Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM

37 posts, read 166,805 times

Advertisements

Okay...I've gone back and forth for almost a year now as to whether I'm moving South or West from NJ. And...drumroll please!!!.....it's South...I have family that live in the suburbs of Atlanta and so it will make the transition out of NJ a little easier..

So within the next 6 months I should be on my way to ATL. Issues I'm having at this time are:

I dont know the city enough to be able to say which neighborhoods would fit me best but I know the TYPE of areas I like so maybe someone can give me a few suggestions?

I'm a swf - 28 - professional...

I like metro areas...city city city. I want to be where the action is. I like a great nightlife catering to upper 20's, 30's, 40's crowd. Singles, professionals, diversity. Restaurants within walking distance would be nice but not necessary..I have a car and I'm used to a commute to and from work so that's not much of an issue. I don't have a job yet but work as an Executive Assistant in NJ so I'm hoping to find the same type of work in ATL.

Rent can be up to 650 a month for my share (double if I can get a roommate). I'm willing to have a roommate to offset the cost. Any ideas are welcome. I really need to start looking and I'm just overwhelmed at all the info I've read on the city. I'm okay with transitional neighborhoods if the cost is cheaper...

Thanks so much for all the insider tips!

Kim

Last edited by Kimmaranclh; 08-16-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:31 AM

43 posts, read 258,414 times
Maybe Vinings area in Cobb county or certain areas of Buckhead. A few years ago these areas were a hot bed for young professionals. Please take at least a week long trip here and hang out in those areas to see if they suit you.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been to ATL a few times. I just haven't had much time spend in the metro area. Most of it has been in the suburbs. I've heard that Buckhead is a little bit pricey and also not a great place for a single woman to be at night...true or a little exaggerated?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,626 times
Since the Buckhead community is still an inner city community even though it is Atlanta'a "posh" district. While it has crome just like any other inner city neighborhood, I would not worry. You would be able to walk on the streets of Buckhead without being robbed or having some violent crime afflicted against you.

I would suggest moving to South Buckhead in the Lindgergh City Center. There is an apartment complex there called Uptown Square. Living there would place you within like 30-40 steps of the rain station, you would have several dining options within walking distance. There is a new club there too called Lotus, also within walking distance. Within a black and a half you have a trget, a Hi-Fi Buys, a Home Depot, discount stores like Marshalls and Ross, there is a Waffle House, a Starbucks, a piza place(Il Bacio) and sooo much more. This is ery rare in Atlana to be able to walk or bike to everything you need and have it be within a short distance from yout home. One bedroms start in the high 700s. Two bedrooms range from $930 to $1575 so if you were to get a roommate it would definately be feasible for you.

Also, the location is amazing because not only is the heart of Buckhead like 5 minutes away but via Piedmont Road you would be connected to all of the popular intown commnitites filled with people like yourself, young people who love the city. Off Piedmont heading south you will be connected to Morningside, Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands (known for great independantly owned restauants and bars), Poncey Highlands, Lake Claire, Candler Park, Edgewood, etc. Not all these neighborhoods line Piedmont Road but they are all close to Piedmont and therefore close to the live/play community you would be living in. If you could find a job in Buckhead, your life would be a dream of conviences which most Atlantan's never get to experience.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Thank you so much! Great tips for sure...it will definitely help give me some direction when I'm down there actually looking for a place.

Looking forward to the change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: