder) , are young African-Americans. especially men. African-American men may have a high rate of violence, but African-American men also have a high rate of VICTIMHOOD from violence. In short, as an African-American male myself, I have the highest chance of being murdered in this country.

Some more links: Ebony - Google Books

The Death Penalty in Black and White: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Decides | Death Penalty Information Center

Black Males; Inner City Reality… : ThyBlackMan.com

So what is your point? History is to blame? Judicial bias is the reason the numbers are skewed 300+%? Sure that might explain some of it, but not the magnitude the numbers reflect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta