Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times

Advertisements

Look….I know all about Atlanta’s history and it’s prominence during certain eras of US history. It was the center for civil rights……post WWII and nothing will ever take that away. However, I cannot use that as the bases for saying that it is currently the center of black culture, or second, any more than I can use Motown to say that Detroit is first or second in black culture.

The salient point that people need to recognize is that the center of power and cultural influence in America has been the North…..and still is the North…..or should I say…..it’s NOT the south. The West Coast and the North still has the most cultural influence on this nation. Hence, that influence transfers to the black population centers up North and out West. Being in the centers of culture, power, media and influence really establishes a transference to blacks that does not exist to the same degree in the South, because the South is not the center of power in this nation. Is that changing, yes, it has been as more people moved to the South but the South is still looked upon as inferior to the North with vestiges of backwardness. Yes....I have heard of CNN.

Chicago has the Nation of Islam and Jesse Jacksons Rainbow Coalition and New York has Al Sharptons organization. Chicago also has the O network and the city of Chicago plays strong in national elections. Blacks in the South are neutered by being in red states. They yield no power and influence in national elections because Republicans always win. The black vote up North plays a very prominent role in deciding outcomes of national elections. Hence, political and economic power is more prominent up North than in the South for black people.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Look….I know all about Atlanta’s history and it’s prominence during certain eras of US history. It was the center for civil rights……post WWII and nothing will ever take that away. However, I cannot use that as the bases for saying that it is currently the center of black culture, or second, any more than I can use Motown to say that Detroit is first or second in black culture.

The salient point that people need to recognize is that the center of power and cultural influence in America has been the North…..and still is the North…..or should I say…..it’s NOT the south. The West Coast and the North still has the most cultural influence on this nation. Hence, that influence transfers to the black population centers up North and out West. Being in the centers of culture, power, media and influence really establishes a transference to blacks that does not exist to the same degree in the South, because the South is not the center of power in this nation. Is that changing, yes, it has been as more people moved to the South but the South is still looked upon as inferior to the North with vestiges of backwardness. Yes....I have heard of CNN.

Chicago has the Nation of Islam and Jesse Jacksons Rainbow Coalition and New York has Al Sharptons organization. Chicago also has the O network and the city of Chicago plays strong in national elections. Blacks in the South are neutered by being in red states. They yield no power and influence in national elections because Republicans always win. The black vote up North plays a very prominent role in deciding outcomes of national elections. Hence, political and economic power is more prominent up North than in the South for black people.
So blacks don't vote republican now?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
So blacks don't vote republican now?
More hyperbole. The republican vote for blacks is insignificant. Rebublicans do not need the black republican vote, especially in the South, for victory. Hence, you have no leverage with the party when they can win without you. The democrats depend on the black vote for their margin of victory.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
More hyperbole. The republican vote for blacks is insignificant. Rebublicans do not need the black republican vote, especially in the South, for victory. Hence, you have no leverage with the party when they can win without you. The democrats depend on the black vote for their margin of victory.
This assumes blacks are all one monolith and all think alike and have the same believes and desires. That is not the case. Most blacks that vote democrat vote that way becuase they think they are supposed to. Many of us would be independents if we thought about it.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
This assumes blacks are all one monolith and all think alike and have the same believes and desires. That is not the case. Most blacks that vote democrat vote that way becuase they think they are supposed to. Many of us would be independents if we thought about it.
I can't tell you how many times I have debates with people that resort to the absence of absolutism as a means to refute an assertion. In other words, if say it’s cold in Michigan in January......some devil’s advocate will look up the history of Michigan winters to find a warm day in January and say "SEE.....there was a warm January day in Michigan in 1975.....so I proved your assertion wrong".

You have fallaciously attempted to refute the general rule with the exception to the rule.....with your straw man assertion that I am arguing that black people in general, and the black electorate in particular, behaves as or is a monolith. I said no such thing and my assertions validity is in no way dependent upon 100% conformity to be valid. I am simply stating the general rule and you are trying to refute it with small exceptions to the rule.

Finally, I am not talking about "What IF". I am talking about "What IS". You are talking about "what if black people think....then more would be independent." That is a pompous statement that assumes that you are the only thinking Negro, assuming you are black, and the rest of black folks are just mindless zombies. Maybe the 90% are the thinking class and you are the mindless voter. The fact is that 90% blacks, or about, has voted for the Democratic Party the last several elections. There is no "IF"....it is what it "IS".

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

I believe it was second before the last decade, now.

New York
Atlanta
Chicago
DC
LA
Detroit-Philly-New Orleans-The Bay
the rest
Before I jump on you about how inaccurate this might be, what is this list ranking, again?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I have debates with people that resort to the absence of absolutism as a means to refute an assertion. In other words, if say it’s cold in Michigan in January......some devil’s advocate will look up the history of Michigan winters to find a warm day in January and say "SEE.....there was a warm January day in Michigan in 1975.....so I proved your assertion wrong".

You have fallaciously attempted to refute the general rule with the exception to the rule.....with your straw man assertion that I am arguing that black people in general, and the black electorate in particular, behaves as or is a monolith. I said no such thing and my assertions validity is in no way dependent upon 100% conformity to be valid. I am simply stating the general rule and you are trying to refute it with small exceptions to the rule.

Finally, I am not talking about "What IF". I am talking about "What IS". You are talking about "what if black people think....then more would be independent." That is a pompous statement that assumes that you are the only thinking Negro, assuming you are black, and the rest of black folks are just mindless zombies. Maybe the 90% are the thinking class and you are the mindless voter. The fact is that 90% blacks, or about, has voted for the Democratic Party the last several elections. There is no "IF"....it is what it "IS".
It's all superficial, so is it really benefiting us to all vote for the same party like you claim it somehow has? I mean, have the Democrats really helped black people?

Even Hermain Cain interviewed black southern baptist pastors and many of them have the same beliefs he does but they didn't even know those beliefs didn't align with democrats.

Why Herman Cain Can Inspire the Black Vote - International Business Times

Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Even Hermain Cain interviewed black southern baptist pastors and many of them have the same beliefs he does but they didn't even know those beliefs didn't align with democrats.
The brain-washing of the black electorate into believing that DEMOCRATS and ONLY DEMOCRATS can be trusted to look out for their interests is one of the most despicable cons in all of American politics: How did a party that didn’t even welcome blacks until 1924 become the exclusive party of blacks (and liberal whites) today? It's in the best interest of democratic candidates both black AND white to maintain a large, under-educated welfare class of BLACK voters ... and they'll say any lie to do it.

FactCheck.org : Blacks and the Democratic Party

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 AM

46 posts, read 79,260 times
The first African American newspaper was the Freedom's Journal printed out of New York in 1927. The first Black millionaire was Madame C. J. Walker. The D.C. metro area has the most HBCU students and there are a few more recognizable historically black neighborhoods in America than Sweet Auburn. In my opinion you have to rank the most powerful Black communities by time period. Due to the lack of free blacks in the deep south most of the power brokers in the Black community were north of the Mason Dixon line. In the 18th century Philadelphia was the most prominent city for Blacks followed by Boston. In the first half of the 19th century the northern cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Cincinatti still led but smaller northern cities contributed with the first HBCU's in Ohio and Pennsylvania. During this time period D.C., Baltimore and New Orleans by themselves had a larger free Black population than most of the northern cities combined but under restraints were less powerful. After the Civil War starting with the reconstruction period the south contained over 95% of America's Black population, southern cities flourished with Baltimore, D.C. and New Orleans becoming the most powerful urban centers for African Americans with other southern cities like Richmond, Memphis, Atlanta, St Louis, Louisville and Charleston following behind. D.C., Baltimore, Louisville and St Louis had an advantage over the other southern cities because they were on the winning side and were not war ravaged like Richmond and Atlanta. After reconstruction and with the Plessy vs Fergerson court decision and the rise of the klan most southern black communities are disenfranchised, D.C. and Baltimore are semi-disenfranchised being in a border state and D.C. having hundreds of northern abolitionist. Also D.C. and Baltimore further their Black population lead over other southern cities. The 20th century sees the North rise again because of the great migration and in the 1920's New York takes the lead as the largest Black urban center soon followed by Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit. Los Angeles and San Francisco become major Black urban centers during the second great migration from WWII through the early 1970's. Reverse migration starts in the 1970's with Atlanta, D.C., Miami, Houston and Dallas either already retaking the lead or soon to retake the lead on all northern cities except New York.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
It's all superficial, so is it really benefiting us to all vote for the same party like you claim it somehow has? I mean, have the Democrats really helped black people?
It's one of America's modern myths that the noble federal government came swooping down and imposed racial equality. The fact is that the federal government was pretty indifferent to the rights of African Americans and in some cases fought tooth and nail against them. The feds finally got on board, but only with much foot dragging and half-hearted support. Had it not been for the constant prodding and legal action by organizations like the NAACP there's no telling how long it would have taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta