Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Correction; I live in ATL AND NYC, so let me go in.....
Uptown fake ballers...lotta them in the "New Harlem", East Village i.e Upper and Lower Manhattan, all the outer boroughs as well.

Fake ballers everywhere my dude....Chi-Town, DC/Bmore/VA, NYC, ATL, Mia, L.A., H-Town, Dallas...you name, they have em...so please lets stop trying to JUST call out ATL...
I don't think there should be any debate. Ny city is the city and metropolitan center of black culture. The south is the regional center of black culture. One can debate back and forth about DC vs ATL....or Chicago....for who ranks second.....but NY is hands down the champion....even if it is declining while contenders are rising....it still holds the title.

Atlanta to me is like a 6 feet tall fifth grader. Yeah....its gotten big in regards to blackness......but its not MATURE. It just grew fast and although it has the size and is bigger than a lot of the more mature black centers, it has not even experienced puberty. All Atlanta really has right now is size but it has not existed long enough at the size to have the coordination and power of more mature areas of the country thas has had over a milion black people for several decades.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't think there should be any debate. Ny city is the city and metropolitan center of black culture. The south is the regional center of black culture. One can debate back and forth about DC vs ATL....or Chicago....for who ranks second.....but NY is hands down the champion....even if it is declining while contenders are rising....it still holds the title.

Atlanta to me is like a 6 feet tall fifth grader. Yeah....its gotten big in regards to blackness......but its not MATURE. It just grew fast and although it has the size and is bigger than a lot of the more mature black centers, it has not even experienced puberty. All Atlanta really has right now is size but it has not existed long enough at the size to have the coordination and power of more mature areas of the country thas has had over a milion black people for several decades.
Yeah, Atlanta's black community hasn't been around long enough and has never done anything important:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...%E2%80%931968)

SMH

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,124 times
Quote:
Thats my point. The point where alternatives become economically feasible is at a high price point for consumers. When gas 10 dollars a gallon, in constant todays dollars, other forms and sources become competitive alternatives because the extraction and production cost are so high. However, at 10 collars a gallon the price will have already devasted the global economy and trade.
You know that won't just happen at once. We won't wake up one day and go " hey gas is $10 a gallon, we better find other resources". The higher it gets the more motivation we get to get alternatives. It will be a evolving/ transitional process.

Last edited by muxBuppie; 12-05-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
Welcome to Tyler Perry's Atlanta

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Have y'all seen the documentary DuSable to Obama: Chicago's Black Metropolis?

It makes a pretty powerful case for Chicago as the epicenter of black culture.

Video: DuSable to Obama: Chicago's Black Metropolis | Watch WTTW Documentaries Online | WTTW11 Video

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, Atlanta's black community hasn't been around long enough and has never done anything important:

African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955

SMH
Thats not what I said.....so please do not paraphrase with a straw man. I know all about Altanta's history but Atlanta gained over half its black population in the last 25 years....while others have had over a million 25 years ago.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Have y'all seen the documentary DuSable to Obama: Chicago's Black Metropolis?

It makes a pretty powerful case for Chicago as the epicenter of black culture.

Video: DuSable to Obama: Chicago's Black Metropolis | Watch WTTW Documentaries Online | WTTW11 Video
Yeah....I did not want to show any regional bias......but the fact that Chicago was left out the debate is ludicrous...and not the the ATL version of the word.....lol. It's my own personal opinion that Chicago is the second city when it comes to black culture.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Thats not what I said.....so please do not paraphrase with a straw man. I know all about Altanta's history but Atlanta gained over half its black population in the last 25 years....while others have had over a million 25 years ago.
Well, you didn't specify that. Combining the two though, I think your comment is still off base. Atlanta's "black power center" has been around a long time and really began forming in the early part of the 20th century with the synergy of activism and intellectualism at the AUC and the economic brokerage of Sweet Auburn. The "bones" of a mature African-American community is already here and the only change is that Atlanta has seen a enormous amount of growth over the last 30 years...all thanks to the community that was in place here already that made such a thing possible.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
25 years ago, Atlanta had as much black people as New Orleans, and Memphis did. All 3 are significant in African American history.

Just because Atlanta black population more than double in the last 25 years doesn't mean Atlanta's African American history isn't significant, I just literally pointed out on the other page, Atlanta was the headquarters of many civil right groups during the 50s and 60s. Atlanta has more HBCU's than any other metropolitan area. Since you know Atlanta history well you should know about Web du bois and Booker T Washington relation to Atlanta. Alonzo Herndon was one of the first black millionaire, The "Atlanta Daily World" was first major African American news papers. Sweet Auburn is one the most important black neighborhoods in African American history.

Quote:
Yeah....I did not want to show any regional bias......but the fact that Chicago was left out the debate is ludicrous...and not the the ATL version of the word.....lol. It's my own personal opinion that Chicago is the second city when it comes to black culture.
I believe it was second before the last decade, now.

New York
Atlanta
Chicago
DC
LA
Detroit-Philly-New Orleans-The Bay
the rest

Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM

864 posts, read 1,124,124 times
Aren't most of the blacks in Chicago on the South Side which is a very ghetto and dangerous are? Even MLK thought Chicago was the most segregated city he had ever been in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta