Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I was waiting for some one to mention social programs. Is it really that hard for black people as a whole to thrive in a capitalist society?
Hmmm, roughly a 500 word post in which social programs are mentioned in one sentence and you pounced on it as though nothing else was said. *sigh*

Bottom line, black people vote with their economic interests. Republicans are anti-union. Union jobs built the black middle class. Republicans are anti-public education. Public education helped build the black middle class. Republicans are for a tax structure that favors those who earn their money from capital gains over those who make their money from wages. Most black people make their money from wages. Unlike many social conservatives most blacks are not willing to be lured into voting against their own economic interests. IMO the most "brainwashed" folk out there are the ones who vote Republican on social issues that have no impact on their own lives while ignoring the way Republicans have set up an economic policy that undermines all but their favored demographic.

Then you factor in the racist polemic that surrounds much of Republican politics and for the life of me I can't imagine why any black person who isn't wealthy would ever vote for the Republicans. Next.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I was waiting for some one to mention social programs. Is it really that hard for black people as a whole to thrive in a capitalist society?
When you consider the fact that Western capitalism was created by and for wealthy White male landowners on the backs of slaves and indentured servants and that the basic framework of this really hasn't changed for about 400 years...then yeah, it really can be that hard. But then I'd also say that it would be easier had it not been for things like desegregation, urban renewal, and the like.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I didn't think y'all were talking strictly media presence. You know I had to check, but your list is rather accurate, except for Houston and Dallas being marginalized as "the others". Houston has already surpassed the 1 million mark of blacks in the metro, and DFW will be there soon enough. Neither city is big in the media for any demographic, but that doesn't mean they aren't highly significant to black culture.

Even still, Houston gave the world a person who's arguably the most significant black pop culture icon of the past ten years.
I know I just got lazy, Believe me Houston and Dallas was coming up.

Beyonce?

I was watching that documentary of Chicago "it was long but very interesting I advise everyone to watch it" But they brought up Oprah being a media mogul. I know some people have criticism of Tyler Perry "and I don't want to debate that" but with the rate Tyler is gaining I believe he would become the next black billionaire. He's already ranked 10th among African Americans. I wouldn't be surprise.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I know I just got lazy, Believe me Houston and Dallas was coming up.

Beyonce?

I was watching that documentary of Chicago "it was long but very interesting I advise everyone to watch it" But they brought up Oprah being a media mogul. I know some people have criticism of Tyler Perry "and I don't want to debate that" but with the rate Tyler is gaining I believe he would become the next black billionaire. He's already ranked 10th among African Americans. I wouldn't be surprise.
It's still hard to believe how popular Tyler Perry has become. It seems like just not too long ago that I was watching his play on VHS and barely anybody knew who he was. Lol.

He's a powerful man, so needs to start using it doing something else.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM

369 posts, read 657,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It’s hearsay when you do not know the facts. Oil plays a large part in the Texas economy, more so than most other states in this nation. Thus, just as the Middle East benefits when the price of oil rises high, so does the economy of Texas, regardless of how diversified their economy may be. There is nothing hearsay about that. If one lives in America, and is an adult, and think that the link between Texas and oil is just hearsay…….well…..That’s like thinking that it is hearsay to say that there is a link between Michigan and the auto industry….but I guess if one does not know the details of Michigan’s or Texas economies…..everything they hear about it is reduced to hearsay.
It’s hearsay when your knowledge hasn't been updated in the last 30 years. I guess Detroit is still poppin in the music industry with Motown?

Ever heard of Dell, Texas Instruments, AT&T? The Texas economy is a lot more diverse than you remember.

The continued population exodus out of California last year reported over 130,000 people leaving the state. Guess where approximately 74,000 of them went? Yup, Texas! And I'm pretty sure most of them weren't searching for oil jobs. It wasn't your compadres either "revitalizing economies", it was upper middle class folks tired of the anti-business climate and tax and spend liberal laws of California driving up expenses. California is on the fast-track to third world status (some parts are there already). And ironically California isn't being "revitalized" by illegal aliens considering it has one of the top three if not the worst economy in nation.

Quote:
When you say that immigration has not helped, I assume you mean that it has not created an increase in GDP in these states. Well, suppose that you had a wad of 20 dollar bills totaling several thousand dollars and the clip broke and your money fell in the street and was blowing away. Now say those some good Samaritans seen what happened and helped gather some of the money and returned it to you. While it’s true that you lost money, you lost less money than you would have if the good Samaritans had not returned the money to you. The point is that something can actually help lessen how bad something is even if it does not eliminate it from being negative; it can mitigate the negativity, in other words. Immigration has boosted many cities and states either by mitigating losses or helping to increase or produce actual gains.

The country was built on immigration, once they milked all they could out of slavery.
Back to reality...

No, I mean the quality of life has deteriorated and the burden on schools and jurisdictional budgets has increased exponentially. It is not an economic advantage especially with all other variables constant. You obviously don't live in such a place where you can see the affects. Those areas populated by illegal aliens are the least desirable.

You haven't provided any evidence so once again its hearsay. Check out Illegal Immigration Statistics for facts. It's interesting how state deficits are approximate to the amount spent on illegal aliens.

The country was built on immigration and slavery but not illegal immigration. At least immigrants of the past and those here legally went through the proper channels and followed the law. That's what Ellis Island and other gateways were setup for.

You're discrediting the efforts of everyone else in the country and their contributions to the economy.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't think there should be any debate. Ny city is the city and metropolitan center of black culture. The south is the regional center of black culture. One can debate back and forth about DC vs ATL....or Chicago....for who ranks second.....but NY is hands down the champion....even if it is declining while contenders are rising....it still holds the title.

Atlanta to me is like a 6 feet tall fifth grader. Yeah....its gotten big in regards to blackness......but its not MATURE. It just grew fast and although it has the size and is bigger than a lot of the more mature black centers, it has not even experienced puberty. All Atlanta really has right now is size but it has not existed long enough at the size to have the coordination and power of more mature areas of the country thas has had over a milion black people for several decades.
You know you set yourself up for that one. Evidence please.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Look….I know all about Atlanta’s history and it’s prominence during certain eras of US history. It was the center for civil rights……post WWII and nothing will ever take that away. However, I cannot use that as the bases for saying that it is currently the center of black culture, or second, any more than I can use Motown to say that Detroit is first or second in black culture.

The salient point that people need to recognize is that the center of power and cultural influence in America has been the North…..and still is the North…..or should I say…..it’s NOT the south. The West Coast and the North still has the most cultural influence on this nation. Hence, that influence transfers to the black population centers up North and out West. Being in the centers of culture, power, media and influence really establishes a transference to blacks that does not exist to the same degree in the South, because the South is not the center of power in this nation. Is that changing, yes, it has been as more people moved to the South but the South is still looked upon as inferior to the North with vestiges of backwardness. Yes....I have heard of CNN.

Chicago has the Nation of Islam and Jesse Jacksons Rainbow Coalition and New York has Al Sharptons organization. Chicago also has the O network and the city of Chicago plays strong in national elections. Blacks in the South are neutered by being in red states. They yield no power and influence in national elections because Republicans always win. The black vote up North plays a very prominent role in deciding outcomes of national elections. Hence, political and economic power is more prominent up North than in the South for black people.
What is the O Network?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM

714 posts, read 813,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When you consider the fact that Western capitalism was created by and for wealthy White male landowners on the backs of slaves and indentured servants and that the basic framework of this really hasn't changed for about 400 years...then yeah, it really can be that hard. But then I'd also say that it would be easier had it not been for things like desegregation, urban renewal, and the like.
Hasnt changed in 400 years? Oh. Dear. Lord. And you wonder why white folks feel the way they do about race....

If not for the "wealthy white male landowners" (how did they get wealthy in the first place, you know, to build the boats and pay for the long voyages that were required to gather the slaves, I wonder? Hmmmm)

Recently saw a show that took place in Madagascar, a large island off Africa. Really, nothing has changed there in hundreds if not thousands of years. Things like refrigeration are still unknown. Surely, the entire world, including the poor downtrodden minorities, would be better off had the wealthy white man not had the wherewithal to drive the advance and modernization of society to where we are now, right? I mean, the white male has been a completely and purely negative influence on the world, correct? In fact, without the white man, folks from Africa would have developed the computer, the car, airplane, mobile phones, space travel, etc., had the wealthy white man not inteferred with them doing so. Damn evil whitey, net net, he has had a hugely negative influence on the entire world!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Hasnt changed in 400 years? Oh. Dear. Lord. And you wonder why white folks feel the way they do about race....

If not for the "wealthy white male landowners" (how did they get wealthy in the first place, you know, to build the boats and pay for the long voyages that were required to gather the slaves, I wonder? Hmmmm)

Recently saw a show that took place in Madagascar, a large island off Africa. Really, nothing has changed there in hundreds if not thousands of years. Things like refrigeration are still unknown. Surely, the entire world, including the poor downtrodden minorities, would be better off had the wealthy white man not had the wherewithal to drive the advance and modernization of society to where we are now, right? I mean, the white male has been a completely and purely negative influence on the world, correct? In fact, without the white man, folks from Africa would have developed the computer, the car, airplane, mobile phones, space travel, etc., had the wealthy white man not inteferred with them doing so. Damn evil whitey, net net, he has had a hugely negative influence on the entire world!
How do you know he is from Madagascar? Man that's racist.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM

714 posts, read 813,750 times
Quote:
How do you know he is from Madagascar? Man that's racist.
I never said HE was from Madagascar. I just used Madagascar as an example of where the white man has not "colonized" or had a large influence - and the result is a black person society that hasnt moved beyond where it was 2000 years ago.

So, if evil rcih whitey has kept the black man down, unfairly so, for the last 400 years in the US, what, exactly and specifically, is holding the black man back in Madagascar? Seems to me if the theory is that the only reason blacks trail whitey is because whitey is racist and has stunted their progres, then a place where whitey doensnt have sway or influence would be a model of forward progress of wealthy black men who were not placed under whitey's yolk.

Yet, that clearly isnt the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta