Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
You said Atlanta not the Atlanta area, I guess that's where the confusion came in. That's the difference between there and the D.C. area which is highly divided in more ways than one.
You don't think black people in Atlanta are "divided?" Atlanta has the same class issues as anywhere else. Stop trippin.

Quote:
Ok D.C. may have a more higher educated group of Blacks with degrees etc than Atlanta (although I think Atlanta has a more entrepreneurial aspect) but it still not enough to for them to cluster into a high end neighborhood.
I'm not sure what you mean by "high end." No, there is no black equivalent of Chevy Chase in the District (or anywhere in the world for that matter). But you do have some pretty cool "transitional" enclaves around Howard (specifically Ledroit Park, Bloomingdale and Eckington) where buppies tend to gravitate. You can walk down the street and see plenty of cars with "Stanford Black Alumni" or "Howard School of Medicine" decals.

Quote:
That seems to only exist in Prince George's County whether or not Ms. Jenkins and her Husband are the typical set. I think you underestimate some areas in Bowie, Upper Marlboro and Ft. Washington.
You're talking about families, which is a totally different story. A single, attractive black woman making six figures is not going to buy a house way out in Ft. Washington. I think your perspective may be limited if you grew up in P.G. County and have little exposure to the professional black network here.

Quote:
And not all schools in Prince George's suck, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Bowie schools rank higher than Gaithersburg and some other Montgomery County and Fairfax County schools so highly regarded around the nation.
They don't ALL suck. But Montgomery and Fairfax schools are much better.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That guy is delusional, the entire slant of his argument is hilarious. And that example he used of Mr. and Ms. Jenkins is not the typical PG County family. He just wants us to think it is. I have an aunt and an uncle in PG, my uncle is retired AF, and my aunt works at the Ritz Carlton in DC f/t, and also works at the Pets Smart off of St. Barnabus p/t. They're not poor, but they're not some prestigious doctor and lawyer couple either, I mean if they were then my aunt wouldn't have to work two jobs. PG is mostly good hard working middle class folks, not really different from Dekalb County. Actually I think Ft Washington looks a lot like Stone Mountain. And to act like DC is full of "haute culture blacks" while Atlanta is full of "rap video black" is laughable at best. There are just as many dudes in DC and the DMV as a whole who are ghetto, flashy, and just overall not anything like the type of people this guy is talking about as there are in Atlanta. You want to talk about rims and flashy cars, I'll give him that. That's more about southern culture than anything. DC dudes are just as flashy but they put in on their backs. And to act like all the dudes in DC are on some "lets go to the art gallery today and get some culture" tip is just absurd. DC and the DMV are full of dudes who don't have a pot to **** in, but they have 5 North Face jackets in the closet, every color of Nike Foamposites or ACG's that comes out, whatever street brand is hot at the moment, all the while driving a busted @ss Caddy or Crown Victoria. I have nothing against DC, actually DC is by far my favorite city besides Atlanta, I go there every chance I get. But for him to act like it's something that it's not is
You didn't read anything I wrote. What are the jobs in Atlanta that are going to draw in the most educated blacks? Tell me. What are they? In pretty much every industry, DC destroys Atlanta (unless we're talking about the music industry, which again, attracts more ninjas than buppies). It's not even close. Atlanta is great for a single mother looking to escape Harlem and get a whole house for what she used to pay in rent every month. And that's a good thing. But Atlanta is not drawing in the type of black talent that DC is because it simply doesn't have the industry and the institutions. DC has a much more specialized, highly-skilled job workforce than Atlanta, period. And a stronger affinity for "high culture" comes along with that.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You didn't read anything I wrote. What are the jobs in Atlanta that are going to draw in the most educated blacks? Tell me. What are they? In pretty much every industry, DC destroys Atlanta (unless we're talking about the music industry, which again, attracts more ninjas than buppies). It's not even close. Atlanta is great for a single mother looking to escape Harlem and get a whole house for what she used to pay in rent every month. And that's a good thing. But Atlanta is not drawing in the type of black talent that DC is because it simply doesn't have the industry and the institutions. DC has a much more specialized, highly-skilled job workforce than Atlanta, period. And a stronger affinity for "high culture" comes along with that.

You're right, after going back and re-reading your post I see what you were talking about. But even still, the point still remains, what exactly are you trying to say? DC has more jobs and industry than pretty much any city than the entire country right now. The simple fact DC is the nations capitol and has hella gov't jobs, and hella gov't related jobs makes it recession proof. So that really isn't saying anything about black people in the DMV in of itself, because outside of the slaves who built the White House 2 centuries ago, the "haute culture of blacks" as you call it in DC isn't the reason DC is recession proof. All your doing is talking sh*t from the porch to the field hands, when all the while the only reason you're on the porch is because Massa put you there. At the end of the day you're in the same boat as everybody else. Atlanta is self made, this city is full of hustlers, not people who wanted to take the easy way out and get a guaranteed ticket aka a gov't job. And even still where is this abundance of "haute culture" of black people in DC??? Because I see a lot more of the dread locked, North Face and Spyder jacket with a Solbiato beanie wearing black dudes in DC than I do some dude in a suit going to work. Sure DC has those 9-5 types, but so does Atlanta, I really don't see a difference between the two. You're acting like Atlanta is full of walking extra's from a Gucci Mane video, and I'm like there are just as many square 9-5 type dudes in Atlanta as there are in DC. Just like how there are just as many hood @ss no job, 2 gram blunts for breakfast smoking, making 10K a year but acting like they make 100K a year dudes in Atlanta as there is in DC. Get real fam, you sound silly acting like DC is just some shining beacon of "haute black culture" as you call it.

But yo Ima let you in on a little secret....these white folks is laughing at all of us...me and you...black people as a whole, we all have issues, DC, ATL, MIA, NYC, LA, Chicago, Bmore, whereever take your pick......

Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
And I see this argument is revolving around DC vs Atlanta, but yet you're from NYC. Let's talk about blacks in NYC, because from where I sit blacks in NYC may have raw numbers just off NYC being such a bigger city than everybody else. But do blacks as a whole get money in NYC? Not quite fam, outside of the West Indian blacks, most American blacks in NYC are pretty broke.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,009 times
Quote:
You do realize that Atlanta is like a poor man's New York, right? Atlanta is full of NYC transplants. Your last mayor was a Philly girl.

I was talking about Atlanta generally rather than Atlanta city proper. That's because you guys don't have iron-clad distinctions between the city and the metro area like NYC (or even DC) does. When people say, "New York City," that excludes NJ, LI, and CT. But when people say "Atlanta," that does not implicitly exclude Lithonia, Norcross and College Park.

When did I ever say DC didn't have poor people? I did say that DC (perhaps in other threads) has more buppies than Atlanta. And that's because there are simply more jobs here (especially jobs that require a Master's Degree or above). There are more IT firms in the area. More law firms in the area. Howard produces more black doctors and dentists than any other school in the U.S. and naturally many of its graduates stay local. There are way more think tanks here. More NGOs. Then you have the Congressional Black Caucus and its various advocacy group offshoots like the PLI, the CBCF and the CBCI. Then every major investment institution has a presence here (whether it's operational or just a lobbying group). I almost forgot to mention the diplomatic presence. All those people working in the Barbadian, Jamaican, Trinidadian, Nigerian, and the South African embassies are virtually all black. There's also the huge media presence with the Washington Post, Reuters, the AP and the New York Times. There are just way more "knowledge" jobs in DC and the black people qualified to fill them are way more likely to move to DC over Atlanta.

Then there are the Mary Jenkins of the world who work as secretaries for law firms or the government and make $80K a year. Her husband has some GS-12/13 job at Labor and makes around $90K. This is the typical household living in Prince George's County. There are some some doctors and the like in P.G. County, but they mostly end up in Silver Spring because the schools in PG suck balls.

In summary, DC has way more of the first group than Atlanta does. With regard to the second group, the numbers are probably about the same. Both cities have a large black underclass.

The only city that's really more dynamic than DC (from the black perspective) is NYC. You really will catch two black ballet dancers coming from practice speaking Swedish to each other.
Did this dude just say a family making 170k a year is just middle class?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,009 times
Quote:

But yo Ima let you in on a little secret....these white folks is laughing at all of us...me and you...black people as a whole, we all have issues, DC, ATL, MIA, NYC, LA, Chicago, Bmore, whereever take your pick......
I wonder what the white people in this forum think of this thread.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
And I see this argument is revolving around DC vs Atlanta, but yet you're from NYC. Let's talk about blacks in NYC, because from where I sit blacks in NYC may have raw numbers just off NYC being such a bigger city than everybody else. But do blacks as a whole get money in NYC? Not quite fam, outside of the West Indian blacks, most American blacks in NYC are pretty broke.
Huh? Black is black. There are more educated blacks in NYC so of course they're getting money. It's not like Atlanta where anybody can be a fake baller.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Huh? Black is black. There are more educated blacks in NYC so of course they're getting money. It's not like Atlanta where anybody can be a fake baller.

HA! The only one flinging around insults is this cat. This dude mad. What's wrong you mad because you came here and everybody wasn't on your jock like those dudes in North Carolina with their NYC suck fest?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You're right, after going back and re-reading your post I see what you were talking about. But even still, the point still remains, what exactly are you trying to say?
My point is basically this.

If we're going to ordain any city as the "Black Mecca," I'm more inclined to give it to DC because cats there are really making moves.

When you're a powerbroker working with high-level members of the FTC and the Antitrust Division to clear a deal between Exxon and a Nigerian energy provider, you're doing it big. When I go to a happy hour and meet a sista who finished with top honors at Yale and gives oral arguments before the Supreme Court, I'm impressed. When I meet a group of brothers, two of whom were Rhodes Scholars, who have started their own consulting firm where they travel to Africa and Eastern bloc countries to meet with clients, yeah, I'm impressed. When I meet a chick at a house party, and then see her name above a column in the New York Times the next day, I'm impressed. You're not going to be have the same type of exposure to those types of people living in Atlanta. That's why I consider DC to be the "mecca," at least over Atlanta.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 PM

369 posts, read 657,441 times
Quote:
You don't think black people in Atlanta are "divided?" Atlanta has the same class issues as anywhere else. Stop trippin.
that's the part I don't think you understand about the D.C. area, it doesn't end at race, the jurisdictions themselves are highly divided.

You should know by now if you spent any significant time in the area that the East-West Divide is alive and well. Montgomery and Fairfax are arch-rivals (even if one seems to want to play it off). D.C. constantly sticks its nose up in the air at Maryland and in particular Prince George's, and it's crazy cause who's land are they sitting their asses on?

The nasty things that Fenty officials told me about what they thought about Maryland in conversation was so juvenile, I couldn't believe it. not that Gray is so much better but I'm so glad Fenty is gone.

When National Harbor opened you could hear and read the nasty things D.C. government was saying about it, especially when the awakening sculpture left from D.C. for Prince George's. D.C. gov cried and complained and was so angry and vengeful yet they have no problem with an airforce memorial being built in Arlington, Va instead of D.C. D.c. was so scared of Gaylord National and how it would hurt its convention business, why not embrace it and congratulate PG on a job well done?

The federal gov is bias, the washington post is bias, gannett and wusa tv9 is bias (DVM instead of DMV really?). They all give Maryland the short end of the stick or want to always push negative news about it.

Washington post has been crying for the downfall of National Harbor before it opened and why does the federal government lease more Class A office space in a two square mile city like Falls Church, Va than all of Prince George's? Look at the crappy federal agencies PG gets.

The entire D.C. area owes its existence to Maryland, but why is it being played?

The area will never be a united, they are three separate states essentially competing with each other, it was a horrible idea and experiment.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "high end." No, there is no black equivalent of Chevy Chase in the District (or anywhere in the world for that matter). But you do have some pretty cool "transitional" enclaves around Howard (specifically Ledroit Park, Bloomingdale and Eckington) where buppies tend to gravitate. You can walk down the street and see plenty of cars with "Stanford Black Alumni" or "Howard School of Medicine" decals.
Exactly what I expected you to say! So you're talking about Ledroit Park, Bloomingdale and Eckington? They have some of the most beautiful row houses in the city but transitional indeed, there isn't much development there and it is a little shady. IMO I'd rather live in downtown Silver Spring although the proximity of those Howard University neighborhoods to U street are a plus.

Howard University needs to up its game and so do the Alumni, the city also needs to stop playin and invest in Howard which has done so much for the city. They really need a new hospital. Part of the problem is that Howard is so centered towards academia instead of the entrepreneur. Doctors and Dentists are nice but they need more Business men and women. That's why Hampton has a larger endowment than Howard. Howard needs to start spinning out companies and transferring technology.

We need to get passed working for other people and that's what D.C. seems to be about.

Quote:
You're talking about families, which is a totally different story. A single, attractive black woman making six figures is not going to buy a house way out in Ft. Washington. I think your perspective may be limited if you grew up in P.G. County and have little exposure to the professional black network here.
I have seen it all, what I'm saying is that the reverse is true for D.C. versus Prince George's, you have a lot of wealthy Blacks in Prince George's and less low income people, while the reverse is true of D.C. proper regardless if they have a family or are single. But most likely young buppies will be renting, and if they are paying some ridiculous rent just to have a D.C. address I am not impressed.

Quote:
They don't ALL suck. But Montgomery and Fairfax schools are much better.
The only reason why Montgomery and Fairfax schools are so highly regarded is because the good ones are in wealthy areas. Is it any coincidence that Bethesda Chevy Chase does better than Gaithersburg? It's because rich mommy and daddy can get that extra help for Bobby from a tutor. Montgomery spends over $2 billion or half the county budget on schools, what a waste!

Fairfax is horrible at teaching minority students, just read the report on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta