Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

I can't understand why anybody who lives in Georgia wouldn't want to to go UGA. It's a great deal on a school that's easily competitive with those just about anywhere else.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyboss View Post
I haven't posted on this site in months and after reading a few posts I had to log in. Great posts BajanYankee!

As a black man, outside of engineering and hard sciences (Stanford/MIT/GT/CT are superior), its nothing you can do at a PWI that you couldn't accomplish at a HBCU. Point being, my friend from High School chose to attend Georgetown while I chose to attend Howard. He got into Howard but, declined to go to university across town. He has spoken down on HBCUs in the past. We both have similar grades/scores (i.e. 3.8 vs. 3.7) and are in the process of applying to law school. It will be hilarious when we get into the same places.
I'm sorry but Howard is a weak school academically at least their business school. I checked them out while applying for B-school. The average Gmat score was like 450 or something. I scored 200+ points above that and it just didn't make sense to apply there after reading that stat.

The wild card in all of this is that HBCUs are well situated to market themselves as providers of diversity hires and grad school applicants.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM

51 posts, read 79,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
No it won't. You need to read up more on law school admissions. If you had a friend at Jacksonville State with similar grades and LSAT he would get into the same schools. Howard/Georgetown doesn't matter. All about the LSAT (and GPA to a lesser extent).
Yes it will. He's one of my closest friends but, he's one of those "PWI's are better than HBCU's" kind of people.

As for the other poster. Stop trolling. Its embarrassing.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyboss View Post
I haven't posted on this site in months and after reading a few posts I had to log in. Great posts BajanYankee!

As a black man, outside of engineering and hard sciences (Stanford/MIT/GT/CT are superior), its nothing you can do at a PWI that you couldn't accomplish at a HBCU. Point being, my friend from High School chose to attend Georgetown while I chose to attend Howard. He got into Howard but, declined to go to university across town. He has spoken down on HBCUs in the past. We both have similar grades/scores (i.e. 3.8 vs. 3.7) and are in the process of applying to law school. It will be hilarious when we get into the same places.

Morehouse has a joint program with Georgia Tech in engineering. You start in Morehouse and do your last year (or two?) of engineering classes with Tech. I know someone who did it. He went on to do grad school at MIT.

I used to work for an Ivy League MBA program, and they recruited the hell out of Morehouse students. I've worked in college career counseling and know a lot of recruiters. Morehouse is a prime stop for employers who want to "diversify".

Go wherever fits best for him. People make it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Like people have said, if he is smart, hard working and talented he will be fine.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM

538 posts, read 926,398 times
The used car salesman for the last car I bought was a "Morehouse Man"....

Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM

225 posts, read 369,247 times
My perception for a person going there.

First, congratulations on a wonderful son. Many parents can not say what you have told the board. I applaud you for

Secondly, as a current student at Morehouse, I can give you my perception of my current enrollment. Like your son, I too come from a predominantly white high school in Texas. However, I come from four generations of Morehouse Men. So I was raised to carry on the Morehouse Legacy of the family. So any other school was not an option. lol.

When the time had come for me to visit the school, I thought it was a cheap flimsy hell hole. I thought Morehouse College was not the money it was worth. The people in general were cool but the buildings for classrooms and dorms where not. Man those dorms from the restrooms to the rooms!!! (lol scarey) I was asked did I want to come. Of course I faked it, and said nothing was wrong with the school.

But you can never judge a book by its cover. When I finally came, my perception of Morehouse College changed completely. The first week "New Student Orientation" is like no other. This made me love the school. It taught us about brotherhood, the school legacy, what to expect, and so on. The dorms where have that bad but I did miss back home. The food was good the first two months then got very old lol.

I can go on and on but I got tired half way in explaining lol..so here I divided it into positive and negatives

Positives
Regarding Education
Ivy leagues/businesses are always recruiting on Morehouse College.
We had the C.E.O's of Macy's, Google, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, and so on.
They set up little shops for people who interested in scholarships, and internships
-Internships love Men of Morehouse
- Morehouse has some GREAT networking abilities
-Each of my family members had a job before they had graduated the house.
-The 04 graduate makes around a million dollars now w/ a philosophy degree
"even thought it not common, it still attainable"
-Many black elites still send their children there.
*I know many children of famous parents and I'm talking superstars* You wouldn't even think they were. Not flashy and are very humble.
-Many people come from all social economic backgrounds at Morehouse. (You can see much diversity in the African American community.) -
-You have SPELMAN! Your future money making intelligent african american WIFE. lol
-The school hires excellent Professors. - They have written books, conduct famous seminars, and so much more.

Negatives:
-I do not like the school costs. I believe that we do not get many of the service that PWI have but we pay a higher amount in some instances. I think there is more the school can do to control costs.
-FINANCIAL AID: THE WORST SERVICE AT THE SCHOOL. Thank god i didn't really have to go through that process.
-Some of the people. I wonder why did they get in or even apply? They do not follow the five wells at all. At least have some dignity about yourself and act like you pay 42k. for an education
-The Mean Girls of Morehouse College anthem: I hate this with a passion. Your school is GAY .. the majority of your students are Gay. Gay Gay Gay .. I think the school needs to combat that attitude against it reputation.
-A small minority have the keep up with the Jones attitude; people have to have the Mercedes, Saks fifth, jos a banks, etc. If you don't ,you get talked about. I hate that but I think its for show

But I have an attitude of "I know where I come from and it is no need for me to be flashy and showy". But in all Morehouse is a very great institution. I do not have any complaints . I am very happy here and i don't think I can get this experience anywhere. Atlanta is a very cool city and very fun. I just really enjoy it. Its great to hear people white and black congratulate me on Morehouse. Morehouse College has a very positive view in Atlanta for education.

^But one thing I notice older generations tend to be more of a congratulation and the newer generation tend to be of a "i can not do a all male school, or how do you survive at a all male school."

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
The used car salesman for the last car I bought was a "Morehouse Man"....
Could just as easily have been a Harvard man.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,407,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry but Howard is a weak school academically at least their business school. I checked them out while applying for B-school. The average Gmat score was like 450 or something. I scored 200+ points above that and it just didn't make sense to apply there after reading that stat.

The wild card in all of this is that HBCUs are well situated to market themselves as providers of diversity hires and grad school applicants.
Yet they still account for a huge percentage of all black doctors, lawyers and outright professionals. I'm sure they're doing just fine without you attending. To the OP I didn't want to put it out there but I will, asking this question to non black people will get you this result. White is right and black is inferior by default. Nevermind all of the successful people that graduated from these Universities.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,407,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm mad you even gave that troll the time of typing a response.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM

714 posts, read 814,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do you have stats to back that up? Or just angry liberalism....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta