Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM

233 posts, read 906,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Proposal would ban underwear-exposing pants | ajc.com (broken link)

This article mentioned that sagging pants is becoming a nationwide epidemic, but I thought it went out of style back in the 90's. Then again, I don't really pay attention to fashion trends.
Yes, sagging pants was more so part of the 90's with the group TLC. I remember having a pair, but I didn't have to buy them 3 or 4 sizes larger.

Unfortunately, parents aren't around like they used to be, especially in the hood. Well to speak from experience growing up in hood, many of the mother's were either on drugs, working long hours, or looking for a man. To find a home with a live-in father was slim. So, I understand where the Atlanta local government is having to step in and make a parental decision. Now, for grown azz men, they should be given a ticket starting today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
I agree they're bad. But don't legislate. What next an ordinace for those silly girls that go around making it obvious to the world or anyone who sees them up close that they're sporting a thong.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 AM

187 posts, read 918,770 times
This entire issue is a parental matter all together. Once the family structure is put back in place with firm upbringing that includes the father, than guess what? even Atlanta will not be able to legislate morality. The grown men who are engaging in this very silly practice are more than likely set in their ways, therefore we should focus on the younger generation of children and discourage this behavior.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Um, you've BEEN here, right? You've got about a 25% chance of getting a gun aimed at your own butt if you do that to a teen here.
greg,

I LIVE in the city south of I-20! I laugh all of the time at kids in saggin pants. But then again...I'm a 6'3", 230lbs. black guy.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Hypocritical as it may sound, I don't support a new law banning sagging, but I'd be OK with it if it passed. The younger generation has always worn clothing that their middle-aged parents despised and ridiculed. But showing one's butt, boxers, thongs, bustier, etc., goes too far. And if there isn't a large enough community parents and other grown men and women in Atlanta who will influence young people, then what is the rest of society supposed to do?

Maybe if enough schools, malls, and restaurants start requiring pants-above-the-butts, it might change without the need for new laws.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM

81 posts, read 270,075 times
Pirate_lafitte,

Actually, I have read many times that baggy pants got their start in prisons. One of the first things taken away from a prisoner is his belt. It can be used as a weapon against others and himself. The prison garb comes after that.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 AM

187 posts, read 918,770 times
Well Marjoriexxx I can take it even further than that. Some historians believe this practice began during slavery, when slaves were given large clothing and while in the field if they even stopped to pull up their pants or garb from picking cotton or whatever the task(s) were, they would be beaten and whipped. This is interesting in that when I view pictures of slaves, their pants are usually very large or sagging...

Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,566 times
Although I find the style repulsive I do not think there should be a ban. I believe this is another way to generate $$. A fine for wearing baggy pants, oh geez. What a joke or better yet give someone a criminal record for it. Since the 70's this country has gone downhill NOT forward.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:32 PM

77 posts, read 332,570 times
From a law enforcement prospective, baggy pants and oversized t-shirts are a danger to law enforcement. Its easier to hide a gun, knife, drugs, etc while wearing baggy pants and over-sized t-shirts. There's also something called "perp luck" where the pants don't usually fall down when their running from the police, yet if they take a step when they're not running they fall off.

However, my personal opinion on this is that there should be no law restricting personal choice. First you ban baggy shorts and exposed thongs, next you ban two piece bathing suits for women and speedos for me (which some men need not wear speedos). If you want to dress a certain way, go ahead.

Its also not just blacks. I'm as white as can be, yet I wore baggy pants back in high school. Skaters (who are mostly white) wear baggy pants, as well as the next coming of Eminem. So its not just black kids/adults, its also whites, hispanics, etc.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzz View Post

Its also not just blacks. I'm as white as can be, yet I wore baggy pants back in high school. Skaters (who are mostly white) wear baggy pants, as well as the next coming of Eminem. So its not just black kids/adults, its also whites, hispanics, etc.
Thanks for pointing that out. As for men in Speedos. Please, no. They should be banned. Just kidding. But I do remember being at the family picnic at my last job in Jersey one year when one of my friends decided to break out the Speedo brief trunks. We were actually kind of embarrassed for him that he would have the poor judgement to wear something like that around all of your co-workers and their KIDS. We got a good laugh out of it initially. I mean why not just come out in your underwear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta