Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 16,644 times

Advertisements

I've read the style started in prisons as an invitational type message. It does look pretty darned ludicrous and I believe is a much more effective way to outfit a flasher when its too hot to wear a raincoat! Talk about offensive! I would prefer as well not to be exposed to another's underwear, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 43,728 times
Default more important issues maybe???

don't we have bigger issues to fix than these sagging pants?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM

77 posts, read 332,600 times
Atlanta has too many issues for sagging pants having been considered an issue.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
A few years ago, we had an attorney as guest speaker at our church. We were told the baggy pants syndrome began in prison. It was a symbol to other guys that a guy had been sexually taken and he was not to be messed with. There was a young man walking through my neighborhood over a year ago with baggy pants on. I called to him, talked with him and asked if he knew where it started, he said yes and proceeded to tell me about the same information the attorney had shared. I agree with the person who stated, this is a job for the parents to correct, it can be done. My son is 31 years old and we have never allowed him to wear his pants like that.[/SIZE][/font]

Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,601 times
At 31, he should be old enough to make his own choices now don't you think?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 PM

187 posts, read 918,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorious7 View Post
A few years ago, we had an attorney as guest speaker at our church. We were told the baggy pants syndrome began in prison. It was a symbol to other guys that a guy had been sexually taken and he was not to be messed with. There was a young man walking through my neighborhood over a year ago with baggy pants on. I called to him, talked with him and asked if he knew where it started, he said yes and proceeded to tell me about the same information the attorney had shared. I agree with the person who stated, this is a job for the parents to correct, it can be done. My son is 31 years old and we have never allowed him to wear his pants like that.[/SIZE][/font]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
At 31, he should be old enough to make his own choices now don't you think?
I think VICTORIOUS7 meant that the values of wearing ones clothes appropriately was instilled in their son at a young age which is why at 31 he doesn't endorse should a style.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 PM

77 posts, read 332,600 times
I dressed like a skater up until I was 19 or 20 when I wanted to get into law enforcement. I cut my hair, got rid of my offensive shirts and baggy pants, and began dressing more appropriate for my age.

I went through the whole rebellious stage and my parents let me, to a point. I was allowed to wear baggy pants, but not the ones with the 40 inch wide legs. I could do what I wanted with my hair, as long as I didn't dye it a non-natural color (I went through a blonde phase and a auburn phase). All the while, my parents preached that when it was time to get a job/career, I would have to change. I understood that. I was messed with enough just for the way I dressed that I knew that appearances were everything. Most people don't realize that.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
I think VICTORIOUS7 meant that the values of wearing ones clothes appropriately was instilled in their son at a young age which is why at 31 he doesn't endorse should a style.
My dry British sense of humour I'm afraid.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
I don't mean to be an alarmist here, but isn't this just another attenpt to restrict our civil liberties and deflect our attention from more pertinent issues? Yes, it looks idiotic to wear your pants so loose that you have to constantly hold them up with one hand. But as free Americans we have the right to look as stupid as we want, as long as nobody gets hurt in the process. What's next, mandated civic uniforms?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 AM

7 posts, read 30,072 times
Default saggy pants-good riddance

The saggy pants fashion is a sad reminder of how far ignorance can go. I am considering moving to Atlanta and I've gotta tell you, last night (after reading a lot of postings on City-Data) I had trouble sleeping. I live in North Carolina and I moved here from MD thinking life would be better for me. On the first day of school, my then 13 year old 5 foot son, 8th grader, was beat almost unconscious by a 16 year old 8th grader because he was quote "trying to act white." My son loves to read, an honor student, and all around decent kid. We would shop at Ab-Fitch, Aero, PAC Sun, Target, even Walmart. He didn't care if his shoes came from Payless, as long as he liked them. After the incident, my son started wanting to wear baggy clothes and what I call "ghetto gear." He later confided to me that he was being teased, called gay, boys would squeeze his rear in the hallway because of his clothes. I was very angry for a long time.

I don't get upset about the confederate flags, no one wearing that flag has made an attempt to harm me or my children. The white kids never called my son out of his name, they accepted him with open arms, he has spent the night with several of his friends. So if they ban the saggy pants, it might help. But what needs to occur is an education process that tells our lost young men (and the mamas and daddies that BUY their clothing) that looking like a thug is not cute or productive. AND that thug life and ghetto life isn't wonderful and synonymous with being black.

All I really want is someplace to raise my children, contribute to my community, retire and live my life in peace. It saddens me that everywhere I go it's the same thing. Crime, traffic, and ignorant people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta